rear brk pads and trailer pulling

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

rear brk pads and trailer pulling

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello from Cecil. Now I know that the more aggressive pads eat the rotors, and that the rotors are quite expensive. My question is, what does everyone use when pulling a trailer? Would it be wise to keep a set of aggressive pads:for the rear: around for the times I take a long trip with the trailer and switch back, when home from the trip. Or do the less aggressive pads seem to do the job? I ride 1up on my trips so I won't be loaded down very heavy.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Furchin
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: rear brk pads and trailer pulling

Post by Furchin »

I can't imagine that there would be any good reason to switch brake pads for a trip with the trailer other than maybe your own peace of mind. I have never thought of changing my pads to anything other than stock Kawi units or ebc's. To date I have not experienced any problem with these pads while pulling my trailer.
'87 Kawasaki Zl600 Eliminator-Red
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Black
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Pearl White
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Red
'96 Kawasaki Voyager
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: rear brk pads and trailer pulling

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Keep in mind that it can take a couple hundred miles to fully seat (or re-seat) a set of brake pads. You might need the benefit of all your braking ability before they get fully seated in.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”