Wiring of LED lights of trailer??

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): None
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wiring of LED lights of trailer??

Post by Jim Loiselle »

The problem I am having is that I have five(5) wires from the bike and four(4) to the trailer. I have running and turn lights, but no brake lights. Do I need a five to four plug or do I need to run a brake wire? :gmad:
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Wiring of LED lights of trailer??

Post by doug of so fla »

Jim it sounds like you have the same problem I have and I can not find a 5 to four adapter so I am just going to pull the five wire harness off the bike and put a 4 wire on that matches the trailer. It will be the Hoppy converter unit for $14.00 at Walmart. I have done many MC trailer wiring projects so it is not a big deal. I use a terminal that folds over MC wire and when it folds together it forms a female blade receptacle. Then attache the male blade connector to the trailer wire harness wire end. This way you can plug in the trailer harness into your wires on the XII. Makes for easy installation & removal. Never had a connection problem with these terminals.
doug of no fla
Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): None

Post by Jim Loiselle »

Thanks Doug, We will give it a try. Jim
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Jim Loiselle wrote:The problem I am having is that I have five(5) wires from the bike and four(4) to the trailer. I have running and turn lights, but no brake lights. Do I need a five to four plug or do I need to run a brake wire? :gmad:
Jim,

You can't connect the 5 wire system on your bike to a 4 wire system on your trailer without a converter, such as the Hoppy. You CAN connect the 5 wire system on your bike to your trailer IF your provide separate turn and stop lights instead of a combined light. The use of LED lighting will allow you to connect to your factory wiring without the use of load relays that would be required if using standard incandescent lighting, and is the preferred lighting for any vehicle, both for reasons of reliability and low current draw. There are very few factory wiring systems that can't utilize LED, but there ARE some. Chances are you don't have one of these. Even when using low current LED's, always fuse each circuit to ensure any short that occurs in your trailer wiring does not get to your factory wiring. The factory wiring IS protected by fusing, but why take the chance? Fuses are cheap. Good luck with your project.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”