Louder horn

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Mr Clean
Streetster
Streetster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Louder horn

Post by Mr Clean »

Hey gang,
I 'm looking for a louder horn and I was looking at the STEBEL horn. Have any of you folks used one and is it just a plug&play or do I need to put in a larger relay?
Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner.
Liberty: A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do
Mongo

Re: Louder horn

Post by Mongo »

I have a Steblel too but have not installed it yet
The weak little horn is a pethetic waist and I really can't believe that a giant bike like my Voyager has such a weak little horn.

It would be a good idea to add a high current relay to activate the horn.
My Stebel comes with this relay.

Your brother in Christ

Van
Mr Clean wrote:Hey gang,
I 'm looking for a louder horn and I was looking at the STEBEL horn. Have any of you folks used one and is it just a plug&play or do I need to put in a larger relay?
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

I installed a Bad Boy air horn and did install the 30 amp aux relay that comes with it. PLENTY loud, and I do agree that the stock horn is pretty whimpy for such a big bike. I was really ashamed to even use the thing. It would be more appropriate for a Honda 50 or some scooter :gig:
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

Hey Turbo, good to hear the sound of the horn can match the size of the bike now :gig: Did you need to order a special bracket or were you able to just use the original horn's mount?
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman wrote:Hey Turbo, good to hear the sound of the horn can match the size of the bike now :gig: Did you need to order a special bracket or were you able to just use the original horn's mount?
Hi proseman.

I was able to use the original bracket, but you only have one position that you can mount the Bad Boy without causing interference with something else. Also, I added a hose clamp around the mounting bracket just as a precaution in case the bolt came loose. The hose clamp won't allow the horn assembly to just slide off. You'll see what I mean if that's what you choose to go with. I then painted the horn flat black, so it's barely noticable. You'll also like the sound :-)
Turbo4x4
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

Turbo4x4 wrote:
proseman wrote:Hey Turbo, good to hear the sound of the horn can match the size of the bike now :gig: Did you need to order a special bracket or were you able to just use the original horn's mount?
Hi proseman.

I was able to use the original bracket, but you only have one position that you can mount the Bad Boy without causing interference with something else. Also, I added a hose clamp around the mounting bracket just as a precaution in case the bolt came loose. The hose clamp won't allow the horn assembly to just slide off. You'll see what I mean if that's what you choose to go with. I then painted the horn flat black, so it's barely noticable. You'll also like the sound :-)

Well I'm sold :clap: Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to giving my big guy a big voice!!!
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman,

If you'd like, I can try and take some pics of the install and post them. Not sure how well they'll turn out, 'cause it's kinda dark up in there, but will try if you want.
Turbo4x4
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

Turbo4x4 wrote:proseman,

If you'd like, I can try and take some pics of the install and post them. Not sure how well they'll turn out, 'cause it's kinda dark up in there, but will try if you want.
Thanks for the offer! I'd love to see how it looks mounted if you can get some light in there. I also found it on ebay and ordered yesterday :gig: They should be sending your your commission check any day now :wnk2:
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
MadDad

Post by MadDad »

Mr Clean wrote:Hey gang,
It comes with a relay, use it. I mounted mine where the OEM horn was mounted. Have to look for it to see it. Is it loud, OH YEAH!!!
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman,

Oh crap. That just means more taxes. Sorry, I was busy building a dog kennel for my 3 year old yellow Lab today and just got around to checking email. I'll get some pictures for you tomorrow. Congrats on ordering the Bad Boy. I don't know anything about the other brand that is being discussed, but I'm sure about the Bad Boy, and I know you'll like it. You can send my commission to...... :gig:
Turbo4x4
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman,

Just to give you a little taste of what you can expect from the Bad Boy, your Voyager will now sound like a locomotive when you give the horn a toot :-)
Turbo4x4
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote:proseman,

Thanks for the offer! I'd love to see how it looks mounted if you can get some light in there. I also found it on ebay and ordered yesterday :gig: They should be sending your your commission check any day now :wnk2:
Hi proseman.

Sorry, had a few friends drop by yesterday and got sidetracked by a welding project. Here's the pictures I promised. I think they'll give you a good idea of how to position the horn. The picture of the relay isn't the greatest, but will also give you an idea of how I mounted it. I used the same bolt to mount both the horn and the relay. You'll also be able to see the hose clamp I added to ensure the horn goes nowhere if the bolt ever loosens. Hope this helps.

Turbo4x4
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

Hey Turbo,
Thanks for the photos. It's looks pretty straight forward. I got the horn on Saturday around the same time that the rain started (and continues as I write this 2-days later...). It's supposed to dry up for the weekend so I'll be installing it before my next ride. I can't believe I'm excited about a stupid horn... :gig:

From what I read in the directions, you can use the existing wiring. May I ask why you decided to use the relay too?
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman wrote:Hey Turbo,
Thanks for the photos. It's looks pretty straight forward. I got the horn on Saturday around the same time that the rain started (and continues as I write this 2-days later...). It's supposed to dry up for the weekend so I'll be installing it before my next ride. I can't believe I'm excited about a stupid horn... :gig:

From what I read in the directions, you can use the existing wiring. May I ask why you decided to use the relay too?
Hi proseman.

The reason I used the relay wasn't so much to protect the wiring (although that was certainly part of it) as it was to protect the horn switch. The horn pulls enough current that, without use of the relay, it could permanently damage the horn switch from the continued arcing when pressing and releasing the horn button. Now, this would take some time, of course, but why take the chance? Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :-)
Turbo4x4
wombat

Post by wombat »

proseman wrote:Hey Turbo,

I used the relay after trying it with the existing wiring. Worked a few times and then blew the fuse. :oops:
It could potentially melt the wiring so I definitely recommend you use the relay.

Just out of interest, I mounted my Stebel in the same place, but after hitting a pothole, found that the horn had made a small gouge in my front fender. I repositioned and bent the mount so that there was a little more clearance and also cut a section off a clear self-adhesive tank guard and stuck it to the guard to protect the paintwork. Haven't had a problem since, but I also try to avoid any large bumps and holes. ;-)
crank67

Post by crank67 »

I have the Bad Boy also. I got it from Harbor Freight and it's black and chrome. I ended up mounting it in the same location as the pictures but I ended up not using the relay. I tried the relay but for some reason (most likely me...) I couldn't get it to work properly so now I'm using the wiring as is. I've had it on for about 6 months now and no blown fuses and no issues to speak of. I like it more because people weren't really hearing my "finger" when I needed to get attentnion....LOL. I ride in the Northern Virginia/DC area and believe me, I USE IT! lol Keep 'er safe!
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

crank67 wrote: I like it more because people weren't really hearing my "finger" when I needed to get attentnion....LOLb]

LMAO :gig: I think middle fingers should come with volume controls!!
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

I looked at the directions again for the Bad Boy and realized that there were specific instructions for motorcycles to use the relay. They also suggested an inline fuse...

Since it was Easter sunday, all the stores were closed and I couldn't get what I needed for the install. What does everyone think about the necessity of using the fuse?
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

proseman wrote:I looked at the directions again for the Bad Boy and realized that there were specific instructions for motorcycles to use the relay. They also suggested an inline fuse...

Since it was Easter sunday, all the stores were closed and I couldn't get what I needed for the install. What does everyone think about the necessity of using the fuse?
proseman,

When you use the relay, the original horn circuit will now be used to activate the relay, so that's already protected. If you use the aux power terminals beneath the fairing (recommended) to power the horn through the relay, you won't need to fuse it because it's already protected by a 20 factory fuse. If you run a new line directly to the battery, you will most definitely need to fuse it as close to the battery as possible. Much easier to use the aux power terminals beneath the fairing. Good luck !
Turbo4x4
proseman
Streetster
Streetster

Post by proseman »

Once again Turbo you have my thanks. In fact, I'm going to double your commission! :clap:

I was kinda annoyed about the prospect of running a line directly to the battery and forgot all about the aux connector under the faring! That sounds like the way to go.
Phil
Secretary/AMA Rep
Queensboro MC
Est. 1910

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”