Louder horn

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

MadDad
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Louder horn

Post by MadDad »

proseman wrote:Once again Turbo you have my thanks. In fact, I'm going to double your commission! :clap:

I was kinda annoyed about the prospect of running a line directly to the battery and forgot all about the aux connector under the faring! That sounds like the way to go.
Make sure the one under the fairing has a 20 amp fuse, or was it 30 amp??
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

MadDad wrote:
proseman wrote:Once again Turbo you have my thanks. In fact, I'm going to double your commission! :clap:

I was kinda annoyed about the prospect of running a line directly to the battery and forgot all about the aux connector under the faring! That sounds like the way to go.
MadDad,
The Aux Power connectors are protected with a 20 amp fuse. The thing to remember is that ALL aux connectors, under the fairing, under the seat, the plug in 12 volt recepticle in the fairing, PLUS the fog lights are all on this circuit. So, even though there's a 20 amp fuse on this, the fog lights alone, when they're on, draw 6 amps total, and while you're activating the horn, you're drawing 10 amps. That only leaves you 4 amps in reserve, so be careful how many items you connect to the aux power circuit. I would imagine that with fog lights on, heated gloves and jacket on, that one long toot of the horn would be enough to take the fuse out. There will come a point when all the toys we will be adding to our steeds will require we just suck it up and run a dedicated, fused, power line directly to the battery. :-D
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
MadDad

Post by MadDad »

Turbo4x4 wrote:
MadDad wrote:

MadDad,
The Aux Power connectors are protected with a 20 amp fuse. The thing to remember is that ALL aux connectors, under the fairing, under the seat, the plug in 12 volt recepticle in the fairing, PLUS the fog lights are all on this circuit. So, even though there's a 20 amp fuse on this, the fog lights alone, when they're on, draw 6 amps total, and while you're activating the horn, you're drawing 10 amps. That only leaves you 4 amps in reserve, so be careful how many items you connect to the aux power circuit. I would imagine that with fog lights on, heated gloves and jacket on, that one long toot of the horn would be enough to take the fuse out. There will come a point when all the toys we will be adding to our steeds will require we just suck it up and run a dedicated, fused, power line directly to the battery. :-D
Guess what I meant and should have said was it would be better to run a heavy fused wire directly to the horn. Don't remember if it calls for a 20 or 30 amp fuse.
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

MadDad,

Yeah, the horn will probably be one of the heaviest electrical loads that we'll be adding, so that's not a bad idea. At one point or another, an additional line is going to be necessary to power all the toys, particularly the 50 megawatt deer vaporizing front fender guard ! Thank goodness the VV has a huge alternator :-D
Turbo4x4
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

i used an inverted torx head bolt and mounted my badboy horn to the upper rad. mount and the realy to the original horn mount. ran fused power right from the battery under the gas tank. man that horn is LOUD :windy: blows every one away

Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
1st one
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Post by 1st one »

You all are right on the money when you describe the original sound quality of the factory horn. I have just replaced the horn on my 1700 with one that I purchased from Princes Auto for $18.00. It's made in the USA by FIAMM
This is what it says on the Box
F 72112 LOW TONE
FREEWAY BLASTER
HORN
Original Equipment Horn Manufacturer
Big Rig Sound - Twice as Loud
132 decibles
O Ya its loud, real loud my wife thinks its louder than my 2008 Ford F150.
If your back tire lasts more than a season,
Then your not riding enough

2009 Voyager
1st One
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

AudiDoc,

Nice picture ! As the saying goes "Ride swiftly and carry a big horn". Humm...I may have misquoated just slightly :gig:
Turbo4x4
Sansfaute

Post by Sansfaute »

I installed a Strebel horn using the relay supplied i tapped into the Aux wiring behind the Fairing with an inline fuse......... works great scared the S*** outta the GF
I hear the train acommin.... commin round the bend
Sansfaute

Post by Sansfaute »

Sansfaute wrote:I installed a Strebel horn using the relay supplied i tapped into the Aux wiring behind the Fairing with an inline fuse......... works great scared the S*** outta the GF
I hear the train acommin.... commin round the bend
:thmup:
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

OK, Sansfaute, I'm stupid, and I can't figure out what the "GF" stands for. Grand Father? General Foreman? Girl Friend? God Father? Griddle Flipper? Help !!!
Turbo4x4
vmaxed

Post by vmaxed »

I installed the same horn today :thmup:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-b ... gn=product
1st one wrote:You all are right on the money when you describe the original sound quality of the factory horn. I have just replaced the horn on my 1700 with one that I purchased from Princes Auto for $18.00. It's made in the USA by FIAMM
This is what it says on the Box
F 72112 LOW TONE
FREEWAY BLASTER
HORN
Original Equipment Horn Manufacturer
Big Rig Sound - Twice as Loud
132 decibles
O Ya its loud, real loud my wife thinks its louder than my 2008 Ford F150.
2011 Pearl White/Vogue Silver Victory Cross Country
2009 Metallic Silver Goldwing
Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff
http://www.ednortonsr.com
patvail
Current bike(s): Voyager 2010

Post by patvail »

At the risk of sounding stupid...

I can't find the aux plug under the fairing. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

patvail wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid...

I can't find the aux plug under the fairing. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
patvail,

There is no "plug" actually. There are two wires with large connectors covered with a clear plastic insulated cover with a slight yellow tint. If you're looking at the bike from the front with the fairing off, they would be located to the right of the radio a couple of inches and down a little bit.
Turbo4x4
patvail
Current bike(s): Voyager 2010

Post by patvail »

Excellent!

Thanks Turbo
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
jhellman
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager

Post by jhellman »

I added a PIAA horn a few days ago. It's a 115 dB and only pulls 5 amps, same as the factory horn, so no relay. While not the 139 dB from the Stebel or Bad Boy air horns, it's more compact, fits easily (after bending the mount) and is still pretty darn loud. When I pulled the factory horn, it is imprinted 105 dB, pretty mild for a motorcycle horn.
Joe Hellman
Central Point, OR
mike.punko

Post by mike.punko »

It's nice reading about horn upgrades for loudness instead of muffler upgrades for the same thing. Loud pipes don't saves lives, it makes people ignore you adn turn up thier radios. But a good horn will teach other drivers a lesson when you scare the s**t out of them. HEHE
veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700

Post by veeger »

My shop is installing the chrome Stebel this week (I have no patience and even less ability). Stock horn on the big Voyager is the "Mike Tyson's voice" of the boxing world! :gig:
Fooch
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): Proud owner of a Blue 2011 Voyager.

Post by Fooch »

I'd like to know how well the Freeway Blaster works. How well it fits. And if it does okay without the relay.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Fooch wrote:I'd like to know how well the Freeway Blaster works. How well it fits. And if it does okay without the relay.
I personally would not run any horn that draws more amperage without using a relay. The weak link is the horn button and you don't want to break the horn button.
2010 Voyager 1700
Skibou
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII

Post by Skibou »

David,

I can't tell you how well the Friamm will fit on a 1700, because I've got a 1200 on which I've installed both the high and low tone Friamm horns, (they fit nicely), but boy are they loud! So loud that I've bought a second pair for another use. I don't have a garage, and have to keep my bike in one of those fold over storage shelters. Unfortunately I've suffered some theft, and now my shelter emits a VERY loud blast if it is opened without my first disarming it.

Gene

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”