Louder horn

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Louder horn

Post by veeger »

The Stebel is awesome! It mounted where the original horn was. Shop compressed the forks and found enough clearance. I road tested it by bottoming out (wasn't my intent) and it did not hit front fender. It is dual tone and LOUD! Coulda gone without the chrome as you really can't see it but it's done. Now if Kawasaki only located the horn button a little closer.....
veeger
jaster
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by jaster »

jhellman wrote:I added a PIAA horn a few days ago. It's a 115 dB and only pulls 5 amps, same as the factory horn, so no relay. While not the 139 dB from the Stebel or Bad Boy air horns, it's more compact, fits easily (after bending the mount) and is still pretty darn loud. When I pulled the factory horn, it is imprinted 105 dB, pretty mild for a motorcycle horn.
Here's the problem with dB ratings... What distance was the sound measured? Stebel lists the NAUTILUS COMPACT as:
115 dB/139 dB (at 2 meters/at 4 inches from the source)

I believe 2m is the industrial standard for dB measurements (feel free to correct me). I can't find at what distance PIAA horns are tested but it's possible they're just as loud as the Stebel.

A note about the wiring. My XII came with Freeway Blasters wired to the horn switch. I discovered this when I tried to use the horns at an intersection and got nothing. If the bike wasn't running around 1000RPM, the horn wouldn't work. Adding a relay is all it took to get the horn working at idle. I replaced the horns anyway because I didn't know how old they were or if the low voltage could have caused any harm (doubtful but new ones were on sale for $20).
Fooch
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): Proud owner of a Blue 2011 Voyager.

Post by Fooch »

Although I'd love to get the Stebel, I'm trying to keep things simple and avoid the relay if possible. vmaxed and 1st one are using the Freeway Blaster. jhellman is using the PIAA horn. All are rated at 5 amps and jhellman said that is what the stock horn draws. So either one of those horns may do the trick for me and sounds like they don't need a relay if they draw similar amps to the stock horn. There's no follow up from these 3 users so if any of you could please post how these horns do I'd appreciate it. If all else fails, I'll probably go the Stebel route.

Thanks,
Fooch
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Fooch wrote:Although I'd love to get the Stebel, I'm trying to keep things simple and avoid the relay if possible. vmaxed and 1st one are using the Freeway Blaster. jhellman is using the PIAA horn. All are rated at 5 amps and jhellman said that is what the stock horn draws. So either one of those horns may do the trick for me and sounds like they don't need a relay if they draw similar amps to the stock horn. There's no follow up from these 3 users so if any of you could please post how these horns do I'd appreciate it. If all else fails, I'll probably go the Stebel route.

Thanks,
Fooch
If it doesn't draw more power I doubt it is any louder. Might have a different tone, but I doubt it would be louder.

Come by and I will help you wire up the relay.
2010 Voyager 1700
Fooch
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Fooch »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
Fooch wrote:Although I'd love to get the Stebel, I'm trying to keep things simple and avoid the relay if possible. vmaxed and 1st one are using the Freeway Blaster. jhellman is using the PIAA horn. All are rated at 5 amps and jhellman said that is what the stock horn draws. So either one of those horns may do the trick for me and sounds like they don't need a relay if they draw similar amps to the stock horn. There's no follow up from these 3 users so if any of you could please post how these horns do I'd appreciate it. If all else fails, I'll probably go the Stebel route.

Thanks,
Fooch
If it doesn't draw more power I doubt it is any louder. Might have a different tone, but I doubt it would be louder.

Come by and I will help you wire up the relay.
Thanks for the invite. I wish I had the time to come up there and get out of HOT Floriduh for a while. Maybe someday.
Fooch
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Fooch »

Learn something new every day. Thanks to jhellman and 1st one for their assistance. I was unable to find the FIAMM Freeway Blaster at a local store. Somehow, I found one on the NAPA website. But it's the BALKAMP brand, same exact horn. I learned that BALKAMP is a subsidiary of NAPA. It's other companies products with BALKAMP packaging sold in NAPA stores. The horn itself even says FIAMM. I mounted the horn on the top radiator bolt. It gives the horn a little more clearance since it's thicker then the stock horn. Like was said above, it's no Stebel, but it fit the bill. Please check out my installed pic and give me any criticisms/suggestions you may have.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0006392723
1st one
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Post by 1st one »

looks good you could mount its twin on the other side L.O.L.
If your back tire lasts more than a season,
Then your not riding enough

2009 Voyager
1st One
Fooch
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Fooch »

But then I'd probably need the relay which would defeat the whole point of keeping it simple :wnk2: . It's all trial and error anyway. Check back in a year and see if the Stebel is there.
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Now this is a horn! Just mount this dude on the front fender, tank and compressor in the trunk, yer good to go!

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts.co ... oductId=82

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

If you don't want to spend that much, a pair of horns off of a Buick Roadmaster (Like a 1950 model) work pretty good too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”