Alternate Radio Antenna (unintended cosmetic change)

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ksoileau2525
Current bike(s): 2010 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager ABS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Alternate Radio Antenna (unintended cosmetic change)

Post by ksoileau2525 »

HMB Don wrote:There was a tech tip in the Voyagers Voice about the antenna from a Victory MC that is a direct bolt on to 1700 Voyager. It's from J & M audio #VAS-100, I've got it on my Voyager 1700 and it's the same height as the Radio antenna.

There's good info in the Voyagers Voice magazine, but you have to be a AVA member to receive it.

Good Luck

Thanks Don for the come-back, and the info on the Victory M/C. If I understand you correctly, you went with a shorter CB antenna to match the AM/FM radio antenna? If so, did that affect your SWR's on the CB? Being that SWR's are set by lowering or lengthening the antenna. When I ordered my CB, I got it as a package with antenna pre-set to radio on SWR's, so I wouldn't want to change the CB antenna, just the AM/FM antenna, so as not to affect the SWR's on the CB.

Anyway, once again, thanks for your help on this. GOD Bless, and stay safe out there!

Keto
Ozymandias
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2010 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ozymandias »

Please excuse my obtuseness, but I am confused as to whether the VAS-100 is a direct replacement for the stock AM/FM/WX antenna or for the CB antenna. I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me. I lost my stock antenna on a ride recently and I refuse to spend $115 for something I can either buy for $20 or rig up myself. Thank you for any help any one can provide.
Danny
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by Danny »

I'm new here. In fact about 15 minutes new, and have already learned something. The radio antenna is a great fix. My reception with the stock one ain't all that great. Thanks from a new guy.

Danny,
Voyagyn 2014
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager
2005 Drifter 1500
2014 Voyager

Post by Voyagyn 2014 »

For all those who were wanting the antenna from Auto Zone I found one here in Tx. The brand is Raptor and the Pn# is AW-RM22SB and the SKU# is 8642908009. This is the exact mast as described in this thread and the bolt is also correct. Worked like a champ...and I can already tell a difference in reception.
Hope this helps
Voyagyn2014
tfraz58

Post by tfraz58 »

ANOTHER repair using this technique! Perfect fit with the Autozone antenna and hacksawed bolt as specified!! THANK you for saving me over $100.00. Bonus:In my opinion this antenna actually looks nicer than the original stubbier one. :woohoo:
rock42
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2015 Kawasaki voyager
1995 Harley dyna wide glide
1975 Goldwing
1982 goldwing interstate

Post by rock42 »

also check pilot and flying j for antenna might be on there and the other thing when do we receive voyager voice, i have been a member only a month or so. is it quartley or monthly just curious :-D

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”