adjustable tongue weight(long post)

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

garry
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

adjustable tongue weight(long post)

Post by garry »

I have a home made trailer with car carrier box. the whole unit fill to the max with every camping thing i have is 260 lbs. tongue weight is 25 lbs. yea I know about 10 %percent and all that. I dont want 25 lbs I want maybe
15 to 20 lbs. Here is the Question. Is there any thing dangerous with moving the box back 5 or 8 inches. this will let it hang off rear of trailer about 6 inches. I have try this.It does bring tonge weight down. Im I missing somethings.
Take Care- Garry
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 226 times

Re: adjustable tongue weight(long post)

Post by Me Again »

I have a long skinny trailer (7 ft X 3ft box) and I shifted it back 6 inches to bring down the tongue weight . I have used it that way for over 10 years and the only time I had trouble was when I got the tongue weight to low.
About the only thing I accomplished was breaking a tail light because I backed it into a cement block and had no bumper to protect it.
You will be better of off just shifting something from front to back to get the tongue weight you are looking for.
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser
Been liked: 0

Re: adjustable tongue weight(long post)

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

25 lbs tongue weight should be right in the ball park for towing without adverse affects. If your tongue weight is too light, the trailer will start to wag behind you. I usually run around 35 lbs tongue with everything loaded in my trailer when the wife and dog are along.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”