Who's got the best suspension ??

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Who's got the best suspension ??

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Hey Gene, does that computer program also help with static and dynamic loads on your system or did you have to calculate those yourself? Looking at those lever arms and pivots and angled shock absorber, it sure looks pretty interesting.
2010 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

No sadlly our software has its limits, but we have many books and web sites tagged for info and formulas.
OH and years of hands on experience.
After looking that old 'torsion arm' over a bit I dislike it even more. note the wear that is occuring on the inside wall of the tubing. eventually it will just open up the tube and let the axle leave the trailer.

After messing with a fixture for a few hours I gave it up. could not verify it. So this is how Im doing it now.
Of course the area will be cleaned up of oils and the machine covered in tin sheets, and the chuck will be bolted down. But it will be parrellel.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

:thk: More PIC'S
Hello everyone, So far only two revisions on the original drawing. The two arms for the shocks, with a tube spacer, has now been changed to a waterjet part.( show to left of the spacer). And the three parts are now welded as one assm. The second revision was the relief (.280") for clearence of the shock tube.
The welding was the most difficult procedure so far, I don't weld as much anymore unless I'm here at home and didn't want to bother the welders at work. I'm grateful that I can use the waterjet there, and this project took 14 parts , cut out with that machine. Two parts left to do; on the lathe and all pcs's will have been machined. I am hoping to to have it ready for a road test , next weekend before the really bad weather kicks in here in N.J. Gene Kap

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:Following this thread with much interest. I sure hope it rides like you want it to when you are done. If I ever go with a trailer it will probably be a "unigo" or something similar because I like to ride where I want and don't want to have to think about getting too close to the edge of the lane.
HI David, If you look at the first pic in this thread you can see this is a very narrow trailer. at best I think it hangs out about 2inch's beyond my mirrors. Measured the trailer width and it's 36.5" wide. I could not get over to my bike to measure the width of the mirrors. ( its covered up with moving blankets while I weld and paint in the shop ) But is very narrow and suits my needs to carry an old army cot to lay on and fold up chair with a tv tray. Gene Kap.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Well this one is a done deal. I set the 3/16 plates on a bed of epoxy and set the suspension in place this afternoon. Had to move quick at that point to get it all aligned up. Getting it aligned was not all that different from a car's front end. Now its a night to set up, and tomorrow cotter pin the four nuts and adjust the tire pressure. And on its wheels it goes.

chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

The trailer suspension look good let me know how it works. I have a trailer that has torsion suspension it's low miles but someday I might change it . :thmup:
Something else to think about is adding some type of surge brake system. :hmm:
I am building a 1 wheel trailer and used a front motorcycle wheel with the disc brakes on, took the master cylinder off a bike and made a new housing out of a 1-1/2" sq. aluminum bar mounted it in the tube I used for the tong the only think you can see is the reservare and the line going to the brakes.
working it by hand seems to work vary well I just have to finish up the trailer to road test it.
I can send you some Pics if you are interested.
The only other thing I noticed is it look like you have the same problem I have The work aria keeps shrinking. : :gig:
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Kevin. Sure, send or post some pics. With winter not even here yet and this project done I'll be looking for something to do. A busy man is a happy man !
The weather here is supposed to be fair and in the 60's this four day weekend and I have someone coming over to help me flip this trailer over on its wheels tonight. So this is the big weekend for me. I'll have to re-attach the top and I need to make a new lock striker , then its down the road with it.
Would like to see the one wheel trailer suspension your building. Do you have access to a water-jet ?
Keep me in mind if you need some odd shape pieces made up. Gene Kap.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

SUSPENSION UPDATE, Well a nice day here in New Jersey and my test ride went better than I had planned.
Started out with 60 lbs. of gear in the trailer,a six pack of water in the cooler. Tire pressure at 50psi and had 22 lbs on the tounge. Drove the back roads first 5 miles to see how it would track and then out on the concrete slabs of every county and state road I could find. Toured around southern Jersey for 64 miles finding every poor road I could find. My first stop was in 10 miles to check things out and change the shock settings to the first notch. Rode smother than I hoped even over railroad tracks at about 65mph. Hoping for some nice weather tomrrow to get some more miles on her. Didn't even know it was behind me. Stopped at a yard sale and found some camping gear and threw that in the back also. Now I have a 700 dollar trailer with a 1000 dollar suspension. Start to finish I have about a full week of labor into the job. not counting water-jet cutting time at where I work, (about 2.5hrs. for 14 parts.) But It was all worth it. Wasn't sure If I needed to fabricate a anti-sway bar and link kits but out on the four lane it rode well at 75 to 80. I was ready to sell this trailer, now I might feel ok spending the money on painting it. :hpdc: Gene Kap.

Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Great news, Gene! Let's have some right-side-up pics in and about the wheel wells. Bet they look good!

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Sounds like it was time well spent. Now you can enjoy travelling even more.
2010 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello all, well its been 400 plus miles on the trailer now, Hard miles, didn't miss not one pot hole. I pounded this poor thing all over to try and make it fail. Checked the alignment this week and it stayed put. So since I am without a doubt anal retentive I wanted to attach the suspension to what little frame I have. And with a water-jet at my disposal made up the FINAL two parts to add to this retro. Total count on parts were 26 manufactured pieces, 4 seals, 4cones, 4cups, two grease fittings, 2 shocks, 18 bolts,nuts,washers...Now I can start to make this into a one man camper. the bed will fold open and a custom made tent will be fabricated. I am now looking forward to traveling with it, finally. Gene Kap

David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

So, are you also a master tent maker as well as machinist? You going to ride that rig out to Kanab and show it off?
2010 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:So, are you also a master tent maker as well as machinist? You going to ride that rig out to Kanab and show it off?
Time will tell if I am a master tent maker, this will be my first attempt. I may just auto-cad what I require and have a tent/manufacture co. make one up if the cost is within reason.
I would love to get out to Kanab this year and meet all the people of the AVA. Time off work is the rough point in my life. Working for a small Co. that has not been hit from the recession, it is hard for me to even take two weeks in a row off... If I do ride out there it will be without having time to make reservations at motels/camp sites. And as I become more of a senior rider the wife really worries about me traveling by myself anymore. I would like to know if there are any riders close to NJ that are heading out there, that I could meet up with. Gene Kap.
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Gene,

Very very nice engineering. I've gotta ask you though.....it looks like your prepping your suspension to haul an Abrams M1A1. Got a big party planned ??? :thmup:
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Turbo4x4 wrote:Gene,

Very very nice engineering. I've gotta ask you though.....it looks like your prepping your suspension to haul an Abrams M1A1. Got a big party planned ??? :thmup:
No,,not at all. the darned oem system could haul a tank. That was the original problem, NO GIVE whatever, the half axles were rated at 500 lbs. this is a much,much softer suspension and now I can run the recommended tire air pressure to reduce tire wear. Everyone who has the suspension I had, dump's the air pressure in the tires and you end up hauling two half flat tires around. And still have 0.0 % of dampening due to lack of oil/shocks. Then you end up with tire problems. When I first pulled this trailer it bounced all over the road, now I'll pick up two dozen eggs and won't break one. I honestly don't know its back there and its a small trailer to begin with , the same width as my Voyager mirrors, so if the bike fits the trailer's got to go also. Believe me I have been giving this suspension hell for the past couple of months on the worst roads I can find and have not launched it into the air not once. I have even pulled it stone empty.
Thank you for the compliment on my engineering , allot of thought and research went into this. with the shocks springs set at the lowest setting I can haul 125 lbs. without bottoming out. Set to the highest setting I can get into the back and jump up and down and not bottom out the shocks and I weigh in at 245 lbs. I figure what I will take on a trip will equal about 170 lbs total weight . That will leave some leeway to purchase things out on vacation. Gene Kap.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

ekap1200 wrote: And as I become more of a senior rider the wife really worries about me traveling by myself anymore. I would like to know if there are any riders close to NJ that are heading out there, that I could meet up with. Gene Kap.
You might want to post this request in the general section of the forum. Might get more attention.

I am hoping to take 3 weeks off in June / July so I can explore CO, WY, and UT with the rally on the last week of my trip.
2010 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Thanks David, but who in their right mind would want to drive the 2460.0 miles to Kanab in just a few days with me.
Heck,, I would not want to, I would much more prefer a month of doing 350 to 400 a day and enjoy the sights. I keep telling my wife the day I retire I'm leaving on the bike and not coming home for a summer. I will be pulling the trailer out there for its first long/distance trip before I invest into paint and the flipover bed-board and fabricated tent top. My only concern is the speed rating on the tires I purchaced from ( Tractor Supply ) ! or lack of / can't seem to find it on the tires. But on one of my test runs around here I got on the interstate and after one non-stop 200 mile point to point ; I stopped and the tires showed no signs of heat or cupping. See Ya in Kanab
Gene Kap.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Gene

Looking at the tread pattern on your tires; I have the same tire and size. Mine are the 2 ply and I got them new for the New York, AVA Rally. Pulled trailer from CA to NY and last year to De Gray and back in 112 degree heat. I pull a timeout Trailer when loaded it tips the scales at 400 plus, tire pressure is #45. My speed is 67 mph on the 1200 speedo, last year after De Gray, my wife asked if I could pick up the pace a bit, so I rode at 72 mph again on the 1200 speedo, 2002 Voyager with E-3 Dunlop tires, superbrace. Average fuel mileage at the 67 mph is 39 to 42 mpg using midgrade gas, I use Shell or Chevron. In Colorado and Utah, Conoco and 66 are also good so that you'll get good power and mileage.

I just got back from the tire shop here in town, and ordered two new trailer tires. After 15,000 miles they've worn down to the ware bars, this time I asked for an upgraded tire. My new tires will be 6 ply. Look forword to meeting you in Kanab.

Are you bringing any of your sockets to sell? I hope you are.

Don Medina
AVA Marketing Director
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
2012 Voyager 1700
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

THANKS DON, but the photo's show the old tires of unknown age, so they have been replaced with new rims and tires from tractor supply. The old tires looked good, Carlyle 4.8-8 but like I said they were old. the new tires are HI-RUN chinese tire's they are 5.7-8 and one inch larger in diameter, that just makes it in my wheel well ,should I bottom out the shocks.
I have had them up to 80 and beyond and they are cool to the touch after a super-slab 200 mile run to a fuel stop. I have had other riders with me, so I have abused this trailer on many a pot hole that I can aim for. Guess I would have blown one out if it was a poor tire. So I guess Im just being paranoid. First long trip with a trailer and a scheduled destination. And there is no worse of a feeling than being out on the road by yourself with any tire problem. But more so if your supposed to pick up your wife 2300 hundred miles away. Gene Kap.

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”