Trailering advice

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

SilverBullet
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailering advice

Post by SilverBullet »

Lately I've been thinking about pulling a trailer with my Voyager. I have never ridden a bike before with a trailer. I would be using the trailer to transport my dirt bike. What concerns me is the high center of gravity of the dirt bike sitting up on the trailer. I also will need to drive a couple miles on some forestry access roads (maintained dirt fire roads with some loose gravel). Is this asking for big trouble pulling a trailer? All advice welcomed.

Dirt bike weight is 245 lbs wet, I figure a lightweight trailer should be around 250 lbs so total of only 500 lbs to pull which seems well within the Voyager's ability. Here is a good example I found on the web.
http://dmulk.com/blog/wp-content/galler ... dv/004.jpg

_
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Trailering advice

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I don't remember the name, but I have seen a single rail trailer that sits lower to the ground than the one on the picture. Pretty pricey though.

If you already have good dirtbike skills you shouldn't have much trouble with what you propose doing.

Good Luck.
2010 Voyager 1700
voyager 2002
Streetster
Streetster

Post by voyager 2002 »

i have hauled a Honda silverwing 600 behind the 12 with no problem at all just got to watch your stoping. have pulled a camper from west to east no problem just watch your stoping . but just this week i put electric brakes on the camper and what a difference it makes sure is nice not having the camper pushing us all the time only thing i want to change is that the trailer brakes only with the rear foot brakes not the hand brakes
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

The trailer would have to be wide enough to keep it from tipping over after hitting something like a pothole. The problem with a trailer light enough to to be able to be pulled behind a Voyager with a bike on it, would be the ease of which rough pavement or dirt roads would pitch the trailer to one side or the other. I've often thought about trailering my scooter behind the Voyager and I always come back to the stability of the trailer and its cargo on rough pavement seams and holes, etc., as my limiting factor.

Just want to double and triple check the tie-downs on the cycle/trailer combo. Then check them again, LOL.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”