Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII?

Post by debron »

This question has probably been asked but I couldn't find anything searching the forum.

I'm considering buying a Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII. I realize where the prejudices lie in this forum, but I would be interested in your thoughts and opinions on the two bikes.

Thanks for you input!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Tom(North Alabama)
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager II
2002 BMW k1200LTE - sold
Been liked: 0

Re: Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII?

Post by Tom(North Alabama) »

Hi Debron, welcome to the forum.
I bought an '05 Venture a couple of years ago, trying to decide if I wanted to keep it or the '02 Voyager I already had.

I liked the looks of the Venture, not necesarily the V-4 engine, I found it to be very much lacking in power especially at highway speeds, I am used to driving in 5th gear on the Voyager and being able to speed up, not so on the Venture, the engine just does not seem to have the power without downshifting the whole bike shakes when trying to speed up. Over all the comfort on the Venture is good, really liked the intercom/radio/cb. Not a big fan of the fork mounted fairing, it seemed like it caused the bike to be a little unstable in cross winds.

I enjoyed the bike but really did not feel that it was a step up from the Voyager, so I sold it.

I really believe you will be impressed with Voyager if you decide to purchase it. :thmup:
'02 Voyager XII
'08 Concours 14 - sold
'02 BMW K1200LTE
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Tom(North Alabama) wrote:Hi Debron, welcome to the forum.
I bought an '05 Venture a couple of years ago, trying to decide if I wanted to keep it or the '02 Voyager I already had.
Thanks Tom! However, I'm looking at a first gen Venture Royale (an '89) rather than the Royal Star Venture (99-present.) Same name (almost) and same engine (almost) but different bikes.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Those Venture Royales were very cool bikes back in the day. Saw one when I was 19 and riding my XS750 'touring' bike. Thought that some day I would get one of those.

This is something you should look into when considering the Yamaha over the Kawasaki. The Voyager was made through '03 so the availability of newer used parts will be better. We have Carl Leo (our resident guru) who supplies us with new and used parts plus a wealth of knowledge and expertise through this forum.

You might want to check and see what kind of support the Royale still has before making your decision.
2010 Voyager 1700
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Thanks David. The fact that the Voyagers ran for 10 years longer and therefore parts and accessories may be more readily available has certainly crossed my mind!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

I had the VR up to this spring. It was an 89 model and a very nice bike. The noise factor behind the screen is higher than that of the Voyager12, but MUCH less than the Honda GL.

Power is "adequate" and that's about it. There's enough spare to pass and to climb, but the whole "grip and rip" idea is alien to the bike. The Voyager12 is a genuine touring bike, but still has a little thrill hiding under that top cover.

Riding wise, the VR is easy in the straights and nice on the back roads and twisties, but doesn't hold a candle to the Voyager12. The feel of the two in the twisties is like comparing a manual steering car to one with power steering.

The ride "feel" is split. On the Voyager, it feels like a touring bike at low speeds and something of a thrill machine at higher speeds, while remaining very stable and comfortable at the same time. . . . However, in town, the VR did often feel a tad better in tight traffic... For me though, this is heavily offset with the fact that I was much more comfortable on the Voyager12 in stop and start, as well as all other conditions.

The lean angle potential is better on the VR (clearance wise) but functionally, the Voyager12 is happier there too.

The Venture Royale's fairing is something of a joke from my point of view. It wasn't very effective in general riding conditions, and was down right poor in less than favorable conditions. I'm a short man and still had to have a taller wind screen, so installed an aftermarket one.

The general layout of both bikes is comfortable, but the Voyager12 takes the edge for me here as well. One thing I didn't really like about the VR was the riding position. I rode in a forward lean that put me in "push up" mode and left me with "bench press" shoulder aches. Installing different bars on the bike did help this, but then made the bike feel even worse in anything but straight line riding (which I don't do much of).

Mild and inexpensive tweaks for the Voyager12 enhance it greatly. Such as progressive springs and such. The VR can be treated the same, but needs much more time and money to make the bike fit the rider (in my case).

Towing with the VR was atrocious. Plain and simple. I had to tow and did all I could to make the bike better for it and with quite a lot of work and money, it did get much better. On the other hand, towing with a bone stock 90 Voyager12 was LOADS better than with the modified VR.

The engines are good on both bikes, but the Voyager12 again wins on ease of service across the board, as well as over all maintenance (how much and how often things need attention).

The Venture12 again wins on the luggage. The VRs luggage works. The Voyager12's luggage works VERY well.

My biggest gripes with the VR were:
  1. Several minor electrical issues that could nearly all have been solved at the factory by better protecting the wiring and using heavier gauge wire in several places.

The fairing plainly sucked from my vantage.

Passing power was lacking in some cases, and required a little forethought.

Center stand isn't "all" that difficult, but little of anything could compare with the Voyager's.

The forward ramp of the seat could be quite uncomfortable on long rides. (a custom made seat helped greatly, but the Voyager12's was still better.)

Brakes can fade in a hurry in situations where you need to dig in on them.

Hard to explain, but you almost feel as if you're riding behind the bike on the VR, rather than it ever becoming a part of you.

All of that said, I AM biased. First off, I am a Kawasaki man.
Second, I've wanted a voyager12 since the late 80s, from riding those of others and even borrowing one twice for 2500+ mile, one way trips. I actually wanted a Voyager12 when I bought the VR, but it was available and CHEAP as it's owner had been leaving the country.

I owned that VR from 1996 to 2009 and it was a nice bike, just nowhere near as nice as the Voyager12, and not nearly as highway capable.

My only experience with the Voyager12s is from wrenching on them, test rides and a few loaner rides, so I do have many more miles in the VR seat than the Voyager12, but it's pretty well set in stone for me.

I've owned my Voyager XII for a grand total of 3.5 days and as of yet haven't even ridden it. lol

Take all that for what it is, my own point of view from my own experience and nothing more.
I'm sure others have experience with both bikes, so wade through all the first hand info you can and in the end, decide on what you want, by what you want from it and how you want it to do it.

Take care,
Frank
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce in OK »

I tried to buy a Venture prior to finding my VXII. The owner felt it was worth more than I thought it was, so I walked away. I have a friend that owned a VR. He loved it. However, he pulled a trailer with it and the bike's frame couldn't handle the extra stress. The frame cracked open on him in two different places. It scared him away from finding another. He ended up on an Ultra-Classic.

That probably doesn't help much, but it's the only experience I have had with them.
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

I test road two Venture Royale's an one Voyager. I thought the balance on the Voyager was much better than the Royale. The power was lacking and the transmission was very sloppy/jerky on both. I know of two of them that 2nd gear is out of and the repair is not worth it for either of the owners, so they scrapped them.

That is just my little experience.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

Great job on the comparrision Freaky_1!

Another thing to consider is that the Voyager XII was in production from 1986-03 so at the moment there are more parts available than for the older style Venture.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Thanks for the insight, Frank! A couple of questions -
Freaky_1 wrote:Power is "adequate" and that's about it. There's enough spare to pass and to climb, but the whole "grip and rip" idea is alien to the bike. The Voyager12 is a genuine touring bike, but still has a little thrill hiding under that top cover.

Riding wise, the VR is easy in the straights and nice on the back roads and twisties, but doesn't hold a candle to the Voyager12. The feel of the two in the twisties is like comparing a manual steering car to one with power steering.
I take it "Power is "adequate" and that's about it" is referring to the Venture as is the "grip and rip" idea being alien to the bike? Interesting because most of what I've read is just the opposite, including a couple motorcycle magazine reviews from 1986 comparing the Venture, Voyager, a BMW, and a Harley. They said the Venture ran away from all of the others and was the only bike that could keep up with the BMW in the twisties. They are both rated at 97HP and are similar weights so I would think straight on power would be similar, though the V-4 would have more torque at lower speeds/rpm's. But your experience indicates the Voyager is much better in the twisties?

Freaky_1 wrote: Hard to explain, but you almost feel as if you're riding behind the bike on the VR, rather than it ever becoming a part of you.
One person described it as he felt like he was sitting IN the Venture while he sat ON other bikes.

Freaky_1 wrote: I've owned my Voyager XII for a grand total of 3.5 days and as of yet haven't even ridden it. lol
Get out and ride!

Thanks again!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

flip18436572 wrote:I test road two Venture Royale's an one Voyager...The power was lacking and the transmission was very sloppy/jerky on both. I know of two of them that 2nd gear is out...
Flip - Thanks for your input!

"The power was lacking and the transmission was very sloppy/jerky on both" refers to the two Ventures, correct? You thought the power was greater and the transmissions smoother on the Voyager?

I know the Venture Mark I's, 1200cc, made from 83-86 had problems with 2nd gear but that was fixed in the Mark II's, 1300cc, made from 86-93. I haven't heard of any Mark II's with a 2nd gear problem.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

I can't tell you what years the two bikes were with bad 2nd gears. I just know they scrapped them because the repair costs were not worth it to them.

The power was lacking on them also, compared to the XII in my opinion. I thought the shifting was because of bad gear setup within the transmission.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Ohio Mike
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Ohio Mike »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they detuned the current generation of Venture even more in order to get more of the Harley 'essence' (to go with 'the look').

I had a first gen during my first attempt to get back into riding and never got used to the extreme top heaviness at slow speeds -at least that's how it felt to vertically challenged me. Was always in fear of falling over at every stop. Sold it after 3 years of which it spent most of that time in the garage. At times I wish I had tried a little harder to get used to it because it sure was loaded with extra chrome. But then I would have never discovered the wonderful world of the Voyager!

Ohio Mike
Mike in Celina
03 Goldwing GL1800 / 2018 CSC Trike Kit
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

I should have clarified a touch.

The VR does have great power............. in it's power curve. If you're willing to work with it's band of power (which you will learn to do, trust me), then it's fine. The Voyager12 has the flattest torque curve of any touring bike I've ever ridden.

Sadly, I've not ridden every bike out there :D

I grew up in a Harley shop that was, at one time, rather famous and you'd think I'd go for the Harley every time, but the Voyager's just a much nicer bike.

For me, the power of the bikes isn't the point that would have driven me to have sold my VR for a Voyager12. What did it for me, was the wrench-or-ride factor, the over-all feel, the difference in power when loaded, the over-all ride comfort (seat, fairing, riding position, and a passenger not completely changing the characteristics of the bike) plus the fact that I do tow trailers and the VR really isn't built for it.

I'm not dunning the VR, it's a nice bike. I owned mine for many years. I just like the dependability of the Voyager12, the comfort and every once in a while, proving to myself that the engine really is closely related to it's cousins, while remaining fiercely reliable.

I put a touch over 180k on the VR, and it was NOT sub par, just that for me, the Voyager12 is largely off the scale. In that 180k, I've done the top end 3 times, the trans once (it's new owner needed to do it again when he bought it), and one complete bottom end (same time as trans). The bike was cared for the whole time, never got neglected and was tuned at least 3 times per year (as I drove it in all weather conditions and seasons, I prefer to keep them tuned to current situations), got stripped down to being completely naked and got cleaned from there up every 3 months or sooner, and lastly, put it on the "frame rack" at least once a year........................ here's another sore point with me. It needed minor tweaking each time.

I've had to weld the frame 4 times (gusseted at swing-arm mount and saved some trouble there) and the other 3 times were related to towing, but finally just built a one-off subframe and corrected that.

Again, let me make this clear. This is from MY riding habits and experiences. If like myself, you'll be putting 2500+ miles on a one way trip, please find a way to ride them both in situ (loaded and such) and see what you think for yourself.

I've had VR guys laugh at me saying that the Kaw was a POS........... 6 of them to be specific. Not one of the 6 had ever ridden one. Since then, one did ride a buddy of mine's bike and he's trying to buy MY Voyager12 (he aint getting it! lol)............

On the other hand, I heard Kaw guys dunning the VR as a "wannabe" bike. It's certainly more than a wannabe!

It's a nice bike, just that for me, the Voyager is nicer, has more power across the needle, is hugely more reliable, is more comfortable, and can actually carry in it's factory luggage, what I need to carry on such journeys.

Once again, this is nothing more than my own opinion from my own experiences and my own point of view. I strongly recommend that you ride both bikes in situ if at all possible.

Best of luck either way you go, two nice bikes to choose from!
Frank
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Forgot to add, where I really found the power lacking was in trying to pass through the buffeting of a tractor - trailer.
Bob in Tucson
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Voyager XII

Post by Bob in Tucson »

My son has a Venture Royale, '87 I think. The main issue he has is the old plastic is brittle and tends to crack. He is forever repairing pieces here and there. We live in the Az desert, and I'm not sure how the bike was cared for most of its life. Could be that it was left out in the sun day after day and became brittle from that. Other than that, the bike is very reliable and seems to have plenty of power.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”