So you think you trust a performance shop?

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

So you think you trust a performance shop?

Post by ekap1200 »

Imagine this. you got a vintage GL1000 goldwing. You think its time for a set of float valves and you take the bike in. WRONG MOVE, Bike shop gets hold of me and says there is something wrong could you take a look at these carbs. Sure I say, the bike was running right , oh yea. So I pull it apart and WOW. I call the shop owner and tell him he better check the fuel tank, seems to be loaded with water. Oh no he says WE FLOW TESTED IT WITH WATER !. .. .. After we put them on the intake filled up with gas, so we took them off and put water to them to see where the fuel was coming from. Well seems like they didn't replace the fuel manifold molded sealing ring, or forgot to put the old one back on, but thats as far as I would go without some cash up front. The only new parts I seen were needle and seat and new bowl gaskets. Well I feel bad about how stupid that is and give him a low price of 400.00 to repair what they screwed up...What can I say, I really felt sorry for the poor guy that owns such a nice vintage bike and I had some spare time. Shop owner says no way and I explain to him what has to be done to these poor carbs and it would take at least a day and 133.90 in parts. Still he says no way. Well I didn't feel that sorry for this guy that owns it, so back to the shop these pups go. So I guess the moral to this story is beware of where you take your bike to be worked on. Just cause they are in business don't mean they know what they are doing.

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: So you think you trust a performance shop?

Post by biggersm »

I went through a similiar situation recently which is documented in the General XII forum. I'm smart enough to know what I should do on my own versus what I should let someone else do. Having said that, shouldn't the only liquid that ever comes in contact with a carb be gasoline (or maybe some other solvent)? :hmm:

My sympathy to the former owner of the Goldwing. Does the Vintage Wing World have a parts guy like Carl Leo? Of course you seem pretty confident with repairs and were trying to find someone down here like you too.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Shopping for a mechanic you can trust, is a scary prospect. I've been through this with my cars, as well as my bikes. Reader's Digest did a story on the quality of auto mechanic shops, across the country, around 15+ years ago. They bought a used car, took it to a dealership, and asked the dealer's mechanics to go through the car, and make it like new: engine, transmission, suspension, exhaust, etc.

Once the car was gone through, and certified to be running like new, they went across country, stopping to pull off a spark plug wire, then limping the car into a shop for diagnostics, and repairs. They knew what was wrong, but they wanted to see how honest the mechanics would be. They took names, and they published them. It was very informative, to say the least! The most common dishonest tactic was for the mechanics to find the pulled off wire, tear the head off of the wire, and then tell them they needed new wires! Other shenanigans went on, as well, but that was the most common tactic employed by the dishonest shops. They paid the shops to conduct the "repairs needed", then they moved onto the next town, and the next shop.

You really need to know some basic mechanics, these days: shop rates are typically $90-$100+ per hour, in my locale. If you have an honest mechanic, hang on to them! If in doubt, check them out... I've found several decent mechanics to employ on my cars, and a few who were blatantly dishonest.

For my bikes, I have found some great mechanics. I work with them, and I work on developing my rapport with them. I let them know I appreciate their work, their honesty, and their opinions. I also recommend them whenever I can, to fellow motorcyclists. They are not perfect, but they try their best, and they try to be as decent as they can, when something goes awry. When you find a good one, do all that you can to help them stay in business -- your bike's, your's, and your pillion's safety depend on it! Cheers!
:thmup:
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
jcsshane
Current bike(s): 2003 VoyagerXII
2001 H-D FXSTS

Post by jcsshane »

Hoping this reply will prompt a few suggestions altho this thread is a couple of years old! NW Suburbs of Chicago ~ As a "Back" to a Voyager rider now, I am finding it hard to find a good Kawasaki mechanic in my area. Any suggestions from the gang here in the Chicagoland area?

Much appreciated

jc
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

In Phoenix, I have been to two shops: North Valley Honda (and Kawasaki); and Steve's Cycle.

North Valley is less then ten minutes away, and Steve's Cycle is over 30. North Valley ripped the bottom out of my right saddlebag on my V-XII and then denied they had anything to do with it (or any knowledge that there was a problem), yet were very willing to sell me a replacement for over $800 (check out my threads for the whole story). :tho:

I took my wife's 97 Vulcan VN800A into Steve's (rode in 42F weather about 40min each way then waited for it) Cycle on Main in Mesa, AZ. I checked ahead of time and they let me sit in a chair and watch what the mechanic was doing. They found other things wrong with it, but that was why I took it in. They didn't show me anything that I didn't suspect there was already a problem with (tire, pads, and front end) and their prices were mostly expected and were reasonable (I thought). The front end wasn't the forks head like I suspected, but was the bearings (now I know how to check that). I had thought about doing the forks myself, but since I had never done it before, or even seen it done, I decided to take it in. Glad I did. The only thing left is changing out the back brake shoes before the summer, but plenty of life left in them till this spring. I will probably order the National Cycle Plexistar 2 today for it.

Just my opinion and thoughts,
ken
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

One of the greatest things about owning a bike these days is Youtube. You can find a video on there for almost any type of repair or rebuild. There is no reason to be intimidated about doing simple mechanical work, it mostly takes patience and time. Besides, if you don't at least try it you will never really understand your bike.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
jcsshane
2001 H-D FXSTS

Post by jcsshane »

LOL - I agree, and at 60 years old and 45 years of riding, done most of it myself. But just never got the knack of cleaning ~ rebuilding and sync'n 4 carbs. And add to the mix that most shops in the midwest will store the bike for the next 3 months......I like that deal.

So, it appears there are no suggestions for Chicagoland mechanics......

jc
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

We had a guy show up on our mean streak forum who admitted he was a mechanic getting paid to work on a guys bike and he was coming to us enthusiasts for advice on repairing the bike because he admittedly had no clue about the bike. That is crazy! If I couldn't maintain my own bikes I would only own one and trade it in when it was about to need a major service done.
2010 Voyager 1700
jcsshane
2001 H-D FXSTS

Post by jcsshane »

Thanks. It appears I am the only one needing to bring my bike to a mechanic. No wonder I can't fine one!

jc
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce in OK »

jcsshane wrote:Thanks. It appears I am the only one needing to bring my bike to a mechanic. No wonder I can't fine one!

jc
What are you needing worked on? There are some guys around here that might look at your bike for you. Kevin Braddy (Kevin B in Illinois) might be a contact person to steer you in the right direction. He is in the Salem area, but is hooked in pretty strongly with the IPV. You may try their website's message board and make the same querry.

http://ipvmc.net/forum/
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
jcsshane
2001 H-D FXSTS

Post by jcsshane »

Thanks - That's a great idea!

I think they even have a gathering coming up my way soon

jc

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”