One Wheel or Two?

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

One Wheel or Two?

Post by debron »

I saw the N-Line one-wheeled trailers at Sturgis this year (though I've seen a few one-wheel trailers before) and the idea is intriguing. http://www.n-line.com/

I like the idea of the trailer following the bike in exactly the same manner and attitude as the bike itself, i.e., leaning into turns.

My concern is the twisting torque and stress the trailer would exert on the bike's hitch and frame. The way the trailers are attached to the bike, the trailer is free to turn left and right on the vertical axis at the hitch, but the horizontal axis is rigid so that the bike, when it leans, twists (and holds) the trailer into a lean so that the trailer follows neatly behind the bike. Further, it would be impossible to pack the load so that it is perfectly balanced over the center line, adding more twisting torque (to one side or the other) even when riding straight. Add to that that the load WILL shift as the trailer leans, you go over bumps, etc., increasing the twisting stress.

These are small, light trailers, 85 lbs empty with a 100 lb payload capacity, so maybe that's light enough so that the twisting torque is not an issue. I'm not planning to buy one of these trailers as they are expensive, almost as much as I plan to pay for a Voyager XII but it looks like it would not be difficult to build one.

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with one-wheeled trailers?

:hmm: Maybe I should go with a two-wheeled trailer?

Thanks!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Re: One Wheel or Two?

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

No experience pulling a single wheel trailer, but you are correct that the smaller trailer and load even out the playing field regarding the twisting forces applied to the hitch and frame. If a single wheel is the direction you are wanting to go, then I'd say do it, and not give it a second thought. :thmup:
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Been liked: 0

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

The only negatives I have ever heard about the 1 wheel trailers is that they are cumbersome when unhitched from the bike if you don't unload them first.

I put the Marvella's hitch on my Voyager and with the hitch grate I can carry a another piece of luggage which should get me by if I am hotel travelling.
2010 Voyager 1700
Danh
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1700voyager

Post by Danh »

Hello, I have pulled a uni-go one wheel trailer about 6500 miles and you don,t know the trailer is there, except for starting, stopping and if you lean when standing still. The uni has a universal in the tongue to allow the trailer up, down and left, right movement.
Dan
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

The one-wheel trailers I was considering allowed only left-right movement at the tongue. This forces the trailer to lean with the bike, supposedly allowing the trailer to follow exactly the motorcycle (or so the manufacturer claims!) Sounds good!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

The few one wheel trailers I have seen tend to be smaller.
If all you plan to take is the wifes makeup and a clean pair of jeans it will probably be OK.
If like most of us you want to carry the kitchen sink and a few other trinkets ,I think you'll find the two wheels more stable.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Me Again wrote:The few one wheel trailers I have seen tend to be smaller.
This is true and why they appeal to me. I don't want to haul around 400-600 lbs. The PO towed a Kwik Kamp that he said weighed in at about 650 lbs when loaded. I don't need (or want) three rooms and a bath. I would be interested in a small, lightweight (<200lbs) camp trailer that slept two.

When I travel by motorcycle I want to be free and unencumbered and a trailer of any size adds complexity. I'm trying to find the right balance between unencumbered and comfort. I would like to take a cooler, stove, and cooking utensils so I didn't have to eat at restaurants every meal. And a comfortable sleeping pad or mattress would keep me out of motels more often.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

debron wrote:
Me Again wrote:The few one wheel trailers I have seen tend to be smaller.
This is true and why they appeal to me. I don't want to haul around 400-600 lbs. The PO towed a Kwik Kamp that he said weighed in at about 650 lbs when loaded. I don't need (or want) three rooms and a bath. I would be interested in a small, lightweight (<200lbs) camp trailer that slept two.

When I travel by motorcycle I want to be free and unencumbered and a trailer of any size adds complexity. I'm trying to find the right balance between unencumbered and comfort. I would like to take a cooler, stove, and cooking utensils so I didn't have to eat at restaurants every meal. And a comfortable sleeping pad or mattress would keep me out of motels more often.
If you look at how much a trailer (other than harbor freight) cost, you could invest in super lightweight compact backpacking gear to camp with. A hitch rack could carry a decent size cooler. Just a thought.
2010 Voyager 1700
StarShipVoyager
Current bike(s): 1984 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by StarShipVoyager »

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread ... el+trailer This thread is of a person making there own single wheel trailer.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Thanks for posting Star Ship. Had to register for yet another forum just so I could see the photos, but interesting!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

The Uni-Go trailers' U-joints force them to lean with the bike, as well. Just wanted to clarify that point. Take a look at their web site for videos of them being pulled. They are basically the Cadillac of uni-wheel trailers.

The advantage of a uni-wheel trailer, is that it tracks the same as the bike. If the bike hits a pothole, so will the trailer. If the bike swerves to miss a pothole, so will the trailer.

With a two-wheel trailer, you have three tire tracks to manage... It is very difficult to miss anything in the roadway, with three wheel tracks. Obviously, this is not a deal-breaker, as many, many folks pull two-wheel trailers behind their bikes. It is just something to consider.

I looked into trailers, last year, but my wife and I decided that if we needed to pull a trailer (we hotel it on tours), then we should probably be driving our car, not our bike. YMMV, but that is what we came up with.

There are ways to lighten your load. Buy UnderArmor type shirts, and underwear, which will wick away perspiration, keeping you comfortable in all weather. They can be washed each night, in the sink with hand soap, hang dried overnight, so you only need two pairs. I picked up some shirts, both short-, and long-sleeved, made of similar materials. Wore them in sweltering heat, and they wicked the moisture away from me, making me more comfortable than I would have been in any other type of shirt. The underwear work the same way. Outer clothing can be worn for a few days, before laundering in a motel's machines, or a laundromat, if necessary. Only take exactly what you will need, no 'extra' items -- just what you have to have. We go over our packing before every trip, asking ourselves if we really need it, or can we get by without it? You have to be honest with yourself. A lot of cosmetics are ridiculous to carry along -- helmet head, remember? You won't need that hair gel/spray. Do you really need perfume/cologne? With all of that air flow while riding, will the scent still be there at the end of the day, when you are sitting in your motel room, relaxing, by yourselves? Do you really need that hair dryer (helmet head...)?
:hmm:

With regards to buying keepsakes, on the road, there is always the option of shipping them to your home address, so you won't have to carry them the rest of your trip. We did that last year. Paid extra in shipping, but it was worthwhile not to have to try to fit them on the bike! YMMV. Cheers!
:wnk2:
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”