I traveled 1629 miles on a weekend and still not qualify PT1

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

NavMode
Current bike(s): 1986 Voyager Xll
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I traveled 1629 miles on a weekend and still not qualify PT1

Post by NavMode »

The Iron Butt 1000 (Saddle Sore) and 1500 (Bun Burner) are two Distance/Time category awards that can be earned from the Iron Butt Association. On their website they have a list of 25 very helpful tips in the Archive of Wisdom. If you plan to attempt any of the Iron Butt read and heed their advice.

Unfortunately common sense items such as get a good night’s sleep and plan your route with a backup contingency weren’t mentioned. For folks like me and I sure hope there are others, as I would hate to be the only one that “Flies by the Seat of My Pants,” these simple things are usually overlooked.

Such is the case for my first attempt at qualifying for both above awards over the Labor Day weekend.
I am sure that the IBA would probably want careful forethought and planning put into such an adventurous endeavor. With a total of 18 or more pages to print about different aspects of the trip they do seem to want you prepared. No such luck with me. On Wed, Sep, 1st my wife Donna reminded me that she would be in St Joseph, MO all weekend for a wedding. As I was not going, she asked me if I had any plans. Quickly, but without much planning, I blurted out I was going to attempt the Iron Butt Associations 1500 mi 36 hr ride. Donna my bride of 33 yrs looked at me with those big brown eyes and gave me her “That’s nice and you be sure to have fun” look. The look she gives best when she knows I’m telling a whopper.

I turned and headed to my office to look up what I had just told her I was going to attempt. 15mins. later I had read enough and printed all the pages I thought I’d need. With pages in hand and the spirit of an 18 yr old stuck in the body of a 53 yr old novice rider (1st season less than 3,000 under my belt), I tracked her down and showed her the particulars. “What is your route and contingencies going to be?” she asked. As always, when pinned for an answer “I’m working on it” slipped from my lips automatically. Back to the office and using MapQuest, the route began to form. Let see start at Cedar Rapids, IA and head east. IL, WI, MI, OH, IN. Three of the five I haven’t been on the bike. We have a son in Kettering, OH a suburb of Dayton. I’ll use him as a stopping point for 40 winks.

I had never been to the U.P. of Michigan, sounded good. Total trip 1629 mi., with a good combination of 2 lane and super slab. Verify 1000 mi < 24hr and 1500 mi <36hr for the awards. Piece of cake. See route http://www.mapquest.com/my/private/1662 Sight’s to see along the way. Oshkosh by gosh WI, Canada at the border of Upper Peninsula, all four Great Lakes, Indy 500, Colts field, Kankakee IL (I’d sit and listen to Arlo Guthrie sing City of New Orleans and maybe the Mortorsycle Song ,” I don’t want a pickle……”

1629 mi, 1500 of which has to be completed < 36hrs, and play tourist. H’mm something sounds funny. My 18 yr old spirit slapped my 53 yr head and said “What you talkin about Willis?” Just cause you’re in bed by 9:30 every night doesn’t mean that party animal you used to be isn’t waiting to get out.

Thurs was used to finish the route, pack and buy supplies, have the bike serviced and oh yeah do the 28 things on my To-Do List for the job. Only 17 completed, oh well job security. I planned to leave by 6 am but over slept. Had to complete 2 reports on the list as my boss called and requested early. Strange how I over slept and the boss called needing reports early. God really does watch out for children and fools.
The bright side, only 15 to do when I get back.

A quick check of the weather channel and out the door. Bike packed in less than 5 min and last air valve check and warm up and out the parking lot

Finally at 9: 30 am, Friday morn, Sep 3rd I pulled into my local Road Runner station filled up and washed down, got a thermos of coffee, and had the attendant sign my start verification for my 10:00 am start.

I was going to head North, but the late start forced the first leg to be the southern route.
Now I’m sure that most people would probably check the U.S. Road Construction site on the Internet and would have a contingency plan. “We don’t need no stinkin contingency senor'.”

1hr 15 min later at the Jct. of Hwy 30 & 88 outside of Clinton IA on IL side I hit my first construction. The line looked at least 1 mi long. I turned down a paved side road, stopped at a John Deere dealer and asked for help. They gave me great directions which even had a couple of almost twisties. Got back on Hwy 30 and let her rip to 62 mph. 15 min later as I was going through a town I noticed some riders at a gas station. I pulled in and found they were headed west so I turned a favor and told them a about the detour. They said one up 20 mi their way but didn’t have a detour, so we headed off in different directions. At the next construction I turned up toward Rockfalls, IL and stopped at the Harley dealer for directions. Jane was very helpful and gave me a work around. I had her sign as an official stop and was “Back on the Road Again.”

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=wYO ... O0ug%3D%3D
http://www.world66.com/community/mymaps/visitedStates
Lowell & Donna
1986 Kawasaki Voyager

Old boys have their playthings as well as young ones; the difference is only in the price.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”