Cooler Rack on Hitch Question

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Cooler Rack on Hitch Question

Post by debron »

I'm planning to get one of these:

Possibly a used one from an AVA member. They measure 10" X 14". I have a very small cooler but it still measures 10" X 18" at the base. Just wondering if anyone has used a cooler larger than 14" on such a rack, and how did it work out?
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Re: Cooler Rack on Hitch Question

Post by doug of so fla »

You should be alright because 18" is about as wide as you want to go so you do not block your turnsignals. You could fasten a extended base to the rack if you see that you need to. You can go as high as the bottom of the tour pack and just take a photo of your license plate and attach it to the cooler. & of course watch the weight, If you look thru your windshield & see sky!! you may have to remove at least a 6 pack.. :gmad:
doug of no fla
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Been liked: 0

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

doug of so fla wrote: & of course watch the weight, If you look thru your windshield & see sky!! you may have to remove at least a 6 pack.. :gmad:
either lose the 6 pack or add some air to the rear shocks. :lol:

Looking at where the holes for the bungees are located I think a 18 inch cooler would slide to the side. Give it a try and see what happens. The money you saved buying pre-owned could go towards a cooler that fits.
2010 Voyager 1700
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by debron »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
doug of so fla wrote: & of course watch the weight, If you look thru your windshield & see sky!! you may have to remove at least a 6 pack.. :gmad:

Looking at where the holes for the bungees are located I think a 18 inch cooler would slide to the side. Give it a try and see what happens. The money you saved buying pre-owned could go towards a cooler that fits.
The six-pack stays so I would have to crank down on the progressives!

The cooler I have is really pretty small and I would hate to go smaller but I guess I could. I've already designed a retaining device in my head that would be easy to build.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials
Been liked: 0

Post by Pure Pork »

debron wrote:
David (N. Alabama) wrote:

The six-pack stays so I would have to crank down on the progressives!

The cooler I have is really pretty small and I would hate to go smaller but I guess I could. I've already designed a retaining device in my head that would be easy to build.

I bought 2 of this style rack for my friend and I from a store on ebay. He bought a low profile cooler for his so it doesn't block his license plate on his HD Roadglide. My Vulcan Classic is about the same in design. I plan on adding some attachment holes and using a cargo net made for bikes. My real intention was to use the rack to haul chairs on day trips.
1985 Beast

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”