Harbor Freight's Tag-Along

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jaster
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Harbor Freight's Tag-Along

Post by jaster »

I've talked with Carl about the bike's ability to tow a trailer on a daily basis and I'm satisfied I'm not going to damage my bike. Here's the trailer I'm looking at:
http://tinyurl.com/26he9fv

My first question is they specify "55-MPH maximum towing speed". I assume that's due to the tires? Any need to upgrade to larger tires with a higher speed rating?

I'm not sold on the swivel hitch idea so I'll go without first and see how it goes. I've seen the McHitch mentioned in another post but it adds 6.5" to the trailer's tongue length. I know it's not much but wouldn't it be better to leave the trailer stock and use something like this:
http://www.meadows-ent.com/

My last question is fairly basic. I've towed trailers with trucks but never with a bike. The trailer is wider so I have to watch corners & curbs. Stopping distance is increased. Tires will wear a little faster. What bike specific stuff should I be aware of going into this?
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Harbor Freight's Tag-Along

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

You never want to brake while in a turn. The trailer can push the rear of the bike. You want to develop the habit of slowing down before the curves and accelerating out of them.

I'm not saying you need a swivel hitch, but extra tongue length on the trailer is a good thing for stability going down the road. Extra length on the bike side would not be good due to lever action of the tongue weight on the rear axle.

Since my wife has decided that if I take a long ride she will either fly in or drive the car I find myself not in need of a trailer. I do like the little hitch rack for carrying a cooler though.
2010 Voyager 1700
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

Since my wife has decided that if I take a long ride she will either fly in or drive the car I find myself not in need of a trailer. I do like the little hitch rack for carrying a cooler though.
With the cost of flying now adays I would think you would carry all your wifes "goodys" so she is not paying for extra luggage.
:hmm: :gig:
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Me Again wrote:
With the cost of flying now adays I would think you would carry all your wifes "goodys" so she is not paying for extra luggage.
:hmm: :gig:
What it really means is that she will probably not attend any rallies with me this year. :-(
2010 Voyager 1700
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

jaster wrote:My first question is they specify "55-MPH maximum towing speed". I assume that's due to the tires? Any need to upgrade to larger tires with a higher speed rating?
Jaster - I believe the speed limitation is due to the wheel bearings, not the tires. Seems to me I read on this forum that all you need to do is repack the wheel bearings with a good quality wheel bearing grease and you're good to go. Read through/search the threads in this topic (Trailers/Trailer Tech) and you should find some good info.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

debron wrote:
jaster wrote:My first question is they specify "55-MPH maximum towing speed". I assume that's due to the tires? Any need to upgrade to larger tires with a higher speed rating?
Jaster - I believe the speed limitation is due to the wheel bearings, not the tires. Seems to me I read on this forum that all you need to do is repack the wheel bearings with a good quality wheel bearing grease and you're good to go. Read through/search the threads in this topic (Trailers/Trailer Tech) and you should find some good info.
Or it could just be lawyer speak like Uhaul trailers can't be towed faster than 45 mph.
2010 Voyager 1700
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

Post by Dion »

I have never had a swivel hitch on any of my trailers and never had a problem. And when I had my 87 Voyager pulled alot bigger trailer than the one you showed. You will have to whatch your turns and stopping when roads are wet will take more distance other than that you will enjoy having the hauling space.
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Like everyone else, The biggest issue you will find is the increased stopping distance. Generally cornering isn't to much of an issue as long as the trailer tracks true.

Adding to the tongue length generally helps the "wiggle" or "sway" factor. A shorter tongue will tend to sway more while being towed. The longer tongue helps reduce this. It will also change the center of gravity.

I tow an Aspen Sentry Camper with about 2 feet added to the tongue. It DOES have electric brakes, but I haven't used them. I towed this a couple of hundred miles through the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas last year without issue. Just remember that you have to anticipate things and don't think it's a sport bike. You'll do fine.

-- JD
jaster
Streetster
Streetster

Post by jaster »

Thanks for the replies. The swivel receiver hitch doesn't look like it adds any to the length of the bike. But if increasing the tongue length is a good thing, then that sounds like the best way to go regardless.

Yes, braking in corners would be a real bad thing. I hadn't thought of that so I'm glad it was mentioned. I have a real bad habit of not braking enough before corners.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Not braking enough for corners when pulling a trailer will bite you like it did us in '08. Trust me on this one.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Post by Pure Pork »

You also have to be careful starting out if you are on uneven ground such as a campground, cause if you aren't basically straight, the trailer can pull you over when you let the clutch out. Happened to me in a campground in Missouri when I tried to turn around, when the beast decides to lay down, it gets its way.
1985 Beast
jaster
Streetster
Streetster

Post by jaster »

I called the local store tonight to see if they could order me one and bypass the $90 freight charge. To my surprise, they have two in stock in the back but she wasn't aware of ever selling one. Since these seem to be popular on motorcycle boards, I was also surprised when she said they were being discontinued and they would not get anymore in. Since they haven't sold any, I'm not going to run out and get one tomorrow but I do get paid Tuesday. :-D I just hope they don't go on clearance two weeks after I buy...
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

check magazines, there are lots of locations where you can find a 20% off coupon for H/F that is good on anything you buy EVEN SALE items!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

If they're being discontinued, I'm betting your local Harbor Freight manager has a great deal of latitude on the pricing of this trailer. Ask, and the worst that can happen is they say no. Regarding the swivel hitch, you don't actually need one, but having the extra tongue length really helps. All we can offer is our own over-the-road experiences. The choice is ultimately yours. By the way, with a 20% off coupon, you can get the trailer for $240 any day of the week. I'd offer the Mgr. $190 and see what happens. +Good+luck.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
debron wrote:
Or it could just be lawyer speak like Uhaul trailers can't be towed faster than 45 mph.
New to posting, so bear with please.
I have a homebuilt (by a machinest father-in-law) utility trailer that uses 4x80 trailer tires. They are 55mph tires, but of course, on long trips i traveled at 75mph. Doing this I had 3 blow-outs over just a couple of years. I remembered back to when i had put on this same trailer, car tires that fit (12"). They are rated much higher on speed and the weight allowance isn't that much less (shouldn't be a problem for a motorcycle trailer anyway). I have used these now for a couple of years (the last set lasted 15 before i changed them out due to aging) with lots of >70mph travel and no problems. I talked to the tire guys when I had the blowouts and they said that centrifugal force tears the tires apart because they are strengthened against it for higher than 55mph speeds. Just saying that was my experience and i won't use the (cheap) trailer tires again if i expect to exceed 55mph ever (also radial pull easier). :windy:
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
rubberhead
Current bike(s): Voyager 1200
1958 sears moped

Post by rubberhead »

I just called my local Habor Freight store and they had one so I bought it. They also said they were not discontinuing them. The one I got was on sale for $399.99 Thanks for the link. :thmup:
Rod from Eastern S.D.
Air Force
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager xii
2000 Voyager xii
2000 Voyager xii
1988 Voyager xii
1977 Suzuki GT500B
2000 Escapade Cargo Trailer
2001 Escapade Cargo Trailer
2009 Kompact Kamp Cargo Trailer
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Air Force »

Hello everyone! I pulled my trailer without a swivel hitch when I first purchased it. For a $150-$180 advertised price I figured I could live without it. My suspension is progressive front and rear and I tend to be more aggressive in the turns. I noticed right away that I needed the swivel hitch. It works great and adds approx. 4-6 inches to the tongue. My 2 cents. Cheers and ride safe!

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”