Heat Problem

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Killroid
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Voyager 1700
Candy Plasma Blue / Metallic Diablo Black
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Heat Problem

Post by Killroid »

Well sometime during my 25 mile ride yesterday, I noticed that I was burning up from the heat coming out on both sides. I noticed the temp gauge was hotter than normal, but not full peg, so i went home. the 1st thing I noticed was a whistling sound from under neath the gas tank, obviously the raditaor cap releasing pressure and the fan wasn't running.

Pulled the seat and checked the fuse, which was good. Also checked the water level in the reservoir which was between low and full.

Anybody experience a similar issue to this...it's got 4300 miles and it had it's first check up at 850 miles last June.
ASH

2009 Voyager 1700 - Candy Plasma Blue/Metallic Diablo Black
Named "Dori"
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Heat Problem

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Did you hear the fan come on at all? It should come on if the temp gauge gets past one o'clock. If it doesn't come on then you might want to bring it in. My fan never comes on while moving, but it sure comes on when I have to stop for any length of time. While riding in 85+ days my temp gauge usually is at twelve o'clock. Cooler days at eleven o'clock.
2010 Voyager 1700
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

Did you check the coolant level in the radiator? It could be low even with the the reservoir in the normal range.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Killroid
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Voyager 1700
Candy Plasma Blue / Metallic Diablo Black

Post by Killroid »

I checked the coolant and it's within the lines and no the fan does not kick in at all at 12 or 1 O'clock and beyond.

I went ahead and dropped it off at the dealer on Saturday to get it checked out, the mechanic thinks it's the heat sensor. I'm also getting engine ice, synthetic oil and the recalled ECU replaced while it's in the shop.

Will keep ya posted
ASH

2009 Voyager 1700 - Candy Plasma Blue/Metallic Diablo Black
Named "Dori"

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”