Ride to Ripley 2011

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Ride to Ripley 2011

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

The Ride to Ripley (or Cycle to Carl's :-D ) will take place October 7-9. Mostly Friday and Saturday, but come and go as you please. If you would like to have Carl work on your bike, please make arrangements with Carl to have him take care of that on any day EXCEPT Friday and Saturday. We would like to be able to just sit around and tell lies for those 2 days. Everybody is welcome, including the ladies. There is a nice Super 8 up the road. For those interested, I/we will most likely be leaving Kansas City on Thursday, and returning on Sunday. This is not a sanctioned event by any group or club, just fellow Voyager or motorcycle enthusiasts getting together at some dude's shop. Hope you all can make it!

Chris
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Been liked: 0

Re: Ride to Ripley 2011

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Marking my calendar. :thmup:
2010 Voyager 1700
jaynes
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1999 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jaynes »

I have made my reservation at the Super 8 down the road. I will be there on Thursday. Coming from North Carolina. Looking forward to it.

Jim
carl leo
Guru
Guru
Current bike(s): 96 voyager zg1200
76 kz900 LTD
60 NSU supermax

Post by carl leo »

the super 8 will discount the rooms for the ride to ripley, be sure to tell them this when you make your reservation.......carl
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Wow Carl, you really ARE a tourist attraction! Discount status at Super 8. whoa! :thmup: :gig:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

We are planing the trip to Ripley, Friday and Saturday we are staying in Ripley, Sunday we're going to Ozark Mountains for a week... we are driving (it's hard to put a 2 year old on the Voyager), if someone knows some places, parks worth visiting in Ozark's please fill free to share it's going to be are 1st time in the area...
Thanks...
Mike
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

metric wrote:We are planing the trip to Ripley, Friday and Saturday we are staying in Ripley, Sunday we're going to Ozark Mountains for a week... we are driving (it's hard to put a 2 year old on the Voyager), if someone knows some places, parks worth visiting in Ozark's please fill free to share it's going to be are 1st time in the area...
Thanks...
Mike
If you are like me, the entire time you are driving in the ozarks you are going to wish you were on the Voyager. Great motorcycle roads across most of AR.
Maybe you could ride and the family follow in the car, or trailer the bike out there and get in some rides. Bring along someone to watch the 2 year old so your wife can ride with you.

Start here. http://www.arkansas.com/
2010 Voyager 1700
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

Thanks David... it's a beautiful place to ride, we have to find a way to go without the baby... or ask uncle Carl to watch the baby for a week... :gig:
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
carl leo
Guru
Guru
Current bike(s): 96 voyager zg1200
76 kz900 LTD
60 NSU supermax

Post by carl leo »

who me??
:-O :-O :-O
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

...just joking Carl... just joking...:)
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

Chris... any plans for Friday?
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Only thing I have planned, is to ride down to Memphis for lunch at The BBQ Shop.

Chris
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

Great... I'm in, I'll ride there on Thursday morning solo wife and baby are not going... and nobody from this area is going there ( that I know) see you there...
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

We will be pulling in after working all day on Friday night at the Super 8, it will be good to see you again, Ride safe and we will see everyone definitely on Saturday at Carl's(I'm looking forward to a long awaited return to see how the place looks 13 years after my first and only visit to see Mr. Leo's magical world of motorcycles.). Safe riding !!!! Mike,,,, I think Kim K. from up in the area (another IPVMC member) is riding down to Ripley, you may want to PM him to see what his plans are.

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC
President
metric
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by metric »

Made it home at 2:30PM (8 hours ride)... 1st thanks to Carl and family for the great food and time we had there...was nice to see all of you and learn new things about the Voyager, I hope you all make it home safe...
Mike
02VoyagerXII AVA#5443
lilabner

Post by lilabner »

Pretty good time..took me 5hrs to get back to S.E.Tn and Rare Breed was getting ready to unfold her wings!! Still trying to find the worn spot in the saddle--been yrs since major road trips and riding...man I sure do love it!
it was nice meeting you and EVERYONE else!! Have`nt had that good a time in a decade or so. Thanks every one! especially to Carl and his family!!!!! For those who could`nt make it I feel forya...just awsome!!!!!!!!!
lilabner & Rare Breed.
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

GREAT TIME!!!! GREAT FOOD!!! GREAT PEOPLE!!!! and fun was had by all that attended. Thank you Mr. Leo for allowing me to help with the maintenance program on the Buell and W650. I sincerely appreciated the opportunity to help. I'm sure Chris also appreciated the opportunity. Perfect weather and the comradarie of the people involved is what being a motorcyclist is all about. I'm still thinking about the BBQ...WOW!!! is all I have to say. The secret of the Ride to Ripley may be creating traffic jams in the future...especially for the food.
Thank You,

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC
President ( and possibly being looked for in the state of Tennessee for uhmmmm .....I'll take the 5th)
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by suzib6sw »

What a Phenomenal week end! Took a shade under 10 hours to ride down on the 86 without 3rd gear. Spend some of Friday Evening modding one of Carl's Radios which he had swapped out before I arrived..
Chewed the cud with loads of people and compared notes, talked about Bling, CB antennas, Radio, CD, bluetooth etc..
Got back to the hotel and settled down for the night.. Up on Saturday Breakfast and 7 miles down the road to Carls on. Straight to work.. 9am.. Radio mods while Carl had the front end out of other bikes. FYI Tried to beat Carl's 16 mins from the get go to Radio out on the bench... Got close... 20 mins.. Amazing what you can do with the right tools and a little experience..
So.. 3 Modded radios , 2 with Blue LCDs later.. and I had somehow collected several hundred miles of Dirt on my hands and clothes and face.. not to mention evicted some unwelcome visitors (long dead) from under a fairing.. (Dirt Dauber wasps) who had decided to nest at some time. Man that stuff is like concrete. Lunch was just simply fantastic.. (Thanks James) and Desert too.. Took some Pecan pie and Cake back to the hotel, with a can of beer and soaked all the grime off..
Sunday.. my turn.. the other reason for my visit.. The 86 had no 3rd gear.. Kept jumping out.. Seems to be fairly common as Carl has another 86 with the same problem.. Plus mine has always been more work in the corners than my 94..
Got to Carls at 10.. Striped the plastics drained fluids and a tad over an hour later, the engine was out! To coin a brit phrase.. "Bloody h*ll!" ;-) That was the easy part. I had insisted that Carl put as much on to me as he could, and he did . Under the instructions from the Master, the I helped Carl shoehorn the replacement engine in and we broke for lunch..
After lunch, Carl fished out an 86's left bag from the barn and we cleaned it up.. My 86's Previous owner had been down the road after a Drunk Driver had knocked him off and when he rebuild it, he had picked up a 96's bag .. Actually didnt look too bad on the 86 with the 86's top but it wasnt quite right..
6 hours from starting, the engine was in and I had taken it up the road to check it out.. Yay.. 3rd gear and no leaks..That was exhilarating riding sans plastic..
The rest was just bolting other stuff back on.. Carl checked the steering head nut.. All ok there.. Then the front wheel came off.. Bearings were bad.. Forks came out.. Yup... weak springs and the place I took the left fork to to fix a seal leak didnt rebuild it correctly.. Carl rebuild both and fitted Progressive springs.. replaced the front wheel bearings while I refitted the plastics, swapped over locks etc.. Time to take her for her maiden voyage..
WOW.. A totally transformed bike.. Sure footed, no wobble, no dive.. smooth acceleration..
Rode back with a huge grin.. The 86 was back to as she should be plus improvements..
Carl, you truly are a Master craftsman.. Thank you Sir.!
Cheryl and James, you too are such perfect hosts.. Great hosts, great conversation and I was made to feel at home..

Plug Time.. Carl has a few bikes for sale too... A nice 88 included amongst them too at prices I seriously thought about then remembered, not enough garage space.... YET... ;-)

I did ask for some ideas on my Facebook page for the collective term of a group of Voyagers..
Answers included..
A journey of Voyagers..
A Flotilla of Voyagers.
A Gaggle, A murder, a flock but I think my Sister back in Good old Blighty got it right..

A Flight of Voyagers..
Thank you and and all, for what was one of the most enjoyable week ends in my life for at least the last year..
I start back tomorrow at 7am (CT) back to Virginia..
Cheers..
Pete..
I have pics.. will try and post in a bit..
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
jaynes
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1999 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jaynes »

What a weekend! I got home to Fayetteville, NC about 4:30 PM. I left at 5:00 AM. Many thanks to Carl and his wife for allowing us to visit and use him and his expertise. Carl, you are truly "one of a kind". It was so much fun to meet everyone and get to visit and swap lies. I am looking forward to next year already.

Jim
Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): None

Post by Jim Loiselle »

Here is second attempt at a picture show from the BBQ at Carl Leo's in Ripley, Tn. :-O
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/qz8Ws2dx

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”