Severe front wheel wobble

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Severe front wheel wobble

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Folks, I need some help. (previously posted this on the wrong thread)

I have developed a severe front end wobble (hands off the bars) starting at approx 40 MPH and lasting up to 70 MPH. I am running a new Dunlop E3, which replaced the stock Stone. I have tried every tire pressure between 25 PSI and 40 PSI, in 2 PSI increments with no change. I have verified correct steering stem torque, mic'ed the rotors and rim, and all are perfect. I have perfect balance on the front tire, and have verified alignment of the front tire with the rear via a run across a rolled paper track on a paved driveway. I have verified that all fork mounting bolts are correctly torqued, the triple tree is tight, wheel bearings are good, and then I ran out of things to check. If anyone can think of anything else, PLEASE let me know. 2009 Kawasaki Voyager, non ABS.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Re: Severe front wheel wobble

Post by Voyager »

Turbo4x4 wrote:Folks, I need some help. (previously posted this on the wrong thread)

I have developed a severe front end wobble (hands off the bars) starting at approx 40 MPH and lasting up to 70 MPH. I am running a new Dunlop E3, which replaced the stock Stone. I have tried every tire pressure between 25 PSI and 40 PSI, in 2 PSI increments with no change. I have verified correct steering stem torque, mic'ed the rotors and rim, and all are perfect. I have perfect balance on the front tire, and have verified alignment of the front tire with the rear via a run across a rolled paper track on a paved driveway. I have verified that all fork mounting bolts are correctly torqued, the triple tree is tight, wheel bearings are good, and then I ran out of things to check. If anyone can think of anything else, PLEASE let me know. 2009 Kawasaki Voyager, non ABS.
How was the wheel/tire combination balanced? A lot of motorcycles will do this, especially when decelerating through the 30 to 50 MPG speed range, but it generally occurs once the tire is worn a little and develops some cupping.
2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Voyager wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote:Folks, I need some help. (previously posted this on the wrong thread)

How was the wheel/tire combination balanced? A lot of motorcycles will do this, especially when decelerating through the 30 to 50 MPG speed range, but it generally occurs once the tire is worn a little and develops some cupping.
Voyager,
Balancing was done by me using the gravity method, a level and parallel set of 3 foot knife edges and the stock axle. I even grind the weights when I start getting close so I can get it as precise as possible.
Turbo4x4
RodWestphal
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 209 VV1700
2008 Concours14

Post by RodWestphal »

So, did this start as soon as you put on the Elite? Or was it a while after? Could be a problem with the tire. Out of round, not seated evenly around the rim. Check for runout, a wobble of the tire on the rim. Raise the front wheel and check for mounting problems.
And of course, keep us posted.

RR
RR
Have Motorcycle Will Travel
2009 VV1700
2008 Concours14
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

RodWestphal wrote:So, did this start as soon as you put on the Elite? Or was it a while after? Could be a problem with the tire. Out of round, not seated evenly around the rim. Check for runout, a wobble of the tire on the rim. Raise the front wheel and check for mounting problems.

RR
Traveler,
Original factory Stone did not wobble at factory recommended pressure of 28 psi. We carry near maximum GVW when we travel 2 up, so increased front tire pressure to 32 psi. Wobble immediately followed. The E3 will wobble at all pressures. Tire has been checked for out of round, sidewall run out, tire seating, etc. All is as it should be. I'm stymied.
Turbo4x4
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I'm thinking that this could simply be a defective tire. Belt in the tire could have shifted. You might want to order up another tire before you get into anymore mechanicals. If it isn't the problem you can still use both tires.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Turbo4x4 wrote:
RodWestphal wrote:So, did this start as soon as you put on the Elite? Or was it a while after? Could be a problem with the tire. Out of round, not seated evenly around the rim. Check for runout, a wobble of the tire on the rim. Raise the front wheel and check for mounting problems.

RR
Traveler,
Original factory Stone did not wobble at factory recommended pressure of 28 psi. We carry near maximum GVW when we travel 2 up, so increased front tire pressure to 32 psi. Wobble immediately followed. The E3 will wobble at all pressures. Tire has been checked for out of round, sidewall run out, tire seating, etc. All is as it should be. I'm stymied.
If this was the Voyager XII I would say that you might need to check the steering stem for looseness in the steering head bearings. Almost make you wonder why Kawasaki recommended such a low front tire pressure on such a heavy bike. :hmm:

I think audidoc (Mike) had an issue with some front tires a while back.
2010 Voyager 1700
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

Turbo, Please refer to my previous post of( Dunlop E3's are not designed for the voyager) I am on my 3RD new E3 and they all do what you describe...viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4413&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4472&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Sorry to say but the E3 wobbles.....but does wear well.....
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

AudiDoc, et al.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Upon rereading several past posts on this same subject (thanks to the reminder from Mike) and the continuing problems being experienced by others using the E3 on the new Voyagers, I think I'm done looking for anything mechanical at this point. Out of necessity, I'll be keeping the current E3 until it wears out in 4 million miles and then switch to something the majority of you have found to offer near the mileage provided by the E3, but without the handling problem. Perhaps this might be a good subject for a forum category all its own, with ongoing tire performance reports from owners as we rack up the miles?

In any event, my thanks to all of you who took the time to help.
Turbo4x4
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

Turbo4x4 wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Voyager,
Balancing was done by me using the gravity method, a level and parallel set of 3 foot knife edges and the stock axle. I even grind the weights when I start getting close so I can get it as precise as possible.
This is a long shot, but this may be a case where the tire has a lateral imbalance rather than a radial imbalance. The only way to detect and correct this is with a dynamic balancer as you have to be able to place weights on just one side of the rim. This is rarely a problem on narrow wheels, but can be a significant issue on wider rims.

I'd suspect first that you have a bad tire with some nonuniformity in the structure itself.
gv550

Post by gv550 »

I've had 4 E3s on the front and they ALL wobbled, some right away and others after they are about half worn. There was no wobble with the stock Bridgestone. I have 3 more E3s in my garage and i'll use them up then go back to Bridgestone. I'm eager to find out how the new Exedra Max performs but gotta use up my Dunlops first.
Garry
2009 VN1700 Voyager ABS 625,000+ kms
1999 VN800 Drifter 210,000+ kms
2005 VN1600 Nomad Sold after 239,100 kms
voyagerone
Current bike(s): 09 1700 voyager

Post by voyagerone »

my 09 does the same thing im running metzler it not the tire it self
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Turbo4x4 wrote: Original factory Stone did not wobble at factory recommended pressure of 28 psi. We carry near maximum GVW when we travel 2 up, so increased front tire pressure to 32 psi. Wobble immediately followed. The E3 will wobble at all pressures. Tire has been checked for out of round, sidewall run out, tire seating, etc. All is as it should be. I'm stymied.

Are you saying that even with the OEM tire you got wobble when you increased the air pressure to 32PSI?
2010 Voyager 1700
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote: Original factory Stone did not wobble at factory recommended pressure of 28 psi. We carry near maximum GVW when we travel 2 up, so increased front tire pressure to 32 psi. Wobble immediately followed. The E3 will wobble at all pressures. Tire has been checked for out of round, sidewall run out, tire seating, etc. All is as it should be. I'm stymied.

Are you saying that even with the OEM tire you got wobble when you increased the air pressure to 32PSI?
Yes. And I'm also thinking, after reading all the replies recieved on this post, that this may be another instance where we all need to start advising the NHTSA of the difficulties we are experiencing with the front end wobble. This does not appear to be tire specific. Even though Dunlop supposedly states that their tires are not designed for the Voyager, I can't recall EVER hearing a tire manufacturer state that the stability issues being experienced by 2009+ Voyager owners is due to a tire design issue. It certainly has never happened with an auto. So, for my part, I'm going to contact the NHTSA and advise them of the issue. At one time in my life I had a 1970 Triumph 650 Bonnie that was highly customized, with a 12 over, 45 degree rake, SOLID 4130 chrome moly front forks, that I once drove from San Jose to Stockton, CA, hands off (hands in pocket) the entire trip (90 miles) at 2 AM in the morning, due to the extremely cold temps, and never once had a stability issue. Now, I'm not saying that was the most intelligent thing to do, but at the time, I was young, in the service, and not as concerned about liability or injury as I am now. Certainly a newly designed motorcycle, in this day and age, can be relied upon to run straight and true, with just about any tire, without shaking itself to death. Anyway, that's what I'm going to do.
Turbo4x4
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

my voyager never shook...vibrated ...nothing.....it was smooth as glass with the OE tire....even no handed .....gotta be the tires!!!
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Well, thank goodness I ordered the E3 from Jake Wilson. I just got off the phone with them and they are shipping me (at my request) a new Avon Venom AM41 (MT90B16) for the front, giving me full credit for the E3, and picking up shipping both ways. How can you ask for better customer service than that? I'll post an update on the wobble problem when I get the new tire installed.
Thanks again for the time each of you took to help me resolve this.
Turbo4x4
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

That is great news. We are all looking forward to hearing what the outcome is. :thmup:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

Turbo4x4 wrote:

Yes. And I'm also thinking, after reading all the replies recieved on this post, that this may be another instance where we all need to start advising the NHTSA of the difficulties we are experiencing with the front end wobble. This does not appear to be tire specific. Even though Dunlop supposedly states that their tires are not designed for the Voyager, I can't recall EVER hearing a tire manufacturer state that the stability issues being experienced by 2009+ Voyager owners is due to a tire design issue. It certainly has never happened with an auto. So, for my part, I'm going to contact the NHTSA and advise them of the issue. At one time in my life I had a 1970 Triumph 650 Bonnie that was highly customized, with a 12 over, 45 degree rake, SOLID 4130 chrome moly front forks, that I once drove from San Jose to Stockton, CA, hands off (hands in pocket) the entire trip (90 miles) at 2 AM in the morning, due to the extremely cold temps, and never once had a stability issue. Now, I'm not saying that was the most intelligent thing to do, but at the time, I was young, in the service, and not as concerned about liability or injury as I am now. Certainly a newly designed motorcycle, in this day and age, can be relied upon to run straight and true, with just about any tire, without shaking itself to death. Anyway, that's what I'm going to do.
Does your VV wobble when your hands are on the bars?
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Voyager wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote:

When I approach the 40 MPH mark, yes, the bars start to shake, but it only lasts until I get through 40, and then it's only noticable when I take my hands off the bars. Kinda like breaking the sound barrier.
Turbo4x4
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

Voyager wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote:

When I approach the 40 MPH mark, yes, the bars start to shake, but it only lasts until I get through 40, and then it's only noticable when I take my hands off the bars. Kinda like breaking the sound barrier.
Turbo4x4

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”