cruse\brake light switch adjustment?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

twopass
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager 12
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

cruse\brake light switch adjustment?

Post by twopass »

My cruise will work if if push the switch forward but that makes the brake light come on ,pushing the break lever out will not let the cruise work, so I don't think that my brakes can be bled to make the contact. Can I file the screw hole as to allow for some adjustment and not effect the brake light?
It looks like i need to twist the switch so that both contacts will make at the same time .
Anybody have any advise or Experience with this problem
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: cruse\brake light switch adjustment?

Post by Mr Jensee »

Bleeding the brakes will not affect the switch. fluid in the brake lines is controlled though the reservoir. Do you have a manual?
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

Take the brake handle off and see if there is some junk or dirt build up that won't let the handle contact the cruise/brake light switch. I think some others have had the same trouble with their clutch lever also.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Which brake are you referencing. The post and replies seem to be referring to both the front and rear.

If the rear, the brake light switch has nothing to do with the cruise, it is the switch mounted near where the foot pedal pinch bolt is. This can be adjusted with the screw and lock nut or by just slightly bending the tang from the foot pedal pinch bolt.

If it is the front, there are two switches mounted behind the brake lever, one for brake light and one for cruise. The push on connectors can become very loose and cause problems, just pinch them tighter with a pair of needle nose pliers. Check to see that the screws mounting the switches are secure. (Very little play here, but sometimes loosening these switches and moving them then re-tightening can help. And, lastly, you can even put a small piece of tape (electrical/duck, etc) on the inside flat of the brake handle to help insure the switches are adequately contacted so the cruise will set.

If you have a meter, it is a good idea to check the function of the switches to both make sure they work and are consistent.

Bill O

P.S. If I misread.......never mind.

:bat: Final note..... If pushing out on your handle causes your brake lights to come on, your wires to the switches have been swapped around!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Jim&Debbie
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1987 Voyager
1992 Voyager

Post by Jim&Debbie »

Bill O wrote: If it is the front, there are two switches mounted behind the brake lever, one for brake light and one for cruise. The push on connectors can become very loose and cause problems, just pinch them tighter with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Yeppers, I had that exact problem on mine, was simply a loose connection, was frustrating to find because it would be intermittent while driving.
87 Voyager XII (being resurrected)
92 Voyager XII (standing by)
twopass
Streetster
Streetster

Post by twopass »

On my front brake lever the Plastic switch is 2 pushbuttons 4 wires on one switch.
The top has 2 small connectors for the brake light wires, top button out=brake light on ,that works fine .

The bottom (same switch) has 2 bigger connectors,lower button needs to be pushed in for the cruise to work .If I take my finger and push the switch forward then the cruise works fine ,if I push the brake lever forward it don't (perch cleaned, little free play).

So I have loosened the 1 screw that holds the switch ,pushed the switch forward, and retightend it but only the top contact is made the bottom contact is so close (but just don't click) I now think the plastic button post is worn down .1 piece of black tape on lower part of brake leaver made it work for a time .(till tape wore thin)

I did use contact cleaner in the switch ,Multimeter said it was fine ,snugged up spades

I will order for a new switch If i can't get it to twist just ever so little . A heat gun or a custom bent washer may work for a time, but I think ($59 from dealer if they can get it) is high for a switch that may be only out of adjustment.
David in NW Penna
Streetster
Streetster

Post by David in NW Penna »

I don't know if this possible, but maybe it is on upside down. I just had mine off about a week ago to squirt some contact cleaner in it, and I think it might be possible to mount it upside down. It's a really simple set-up. Another thing is maybe the hand brake lever got bent somehow. I was just on line looking up the part number to buy a spare switch yesterday, and the good news it fits both the 1200 and the new 1700, so it should be around a long time. It's a little pricy, though, it think they are in the neighborhood of $32 or $33.
David & Linda in NW Penna.
1998 Voyager XII
Member AMA, AVA, EMC
twopass
Streetster
Streetster

Post by twopass »

OK I got it to work , I put on a used brake lever. They look the same ,but it Works fine now .
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I had to gently sand/grind/machine my lever on the '01 just a hair so both switches would get tripped.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”