Fuel Tank removal

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Fuel Tank removal

Post by Bruce in OK »

I'm e-mailing Carl as well, but how difficult is it to remove the fuel tank from the 1200? Either I bought some bad gas that I can't get cleaned out or the tank has began to rust enough to cause me problems. I keep having the carb overflow tube running a near full stream of gas. I have been able to flush the carbs and the problem will go away for several hundred miles and then it will occur again.

This past weekend, the wife and I were going out for a ride. The overflow poured out fuel on the initial start up. I was not able to get the flow to stop by flushing the carbs this time. It has been pretty frustrating.

I think the tank needs to come out. If it is rusting, it needs replaced (not a big believer in tank coatings). If it is remnants of bad gas, it needs removed for a proper cleaning. Any comments or tricks for removing the tank I should know about? I'm assuming the seat, trunk, saddle bags, shocks, and (possibly) unbolting the frame sub-assemblies is in order. This will probably end up in the shop this time.
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
davidl
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Fuel Tank removal

Post by davidl »

Bruce, What you listed is right. I have had to replace my tank & there is a subframe you have to take off that goes over the tank. Problem you will have is finding a "new" tank. I got one from Carl, used but clean. With the tank off, it's the best time to rebuilt the carbs. Soo much easier to remove & install them. Filter too. Send you carbs to Carl, it's worth the money. I imagine you can rebuilt them with the experience you have but he might see things you don't. Question, have you narrowed down which carbs leak?? or do they all?? might help....
Good luck,
David
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80

Post by Bruce in OK »

I know which one is leaking right now. It is the outside carb on the right side. When this condition began, it seemed to be more than one and would vary some. The carbs have been off, cleaned, new OEM needles installed on polished seats. I've been catching the fuel when flushing the carbs and the fuel seems to have gunk in it I would normally associate with water contamination. I've also seen some black "slivers" I believe may be fuel line degradation.

I was in Colorado shooting a movie when it first occured. The only gas available is ethanol and the bike sat almost a full week while filming. I was buying premium because of it being ethanol. It is plausible I got a tank full of old, bad gas.

--BNS
Bruce in OK
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

The problem could have come with the amount of ethanol in the gasoline. Anything above 20% will eat the rubber fuel lines up. The black stuff gumming up your carbs could be from decomposing fuel lines. If you could find a long glass tube or clear plastic hose and dip the tank and see what the actual fuel looks like in the tank it could save you a lot of work pulling it if you only need to replace fuel lines in the end.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80

Post by Bruce in OK »

Here's an update:

Borescope showed the tank to be clean. When the filter was cut open, it was found that the paper had separated from the filter housing. It was not filtering anything. The filter has been replaced, the carb bowls cleaned once again, and we'll be off for another try.

Hopefully, my problem is corrected. :pray:
Bruce in OK
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Hallelujah! :pray:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
davidl
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by davidl »

Way to go!!!!! As I said before, I had you problem. I was thinking about adding a filter after the fuel pump to "just make sure" but I don't know if it would affect the fuel pressure to the carbs. I was told the filter should pick up all the "trash" but if it got past it was a clear shot thru the carbs. I still may add a filter just to try it.

Good luck with your carbs,
david

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”