A 'Tongue Weight' question

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

EVAHank
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2010 Honda NT700V
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

A 'Tongue Weight' question

Post by EVAHank »

Hey, Everyone;
I'm looking at a 'teardrop' camping trailer to tow behind my VXII. It's from an outfit called 'Little Guy' (http://www.littleguy.com), it's empty wt is about 450 lbs, max wt is 650lbs, and the tongue wt (I think) is 50 lbs empty. I seem to remember reading that the best tongue wc for the VXII is around 30 lbs. Would the excess tongue wt be a problem? Could I reduce it by 'aft-loading' the trailer? Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Ride Safe and Sane; and PLEASE-ATGATT!!
Hank, Ol'Faithful, and The Silver Bullet
'03 Voyager XII~Last of the Breed!
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: A 'Tongue Weight' question

Post by debron »

Good question Hank, and one I've wondered about because if/when I get a trailer, I would like a single wheel trailer which would put about half the weight on the hitch since the entire trailer and load are in front of the wheel.

I know your concern is the total weight on the hitch and it's effect on the bike, but a 30 lb max tongue weight would limit you (theoretically using the 10% minimum tongue weight formula [15% is better]) to a 300 lb two-wheel trailer (trailer weight + cargo.)

If you are towing 600 lbs, you want (theoretically) 60 lbs or more tongue weight. The danger with loading more weight behind the axle to lighten the tongue weight is you end up with a tail-wagging-the-dog situation. Your trailer will want to wander and swerve all over the road, taking you and your bike with it. If you load the trailer so that tongue weight is 30 lbs and total weight is 600 lbs, you're down to a 5% tongue weight, a dangerous situation.

Also, I think a 60 lb load on the trailer hitch will have more negative effect on the bike's handling than a 120 passenger, maybe even a 180 lb passenger due to the long leverage of the hitch.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt because my trailer knowledge and experience are limited to towing boats, camping trailers, and utility trailers with cars and pickups, but I suspect the physics are the same. Many here have said that simply lengthening the tongue has solved their towing issues, so maybe it works differently with bikes.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Hank,
I have seen the "Little Guy" trailer, and I am also experienced with pulling trailers, and in my opinion, the Little Guy is entirely too heavy for the Voyager. I know that Little Guy now makes a Tear Drop mini that is large enough to sleep in, but it is basically an empty Cargo Trailer.

Not trying to dissuade you, but there are gaggles of trailers out there to choose from. If you are set on a Teardrop, I've seen other manufacturers who have produced quality Teardrop trailers that are comparable to the Little Guy but more within the weight range for pulling with a motorcycle.

Here is an old link I saved for refering to Motorcycle Trailers:

http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm There are some dead links on this page, but there are some very good ideas.

If your interest is just for a Camper, then there are also a gaggle of brands that make some very nice "Pop-up" campers.

I have two favorites from my herd. For Camping, I use a 2001 Aspen Classic. Not that I think it better than other Pop-up's, just that it was the one I bought and am very happy with it. My current "Cargo" of choice is my "Wag" trailer. (Little horse trailer look-a-like).

ImageImage

Good luck.

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

PS - Hank, I clicked on your link and it gets redirected to Western Exterminator pest control. I think this is the correct link: Little Guy Trailers

The PO of my '01 rode two-up with his wife and pulled a trailer. I never saw it but he estimated it weighed 650 lbs loaded. He pulled it for around 50,000 miles. Didn't discuss tongue weight.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”