Victory Vision Test Ride

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

KorenK
Current bike(s): 1999 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Victory Vision Test Ride

Post by KorenK »

I rode a Victory Vision today. Did a 20 mile ride on an 2008 Tour Premium Package.
I am not usually a V-twin fan, or I should really say a Harley fan as I have riden them before.
BUT... This Victory is TOTALLY different.
It was a GREAT ride. Comfortable and handled VERY well. NO vibration in the bars and a tiny bit of vibs in the floorboards but nothing noticable unless you were looking for it. The SEAT is VERY comfy and handlebars are right there where they should be. Engine very SMOOTH. Shifting a little "clunky" but not a problem. Dash layout is great also. Stereo is VERY loud. Fairing kept wind away and the electric windscreen was cool and easy to use. NO buffetting.
Trunk space is good, can fit two full-face helmets, enough room for the laptop for work. The side bags are a tad smaller than I would like but livable. Linked Brakes, no ABS option. Fit and Finish EXCELLENT.

After that I rode a Goldwing GL1800. I did not think it even came close to the Victory.
While riding the Goldwing I said to myself this is no better than the V12 and actually I like the V12 better. But when riding the Victory I was thinking THIS could/may be my next bike. :clap:

I am going to try a BMW K1200LT next.
I think the choice will end up being out of the Victory or BMW. I know two totaly differnt types of ride and styles but the COMFORT on the Victory was awesome (I am 6ft 195lbs)
Take one for a ride if you can!!

Koren
Tom(North Alabama)
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager II
2002 BMW k1200LTE - sold

Re: Victory Vision Test Ride

Post by Tom(North Alabama) »

I tried one out a few months ago... not bad at all. The biggest problem came when I took my back seat 'boss' with me. The saddle bags are too far forward and too high so the passenger legs rest on top of the bags, gee, I wonder how long the paint will last. My wife is 5'10" my brother-in-laws wife is 5' she barely touches the pegs, her legs are really on-top of the bags.
One thing that kind of hit my funny-bone is the salesmans biggest show off was the electric windscreen??? BMW has had those for 20 years, the sport-touring bikes have had for 10.
'02 Voyager XII
'08 Concours 14 - sold
'02 BMW K1200LTE
bresna

Post by bresna »

Tom(North Alabama) wrote:I tried one out a few months ago... not bad at all. The biggest problem came when I took my back seat 'boss' with me. The saddle bags are too far forward and too high so the passenger legs rest on top of the bags, gee, I wonder how long the paint will last. My wife is 5'10" my brother-in-laws wife is 5' she barely touches the pegs, her legs are really on-top of the bags.
One thing that kind of hit my funny-bone is the salesmans biggest show off was the electric windscreen??? BMW has had those for 20 years, the sport-touring bikes have had for 10.
Oh, that is disappointing to read! I was going to test drive a Vision this weekend and I had my wife all set up. Now, if she finds out that her legs rest on the side bags, this will will likely nix any purchase. Oh well - stuck with a Voyager. :-D
KorenK

Post by KorenK »

I would go for the test ride anyway. Everyone has a different perspective. I never thought i would consider a twin BUT, now its is possible. I still can not get over the fit and finish. My wife does not ride with me and my daughter will ride once in a while but not on any long trips. Daughter sat on it and had no problem. She is 5' 6" tall. But, thanks for the info I will look at that specifically, to see where he legs end up. I know HD riders whos passengers legs rub on the chrome saddlebag rails. I will look into it more if i go in to purchase, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
I tend to do a lot of cross country travel and this bike is heading to the top of the short list.

Koren
Marty in Texas
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Marty in Texas »

I was all exicted about the Victory Vision my self until I actually saw one. This took place at the Cycle World INternational show here in Ft Worth back in November.
I was not impressed. The saddlebags are way smaller than they look from the outside, and the openings are ridiculous. The handle bars remind me of a tiller for a boat. I also do not like having the gas tank up in the fairing, in my face so to speak. The drive train maybe very good, but in my opinion Victory needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.
Marty
If I have to explain, you won't understand.

1996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200A
1978 Yamaha XS650SE

CMA #63099 North Texas Area Rep
TMRA #30043
IBA #31625
KorenK

Post by KorenK »

I rode the Victory Vision one more time in Laconia. It was about 75 degrees and it was on a much longer ride. The HEAT comming from the engine was unbearable. Goes to show you you can not tell much from a 10 minute test drive. You really have to ride it for a while and in all conditions to really know. I would hate to spend 20G's based on a test ride and then get home and learn I hate the bike after a few days riding. I guess this one is out!!
All in all since the V12 know I want to sell it it has been running GREAT. If I can only get it more comfy maybe I'll keep it!!
Koren
bresna

Post by bresna »

KorenK wrote:I rode the Victory Vision one more time in Laconia. It was about 75 degrees and it was on a much longer ride. The HEAT coming from the engine was unbearable.
They say the HD Glides are that way too. However, they also say that it is mainly due to them having to run them very lean to meet government emissions standards. Everyone modifies their Glide the day they get it home to make it run cooler. I suppose the same thing could be done with the Victory twin.

It's too bad that Victory didn't add water cooling to this massive twin tourer. It would seem to be needed. Even HD's V-Rod, which is water cooled, still runs pretty hot. Only so much you can do when one cylinder is sitting directly behind the other.
CelticArmor

Post by CelticArmor »

Am I the only one that thinks they are UGLY :tong: ?

Looks like a cheesy sci-fi bike from a bad 80's movie (IMHO).

Love my Voyager!
The Count

Post by The Count »

I don't like them either. To futuristic for me.....
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

I don't mind the futuristic looks at all, but those small saddlebags, and what appears to be a huge front fairing piece that you might have to replace if you drop the bike makes me concerned with it. I also would want a water-cooled multi cylinder. Air cooled twins would be out for me. Futuristic bike with a cave man engine doesn't make sense.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

KorenK wrote:I rode a Victory Vision today. Did a 20 mile ride on an 2008 Tour Premium Package.
I am not usually a V-twin fan, or I should really say a Harley fan as I have riden them before.
BUT... This Victory is TOTALLY different.
It was a GREAT ride. Comfortable and handled VERY well. NO vibration in the bars and a tiny bit of vibs in the floorboards but nothing noticable unless you were looking for it. The SEAT is VERY comfy and handlebars are right there where they should be. Engine very SMOOTH. Shifting a little "clunky" but not a problem. Dash layout is great also. Stereo is VERY loud. Fairing kept wind away and the electric windscreen was cool and easy to use. NO buffetting.
Trunk space is good, can fit two full-face helmets, enough room for the laptop for work. The side bags are a tad smaller than I would like but livable. Linked Brakes, no ABS option. Fit and Finish EXCELLENT.

After that I rode a Goldwing GL1800. I did not think it even came close to the Victory.
While riding the Goldwing I said to myself this is no better than the V12 and actually I like the V12 better. But when riding the Victory I was thinking THIS could/may be my next bike. :clap:

I am going to try a BMW K1200LT next.
I think the choice will end up being out of the Victory or BMW. I know two totaly differnt types of ride and styles but the COMFORT on the Victory was awesome (I am 6ft 195lbs)
Take one for a ride if you can!!

Koren
Have you ridden the LT yet? I just rolled over 7K miles on my 2007 and am very happy with it thus far. It has its issues as do all bikes (the seat is the main issue), but overall is an outstanding machine. I recently read a test conducted in the UK where they compared the Vision, LT, Wing and, I believe, a H-D Ultra Classic and they were also quite impressed with the Vision, but I believe the tester in the end said he'd probably go with the LT. He did admit though that the Vision was a real surprise and he liked it much better than he expected. i wouldn't mind trying one, but for me the nearest Victory dealer is even farther away than my BMW dealer (110 miles) and that is a non-starter. I've also gotten quite enamored with the BMW features such as the heated seats and grips, power center stand, power windshield, trip computer, etc.
2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
KorenK

Post by KorenK »

I rode the Vision more extensively in Laconia. The problem I found was the HEAT coming from the engine. Made an otherwise nice bike something that I could not ride. Glad I was able to ride it more on a hotter day than the first time for a better eval. I still think all the points I found in the first test ride are still great features but I do not want a bike that throws heat as much as it does. That's why I stay away from the Harley - been there done that!!

Never got a chance to ride the LT so maybe sometime soon.

Koren
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

KorenK wrote:I rode the Vision more extensively in Laconia. The problem I found was the HEAT coming from the engine. Made an otherwise nice bike something that I could not ride. Glad I was able to ride it more on a hotter day than the first time for a better eval. I still think all the points I found in the first test ride are still great features but I do not want a bike that throws heat as much as it does. That's why I stay away from the Harley - been there done that!!

Never got a chance to ride the LT so maybe sometime soon.

Koren
If you do, I'm curious to hear your thoughts and comparison. One thing the LT does very well is manage heat. It is much better than the Voyager in that regard and the Voyager was pretty good. However, on a hot day at a stop, when the cooling fans kicked on I could feel the heat pretty well. On the LT, I can't even tell if the fans have ever kicked on. If they have, I've never felt any heat and I've ridden it on several days at 95-96 temps.

My main complaint with the LT is the uncomfortable seat and I hope to address that this winter with a custom seat. Probably my next complaint is the price of everything to do with a BMW. All of the common accessories seem to cost 2-3X what those for a Voyager or GW cost. The cup holder is $125 for example! And, no, I didn't buy one!
mjwolf

Post by mjwolf »

The Count wrote:I don't like them either. To futuristic for me.....
Thats what I thought too. Like a Judge Dredd bike. Although, the more I see them the more the looks grow on me. :clap:
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

mjwolf wrote:
The Count wrote:I don't like them either. To futuristic for me.....
Thats what I thought too. Like a Judge Dredd bike. Although, the more I see them the more the looks grow on me. :clap:

I said the same thing about the Dodge RAM, and then I bought the 2002 when they had the quad cab version.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
TaiwanJohn
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TaiwanJohn »

I love my VXII, but it is getting tired, and the wind buffeting is starting to really peeve me off.

I rode the Vision last week, and I think I am in love. It is funky looking, the bags are small, the power is not tremendous, BUT, big BUT, the leg space is awesome, important to a 6'2" guy with bum knees, and the wind protection was awesome even with the screen all the way down. I wish it were a shaft and a hundred pounds lighter, though.

I just might have to buy one. None of the other big bikes are close in terms of leg room.

I rode a Concours 1400 also. I was hoping that one was for me, but no deal.
Hire a Realtor that lives like you do, ON 2 WHEELS!!

http://www.HutchinsonMNRealty.com
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

TaiwanJohn wrote:I love my VXII, but it is getting tired, and the wind buffeting is starting to really peeve me off.
Why are you getting wind buffeting? Are you talking about the bike being pushed around or your helmet being pushed around?

If it is the bike, my new suspension components took care of that issue. If it is the helmet, I have never noticed that with my 2" rise hartco seat and the stock screen.
2010 Voyager 1700
TaiwanJohn
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TaiwanJohn »

The wind buffeting on my helmet is the culprit. I have put up with it for years, but it is really annoying me this year. I do like to look over the windshield, and run a short shield in the summer, and a stock one in the winter. The stock shield all the way up still causes turbulence. And no, I am not going to put on a huge clearview on my bike. Not when I can buy a Vision which has GREAT wind protection, shield up or down.

I have put almost 50,000 miles on my VXII in the last 3 years, it is just about time for a change. Hence the test ride....

Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

TaiwanJohn wrote:The wind buffeting on my helmet is the culprit. I have put up with it for years, but it is really annoying me this year. I do like to look over the windshield, and run a short shield in the summer, and a stock one in the winter. The stock shield all the way up still causes turbulence. And no, I am not going to put on a huge clearview on my bike. Not when I can buy a Vision which has GREAT wind protection, shield up or down.

I have put almost 50,000 miles on my VXII in the last 3 years, it is just about time for a change. Hence the test ride....
I had the same problem to a small degree on my Voyager, but my wife had a much more serious problem. Neither of us have trouble with the LT with the shield fully raised. If I lower it much at all, she starts getting helmet buffeting. I can lower it more than halfway before I get significant buffeting. I must say, the electrically adjustable windshield is the cat's meow. I'm glad to see that Victory included it on the Vision.

If the Vision didn't have the funky looks and had more storage space, I'd have looked at one given the fairly good reviews it has received. However, I really like the technology of the BMW and as long as my final drive doesn't fail (this is apparently a key weak point with BMWs with the paralever suspension), I'm a happy camper.

I'm averaging nearly 50 MPG and the bike handles very nicely for a touring bike, miles ahead of the Voyager. No detectable flex in the frame (which is a huge aluminum casting) or suspension and the steering damper prevents front end shimmy even with my cupped tires (just about time to change them at nearly 9,000 miles). I don't use the reverse, but it is nice to know it is there if needed. However, I use the electric center stand often along with the adjustable windshield and heated grips and seats. Very nice.

The LT is tuned more for higher RPM power similar to the Voyager and I'd prefer a little more low-end grunt, but that is my main complaint from a rideability perspective. It also lacks the cubby storage that I found so nice on the Voyager. Does the Vision have any small storage places like the Voyager has on the saddlebag lids and on each side of the inner fairing panels? The LT has one little compartment under a cover on the false tank, but it is very small and anything in there prevents access to the audio system, CD slot, etc.
TaiwanJohn
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TaiwanJohn »

I looked at the LT, but I just don't think I would be happy with the leg room.

The Vision is growing on me. As for storage, if I need more, I'll pull a trailer.

Belts are nice, but I do wish it had shaft drive and a center stand.....

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”