Fitting New Spark Plugs ?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Old Nyk
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1984 Kawasaki ZN 1300 Voyager.

1966 Triumph T100ss

1996 Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fitting New Spark Plugs ?

Post by Old Nyk »

Got to know my 1984 ZN1300 Voyager a lot better now.BUT ! :hmm: aint done this one yet :thk: .Thought i would ask advice "As Usual" !!.I am going to change the Spark Plugs.I know that the Petrol Tank has one bolt to hold it in place.Ahhhhhhhhhhhh but what happens after that ???.I also know that somewhere under there are Petrol Pipes and an Electrical connection for the Trip Computer so a bit of advice from you fol'ks who have already done this would be much appreciated :bowdn: ,probably being over cautious but have been caught out before.You know,when you gently pull somethin and bits and bobs go flying everywhere :cry2: and you don't know where they come from ??.You work it out eventually but better to be prepared eh ! and happy Holidays to you all. :thmup:
Jolly Good Show.All the best from Old Nyk in the U.K.
Born Again "OLD" Biker !
My Bikes.
1966 Triumph T100ss --
1984 Kawasaki ZN 1300.Voyager
1996 Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Fitting New Spark Plugs ?

Post by Me Again »

The screws a good place to start,but theres a lot more to go.
Make sure the fuel is off and drain the lines as best you can,cranking it it over a few times with the fuel off will work pretty good.
Disconnect hose at shut off and return lines ,plus the small vent line at the rear of tank.
Pull tank back a little so you can raise it up and reach under the right side. Disconnect 2 harnesses (one from the trip computer the other from the fuel gage) and the vent line from the fuel gage.
Remember,7 gallons of "petrol" is heavy ,so you want to take a longgg ride before you start.
addonii
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by addonii »

Make sure the fuel is off and drain the lines as best you can,cranking it it over a few times with the fuel off will work pretty good.
Disconnect hose at shut off and return lines ,plus the small vent line at the rear of tank.
Pull tank back a little so you can raise it up and reach under the right side. Disconnect 2 harnesses (one from the trip computer the other from the fuel gage) and the vent line from the fuel gage.
Remember,7 gallons of "petrol" is heavy ,so you want to take a longgg ride before you start.
Just a few additional items - pull the lower faring legs to make it a lot easier. Also if you have the California version of the bike you will have a few extra hoses to deal with, just make sure you install the hoses back in the same places as they were removed from. Take a few pictures and and use colored tape to keep track of the hoses.

Re: those two connectors under the tank - if they haven't been split in a long time they will want to stay together (read hard to split) so get someone to help you hold the tank up while you split the connectors and once split clean them up and grease with a silicone electrical grease to preserve the connectors and make it easier next time.

Since a full tank is quite heavy you may want to drain the majority of petrol from the tank. Muscling a full tank will make it easier to put a dent in the tank so a near empty tank will keep you from damaging it.
Old Nyk
Cruiser
Cruiser

1966 Triumph T100ss

Post by Old Nyk »

Me Again wrote:The screws a good place to start,but theres a lot more to go.
Thank you for that info,i new it would be a tricky operation so looked to the experts on here,your time is really appreciated.As for the fuel i don't keep too much in there while the bike is laid up.I will feel a bit more confident after your advice.Thank you,regards.Old Nyk. :thmup:
Born Again "OLD" Biker !
My Bikes.
1966 Triumph T100ss --
Old Nyk
Cruiser
Cruiser

1966 Triumph T100ss

Post by Old Nyk »

addonii wrote:
Just a few additional items - pull the lower faring legs to make it a lot easier. Also if you have the California version of the bike you will have a few extra hoses to deal with, just make sure you install the hoses back in the same places as they were removed from. Take a few pictures and and use colored tape to keep track of the hoses.

Re: those two connectors under the tank - if they haven't been split in a long time they will want to stay together (read hard to split) so get someone to help you hold the tank up while you split the connectors and once split clean them up and grease with a silicone electrical grease to preserve the connectors and make it easier next time.

Since a full tank is quite heavy you may want to drain the majority of petrol from the tank. Muscling a full tank will make it easier to put a dent in the tank so a near empty tank will keep you from damaging it.
Much appreciated for your advice,always lucky to get help on here,bit easier to change the plugs on my old Triumph :clap: knew the Voyager would be tricky but gonna tackle it soon,with abit more confidence now thank's to your help,very best wishes and regards from Old Nyk. :thmup:
Born Again "OLD" Biker !
My Bikes.
1966 Triumph T100ss --
Old Nyk
Cruiser
Cruiser

1966 Triumph T100ss

Post by Old Nyk »

Well Blimey ! :-O after all that fuss i made :thk: Took another look at the situation and changed them plugs without taking the fuel tank off :thmup: just needed a double knuckle adapter on a plug socket :hmm: .The plugs were black as coal,bike runs better with new ones. :bravo:
Born Again "OLD" Biker !
My Bikes.
1966 Triumph T100ss --
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

I have always taken the tank off to get to those middle 2 until only a couple weeks ago.
I ran across an old double knuckle with a T handle and said "what the heck ,lets try it"
I was actually a little surprised when it dropped right in and worked perfectly.
I'll never have to pull the tank for a plug again. :thmup:
Old Nyk
Cruiser
Cruiser

1966 Triumph T100ss

Post by Old Nyk »

Me Again wrote:I have always taken the tank off to get to those middle 2 until only a couple weeks ago.
I ran across an old double knuckle with a T handle and said "what the heck ,lets try it"
I was actually a little surprised when it dropped right in and worked perfectly.
I'll never have to pull the tank for a plug again. :thmup:
Glad you tried it,so was i.Bit of a fiddly one but better than taking the tank off eh :clap: all the best wishes from Old Nyk. :thmup:
Born Again "OLD" Biker !
My Bikes.
1966 Triumph T100ss --

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”