maintinence

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bikermike
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 91 Kaw Voyager
81 Kaw GPZ 1100
71 Kaw 350 Avenger
83 Honda CX650C
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

maintinence

Post by bikermike »

Well sadly,, both my bikes are stabil treated and tucked away in a cold garage for the winter... sighhhh.... At any rate, my voyager is a 91 with 50k on it.. in the spring i'm going to do all the fluids... brake fluids, clutch fluid, antifreeze etc...What would u folks suggest for cooling system hose changes? After 20 years i'd feel my comfortable out on the road with new items... are there any other misc items that u suggest being changed for the coming year? Thanks for any advice u may have ... Thanks again Mike
bikermike
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 91 Kaw Voyager
81 Kaw GPZ 1100
71 Kaw 350 Avenger
83 Honda CX650C
Been liked: 0

Re: maintinence

Post by bikermike »

i should mention that i will have both wheels off the bike to install new E3's on it ... the PO said he had new wheel bearings and fork seals installed at some point.. one of the fork seals has a slight leak in it once again. i am going to order Prog front springs while i have it apart. would u suggest using the OEM seals or aftermarket? and proper fork oil weight to use with the new springs??? thanks, Mike
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I haven't had to change fork seals ever on my Voyager but I am sure the aftermarket ones would not be a problem since a lot of OEM stock is getting old on the shelf. You can change springs without removing the fork tubes off the bike, they are accessible from tops. Carl Leo has an excellent video I would recommend ordering from this site, doesn't cost much and covers about everything you could ask about the forks. Also you can pm me with a link to a site where you can download a PDF of the Voyager XII manual if you like.
-Michael
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

If you use after market fork seals, make sure they are a high quality item.Back in my GS850 days{about 20 years ago}I put after market fork seals in and within 1500 miles they were leaking.Upon removal,I found they had no springs holding the seal lip against the fork tube :gmad: I replaced again with oem and had no leakage the rest of the time I owned the bike,about 25000 miles :clap:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Many years ago I changed out fork seals on a GS1000L but I can't remember if they were OEM or aftermarket. Since the forks were also air type and they never leaked afterward, I assume they were a quality part. Back in the day GS OEM parts were scarce, more so today (the bike was 22 years old then). My thinking is since we have an expert available 24/7 in Carl Leo, it would be prudent to give him a call. He probably has the seals and would give you the best price anyway.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”