Moving floor boards back

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 81 times

Moving floor boards back

Post by HMB Don »

Has anyone seen or read about moving the floor boards back about 4". I plan on doing this mod to my Voyager, hoping to get my feet under me. I don't use highway pegs or boards, last motorcycle I had highway peg on was in the middle seventy's. I have a short inseam 29". My goal is to try a more sport touring leg position.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000
Been liked: 0

Re: Moving floor boards back

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

You should be able to do this with some spacer modification blocks to move the mounting brackets back on the floorboards and also modifying the shifter and brakes,,,you may find some parts from the Harley Davidson aftermarket venders such as J P cycles catalogue to be useful in this effort. I have seen this done on the Harley Ultra classics and the kits should be able to be modified to work on the Vulcan Voyager but possibly having someone just fabricate the needed parts would be cheaper.

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC President
5th grade Spelling Bee Champ
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Been liked: 0

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Hey Don, Have you tried riding with just the balls of your feet at the back of the boards? I'll ride that way sometimes on a long ride or when riding the tight twisties. You have to be watchful of the heel shifter though.

I have been on various Vulcan forums for a couple years now and you are the first I have heard of who wants to move the boards back further. There was a guy who wanted to get rid of the heel shifter so hw could slide his feet around more on the boards.

Another option could be to go with longer boards like the Victory bikes have if you can find one that would bring them back further for you.

Roaring Toyz (Roaring Twinz) makes an adapter to be able to mount aftermarket boards on the Voyager.
2010 Voyager 1700
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I'm ordering right side floor board mounting bracket, and the shifter linkage rod from Kawasaki. Some 1/4" steel plate and new welding rod, then I'll head over to a club members garage that has welders and a torch for cutting. I've tried riding with my feet off of the floor boards. For short distances it's ok, I rode like that today felt alright, but for all day ride it's not going to work.

Don Medina
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”