New (to me) trailer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott in IL
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2 x 1984 ZN1300 Voyager
2001 BMW K1200LT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New (to me) trailer

Post by Scott in IL »

I finally found a trailer at what I thought was a very good price, $200. An 83 Coleman Caboose in fairly good shape. It needs just a little bit of work, third brake light, bearing buddies, weather stripping, and new safety chains, and it should be good to go.
I would like to confirm some of what I have read here:
1) The hitch should be lower than the rear axle of the bike. It doesn't make the trailer tongue sit level but if that is the way it should be I'll do it.
2) The length of the trailer tongue should be 1.5 times the distance between the center of the tires. Is that length measured from the trailer axle to the tip of the tongue?

All input is appreciated. I need to start practicing.
If everything works out and holds up, I plan on pulling it to the rally.

Thanks,
Scott
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New (to me) trailer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

1) Hadn't really ever heard of a preference (except to not have it too high), but I'd think you'd want it even. Too high and the trailer will push the back end around. Too low and the trailer will cause the front end to be loose or uneasy feeling. If I had to have it one way or the other, I suppose a hair low would be better than a hair high. That way, under braking, the front end of the bike would dive normally and level everything out. You just don't want it too low. Otherwise, the you'd lose traction on the front of the bike.

2) Yes, 1 1/2 times the axle width for tongue length is a good baseline. I measure from the axle to the ball, but it doesn't have to be exact.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

The idea of having the ball a hair below the axel (when you are on it) is to insure that if you use the rear brake that the trailer will push down and assist in braking by putting force & weight down on the rear of MC giving it more grip, rather than having it higher than axel the forward force of trailer may tend to lift weight off of braking force. Using the rear brake with a trailer attached properly can assist your stopping it with very good control. Set up properly pulling a trailer you do not even feel it behind you. (But you better remember it is there!!! Ride safe..
doug of no fla
34Mike
Current bike(s): 95 XII
Venture
Goldwing(RIP)
V-Star
Vulcan

Post by 34Mike »

A GREAT place for motorcycle trailer info..... http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.a ... ilertowing :thmup:
Mike
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” ~ Lao Tzu ~
1995 Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I agree on the Delphi trailer forum.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Scott in IL
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2 x 1984 ZN1300 Voyager
2001 BMW K1200LT

Post by Scott in IL »

Yes, the Delphi forum is in my favorites.

I mounted the third brake light but now have to figure out how to wire it. Logic says that if I connect it to the taillight wire for the brake light, it would blink with the turn signal.
So do I run a separate wire up to the brake light on the bike? Or do I change from the 4 prong plug to a 5 or 6 prong plug?

As for the rally, I am not sure I will make it. The bike has been down for three weeks now and may not be back on the road for another week or two.
Plus that much time off at one time may be hard with the work schedule.

Scott
1st one
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Post by 1st one »

Never owned or even pulled a trailer behind a MC until Aug of 2012 13 cu/ft of cargo space torsion bar suspension LED lights. Pulls like its not even behind the bike
If your back tire lasts more than a season,
Then your not riding enough

2009 Voyager
1st One

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”