Can a Concours replace the Voyager XII as a touring bike?

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Can a Concours replace the Voyager XII as a touring bike?

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

For those that just don't like V-twins, or the strange riding position of the Gold Wings and are wondering what bike may replace your aging Voyager XII, you may want to take a look at the Concours 14.

Yes, the Concours is marketed as a sport tourer, but I have spent some time on two Concours forums and have seen what some have done to their Concours to turn it into a sporty tourer.

There are windshields available in just about every shape and size. Here is one example:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

Helibars makes a bar that is adjustable with up to 4" rise and 6" pullback over the stock bars.
http://www.helibars.com/products-by-bike/kawasaki

Both Corbin and RDL make touring style seats for the Connie.

Corbin also makes the most passenger friendly trunk.
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kc8trnk.shtml

You can get foot peg lowering blocks, an assortment of case guards/crash bars, electronic cruise control, trailer hitches, etc to create the bike the way you want it. Some guys have even mounted highway pegs, XM radio, CB, etc.

The basic Concours is an amazing machine! Super smooth and very powerful. I have only seen 6th gear a couple of times on mine. If you short shift and keep off the throttle you can get mileage in the mid 40s, but you can also hit 95 MPH in second gear if you so desire.

The one main thing that would be hard to change too much is the seat height. Even with the lower seat I don't think you can get as low as you can with the Voyager XII.
2010 Voyager 1700
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Can a Concours replace the Voyager XII as a touring bike?

Post by debron »

I've often considered a sport tourer to replace my XII -- the Connie, the Yami FJR, or the Honda ST1100/1300. But just haven't been able to get past the seating/riding position. :hmm:

If you try any of the mods you mentioned I'd love to hear your opinions! :thmup:
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Can a Concours replace the Voyager XII as a touring bike?

Post by Mr Jensee »

I've visited the Concours site a number of times. Interesting reading.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
paul h
Current bike(s): BKing
Voyager 1200

Re: Can a Concours replace the Voyager XII as a touring bike

Post by paul h »

David My wife and Ijust purchased anew concours and are over the moon thrilled with it.Ithandles out of this world and is sooo smooth its unreal.We bought the new sheild from Cal Science and we can talk in complete silence its great.I also bought a Kawasaki trunk and we haul as much home from Walmart as we do on our 1200and it is sure alot more fun.We dont have a radio yet but I would rather hear that wonderful noise that engine makes it has a sound like a lear jet. Ijust cant tell you how great that bike goes (FAAAAST)AND HANDLES its agiggle a minute Ilove it .I HAVE HAD AT LEAST 25 BIKES INCLUDING 2 NEW WINGS AND IVE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH FUN. Ieven traded my B-King on it anddont even miss its power. I still have old faithful for now but im going to sell her in the near future. Ihope you enjoy yours as much as we do adios. Paul Harvey
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

While looking at ebay the other night, I found an ad for a 2006 Concours being offered for sale from a dealer. In their description they stated that the older style Connie was preferred over the newer 1400. I was just wondering if they were trying to make a sale of if that truly is the case. From what I've seen and read about the 1400, it might be my next bike if I ever decide to move away from my Voyager.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

jre258 in SoDak wrote:While looking at ebay the other night, I found an ad for a 2006 Concours being offered for sale from a dealer. In their description they stated that the older style Connie was preferred over the newer 1400. I was just wondering if they were trying to make a sale of if that truly is the case. From what I've seen and read about the 1400, it might be my next bike if I ever decide to move away from my Voyager.
Jim
Of course the older Connie has a following. Just like the Voyager XII has a following.

I guess it is a matter of technology and safety and power vs classic and easy to work on.

Also, price is a factor for some. If you go to the Concours owners group you will find a number of riding who have owned both. They can provide a good opinion.
2010 Voyager 1700
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:For those that just don't like V-twins, or the strange riding position of the Gold Wings and are wondering what bike may replace your aging Voyager XII, you may want to take a look at the Concours 14.

Yes, the Concours is marketed as a sport tourer, but I have spent some time on two Concours forums and have seen what some have done to their Concours to turn it into a sporty tourer.

There are windshields available in just about every shape and size. Here is one example:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

Helibars makes a bar that is adjustable with up to 4" rise and 6" pullback over the stock bars.
http://www.helibars.com/products-by-bike/kawasaki

Both Corbin and RDL make touring style seats for the Connie.

Corbin also makes the most passenger friendly trunk.
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kc8trnk.shtml

You can get foot peg lowering blocks, an assortment of case guards/crash bars, electronic cruise control, trailer hitches, etc to create the bike the way you want it. Some guys have even mounted highway pegs, XM radio, CB, etc.

The basic Concours is an amazing machine! Super smooth and very powerful. I have only seen 6th gear a couple of times on mine. If you short shift and keep off the throttle you can get mileage in the mid 40s, but you can also hit 95 MPH in second gear if you so desire.

The one main thing that would be hard to change too much is the seat height. Even with the lower seat I don't think you can get as low as you can with the Voyager XII.
I seriously considered the C14 after selling my XII, but the lack of cruise control was the deal-breaker for me. So I ended up in the BMW camp. I still hope that Kawasaki will bring out a true luxury touring machine again, or follow BMW's lead and offer cruise control on their sport touring bikes. I'm just not a V-twin man so the V17 is a non-starter for me.
2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Voyager wrote: I seriously considered the C14 after selling my XII, but the lack of cruise control was the deal-breaker for me. So I ended up in the BMW camp. I still hope that Kawasaki will bring out a true luxury touring machine again, or follow BMW's lead and offer cruise control on their sport touring bikes. I'm just not a V-twin man so the V17 is a non-starter for me.
There are aftermarket cruise control options available for the Concours. The best integrated one is by MotorCycle Cruise http://www.mccruise.com/products/27. It is $1000 dollars and designed to work like a factory cruise would work. There are cheaper options where folks have adapted car cruise to the bikes.

Even with this option the Concours would still be thousands less $ than a BMW.

I am thinking that Kawasaki will have to give in and add cruise in the near future because triumph's new sport touring bike "Triumph Trophy SE", will have all the amenities. Yamaha is going through a redesign of their sport touring so we will see what they come up with as well.
2010 Voyager 1700
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce in OK »

Cruise is great if you're riding alone or leading the group. If not, you're constantly fiddling with it to match the speed of the lead bike (which doesn't have cruise).
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
Voyager wrote: I seriously considered the C14 after selling my XII, but the lack of cruise control was the deal-breaker for me. So I ended up in the BMW camp. I still hope that Kawasaki will bring out a true luxury touring machine again, or follow BMW's lead and offer cruise control on their sport touring bikes. I'm just not a V-twin man so the V17 is a non-starter for me.
There are aftermarket cruise control options available for the Concours. The best integrated one is by MotorCycle Cruise http://www.mccruise.com/products/27. It is $1000 dollars and designed to work like a factory cruise would work. There are cheaper options where folks have adapted car cruise to the bikes.

Even with this option the Concours would still be thousands less $ than a BMW.

I am thinking that Kawasaki will have to give in and add cruise in the near future because triumph's new sport touring bike "Triumph Trophy SE", will have all the amenities. Yamaha is going through a redesign of their sport touring so we will see what they come up with as well.
Yes, I am aware of those, but I really want a bike that comes as a supported system. There are options out there that include cruise. It is unfortunate that Kawaski, Yamaha and others ignore this on their sport tourers.
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

Bruce in OK wrote:Cruise is great if you're riding alone or leading the group. If not, you're constantly fiddling with it to match the speed of the lead bike (which doesn't have cruise).
I agree. I am an eagle and generally fly alone. I do maybe one group ride a year. I find cruise absolutely invaluable and will not buy another bike without it.

If you are a group rider, this isn't a concern for you.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Voyager wrote:
Bruce in OK wrote:Cruise is great if you're riding alone or leading the group. If not, you're constantly fiddling with it to match the speed of the lead bike (which doesn't have cruise).
I agree. I am an eagle and generally fly alone. I do maybe one group ride a year. I find cruise absolutely invaluable and will not buy another bike without it.

I must be getting old or spoiled or both, but I am in agreement with you. A couple years ago I said I was done with carbs, now after a 7000 mile ride on the versys I am done with chains. After being spoiled with truly functional cruise on the new Voyager I want it on all my bikes. Now I am even spoiled by the GPS and it's ability to get me home no matter where I am. Not to mention helping me find my favorite restaurant when I am out and about.
2010 Voyager 1700
Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce in OK »

There's nothing wrong with being old, spoiled, or both! I'm ready to be done with carbs, have been looking at GPS units, and have even considered going to a bluetooth setup with my next helmet.

But, to be clear, David. Is it just the chain drive or does the belt fall into that category as well?
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Bruce in OK wrote:There's nothing wrong with being old, spoiled, or both! I'm ready to be done with carbs, have been looking at GPS units, and have even considered going to a bluetooth setup with my next helmet.

But, to be clear, David. Is it just the chain drive or does the belt fall into that category as well?

Just the Chain Drive. Having to lube the chain every evening while on the trip was a PIA. Especially without a center stand. By the time I had ridden 7000 miles the chain was stretched and it looks like I may have lost some O rings. The bike now has 15,400 miles on it.

No issues with the Belt except that you have to watch for gravel roads when you have a belt drive.

The advantages of a chain or belt over shaft would be for those who might want to change the final gear ratio of their bike for more get up and go, or better fuel economy.

My very first bike when I was 19 had a drive shaft. 1977 Yamaha XS750. Didn't know how good I had it. My first chain drive bike wasn't until I was 30.

I will probably always have a bike with a chain drive, but don't think it will be a bike for distance riding.
2010 Voyager 1700
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

Voyager wrote:

I must be getting old or spoiled or both, but I am in agreement with you. A couple years ago I said I was done with carbs, now after a 7000 mile ride on the versys I am done with chains. After being spoiled with truly functional cruise on the new Voyager I want it on all my bikes. Now I am even spoiled by the GPS and it's ability to get me home no matter where I am. Not to mention helping me find my favorite restaurant when I am out and about.
Well, I don't really consider myself "old", but at nearly 53 I am certainly no spring chicken. I find that after about 30 minutes of roughly constant throttle, my wrist begins to ache. This is mainly an issue on the interstates, and is less so in the twisties when the throttle is more active, but even then it is nice to have the cruise for the occasional stretch where I can use it and give my right wrist even a minute or two of rest. Given how inexpensive cruise is now (virtually every car in the world comes with cruise standard now so the economies of scale are huge), there is just no reason to not offer it on bikes that cost $15K and up.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Voyager wrote:
Well, I don't really consider myself "old", but at nearly 53 I am certainly no spring chicken. I find that after about 30 minutes of roughly constant throttle, my wrist begins to ache. This is mainly an issue on the interstates, and is less so in the twisties when the throttle is more active, but even then it is nice to have the cruise for the occasional stretch where I can use it and give my right wrist even a minute or two of rest. Given how inexpensive cruise is now (virtually every car in the world comes with cruise standard now so the economies of scale are huge), there is just no reason to not offer it on bikes that cost $15K and up.

I wish you would tell that to the rental car companies at the airports. I always have to upgrade to intermediate because none of the economy rental cars have cruise control! :-D
2010 Voyager 1700
tinsailor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 99 kawaski concours

Post by tinsailor »

I own both. Have a 99 C-10 and am a member of the COG and AVA. To be lucky enough to have a classic Concours and a Voyager XII too is the best of both worlds. This is kinda like the apple and orange thing. They are both fine motorbikes and each do they're things very well. Touring or commuting by myself, I will probably ride the Connie, Two up or just going a long way, Probably be the XII. Also depends on my mood and another great thing is I can ride one while the other is up on the stand while I do maintenance. They are both affordable and relativly easy to work on If you like to turn wrenches. They have several common parts and are alot a like.
Voyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Voyager »

Voyager wrote:

I wish you would tell that to the rental car companies at the airports. I always have to upgrade to intermediate because none of the economy rental cars have cruise control! :-D
Yes, I wasn't referring to fleet vehicles. They are a different animal. You will see very few cars on retail dealers' lots that lack cruise control. I think the cost now for the OEMs is less than $100 to add cruise. That is insignificant on a $15,000 motorcycle in my opinion.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I noticed today that the local police force have finally turned in those slow Harleys for the New Concours 1400. Sharp looking in police mode. I pitty the fool that thinks he can out run one! :gig:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Mr Jensee wrote:I noticed today that the local police force have finally turned in those slow Harleys for the New Concours 1400. Sharp looking in police mode. I pitty the fool that thinks he can out run one! :gig:

That is also great news for us Concours owners. The police will run up the miles faster than most so they will provide great feedback to Kawasaki for future improvments.

Extra parts for the Concours have to be designed to withstand 150 MPH speeds because the bike is designed to cruise at that speed. My speedo goes to 200 so it feels really strange when I am riding on a 35 MPH road and look down at the speedo and the needle is barely off zero.
2010 Voyager 1700

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”