Front fork handling

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Front fork handling

Post by veeger »

I realize this is a cruiser-styled touring bike but would like to know if/how the front end handling can be improved. The front end wallows in higher speed (40+mph) sweepers with road irregularities. I'm 150#; rear shock is set up with 30# and damping on 4. Rear end feels planted and handles most road conditions well. Would a fork brace; higher weight oil; or different springs help stabilize the front end somewhat? BTW, I'm not deploying the front brake during cornering. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Re: Front fork handling

Post by biggersm »

We're more experienced with the XII so we can't help too much with the set up for the 1700 but I guess you could experiment with the fork brace. I would make certain the the fork is not under any load when you put the fork brace on (do you have a bike lift?).

If it was an XII I could talk you through how to tighten the steering stem lock nut. Hopefully someone will help but the rake on a cruiser should allow hands free riding (not that I or Kawasaki recommends it, just saying it should be that stable).

I would recommend using the front brakes in most situations except low traction situations (sand, wet oil, etc.) or extremely tight slow parking lot turns (like during the MSF course). A couple bikes ago we used to have a layout similar to the 1700 (it was a Suzuki Intruder 1500). I used to use front brake only on it and on our XII about 90% of the time. Front brakes are the real secret to stopping power.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
1st one
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Post by 1st one »

I have damping set on 3 and have 22lbs in shocks air pressure in rear tire 43lbs and front 29-30 lbs I weight 220 lbs and my 2009 voyager handles perfect, with less air in the front we have a tendency too wobble and more air in the front and it starts to take bumps hard
If your back tire lasts more than a season,
Then your not riding enough

2009 Voyager
1st One
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

If you are only 150 lbs and do not carry gear the recommended rear shock pressure for you is 0 PSI. So, by adding the extra air you are raising the rear of the bike which is changing the geometry slightly. The only time my Voyager 1700 felt bad was a high speed merge onto a highway where there was a bad transition to the new pavement.

What air pressure are you running in your tires?

If you want to improve the front end I would recommend Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators. Race Tech and Traxxion are well known for their suspension components.

If you really want to change the handling of the bike Traxxion makes a full Cartridge conversion kit for the Voyager.
2010 Voyager 1700

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”