trailer waging

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

trailer waging

Post by ekap1200 »

I am getting the trailer wagging , begining at 80 mph. Do I have too much weight or not enough weight on the tounge ? ekap
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: trailer waging

Post by debron »

Generically speaking, not enough weight on tongue in relation to weight behind the axle. It's an easy fix, though, just don't ride over 80! :gig:
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
Been liked: 0

Post by Turbo4x4 »

ekap1200 wrote:I am getting the trailer wagging , begining at 80 mph. Do I have too much weight or not enough weight on the tounge ? ekap
ekap,

Just quit towing on the dragon and that problem will most likely solve itself :-)
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 0

Post by kjsett »

Weight on the tongue, coupled with distribution and geometry of the trailer length, center of gravity and width of wheelbase is what matters. of course, i just throw it on and hope for the best :LAngel .
Actually, I now have over 4k on my 03 XII pulling a 4x5 trailer and have experienced the wag over 70 usually. The worst time is downhill cornering while other than accelerating (usually not doing that downhill, in corners at over 70 :bat: ).
I finally bought a fish-scale at "Big 5" sporting goods for less than $10 and try to keep it (as recommended here) between 30 and 50lbs. best between 40 and 45, but i usually can't be that precise. We just did a prep camping trip last weekend of 1 night in tent (as we will be at Kanab, wish I had gone with a cabin - too late) and I was loaded way to much, but still had only an occasional waggle (3 nights in friends cabin so carried more than usually needed). I do plan to lengthen the hitch to enable an installation of a cooler tray (50qt size) which should improve even more. I will say, the tires are only 8" so I don't go over 75 (I cruise about 72 when on 75 freeways, only exceed 80 if passing and only briefly). I even installed a spare in front of the axle (underneath) and I think it helps with weight distribution.
I will be heading up to Colorado Springs, but as I will be there over a week before heading to Kanab (Ministry and Leadership Conference at Andrew Wommack Ministries), my wife has me just about talked into driving up, then back in her car, then bike 6 hrs to Kanab. Saves on the backside (1850 miles round trip otherwise) and trying to do Business clothing and laptops, and camping is a bit much for this trailer. Of course, as some may know, I could just pull the wheelbarrow behind the trailer as my CDL does allow for triples. :-O
I suggested, leave the trailer at home, bring everything in her car, and I will just enjoy the bike across Colorado and Utah riding into Kanab (about $100 more in fuel ish). Works for me, no trailer to slow me down. I'll just get there when I get there (whooo hoooo).
I expect still to make another trip to the North West this August, but she is questioning the length of time gone.
We will see,
have fun, Ken

PS. just see my last trip post to see the trailer and set up with wheelbarrow.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Best answer, drive slower. :bat:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Gene, How's it going with your trailer? Another option is to lengthen the tongue. A friend of mine used to drive a gravel truck. I noticed all of their trailers had hydraulically adjustable tongue lengths and asked him why. He said they could drive faster on the road with the longer tongues, then "suck them up" to be shorter in town. I don't know the physics of this but apparently it works.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Well All, after talking with a few who have firsthand knowledge of this, simply putting more weight forward solved the problem. thanks See ya'll in Utah. Gene Kap
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”