West Coast Vacation

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

West Coast Vacation

Post by kjsett »

Well, at least some of the West Coast. Shelley, our son Joshua, and I will head out tomorrow. We should be in Fresno for the night, breakfast, then head out splitting up just north of there while he goes on to Yosemite and we to Hollister, CA.
Pictures when I get a chance. :thk:
After Hollister and the Corbin factory, we will work our way up the coast hoping we won't be sleeping along side the road as we don't have reservations anywhere.
By this weekend we will head inland (Florence or Lincoln City, OR) and on to my parents in Vancouver, WA.
Right now the plan is to leave there around the 3rd and go to see my brother in Lewiston, ID then work our way down thru Idaho and Nevada (on the east side this time going thru Wells, NV) to Las Vegas. Overnight there and then early morning ride on back to Phoenix. :thmup:
We shall see what actually happens. :hpdc:
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Re: West Coast Vacation

Post by kjsett »

Starting out on our adventure. Joshua on his 2000 Yamaha VStar something or other; Shelley on her 97 Vulcan 800; and myself pulling our trailer on my '03 XII.

Joshua on I10 heading west. He is on his way to Yosemite (west edge) to some Music festival. He had us buy this trailer that a guy in California built. It has an actual whiskey barrel made into a cargo storage unit.

View My Video
Passing my son on I10 first day out.

Rode across the Golden Gate Bridge and stopped on the north end. That's San Francisco behind us. On to Santa Rosa for the night.

The bikes posing for a sun set shot of the Pacific ocean on the Northern California coast north of Eureka, CA. With the wind and cold air we never took off our gear. We moved on and stayed the night in Brookings, OR. They were having an annual parade (Memorial Day weekend) and we got stuck for about 20 minutes before we were able to get on our way (when a cop waves you off the road, you get off).

Returning home. Stopping as the sun was going down to add more clothing. Changing was a regular event as temps on the trip ranged from low 50's to over 102F.
Yes we made it home safe. Only casualty was Shelley's speedometer stopped working the first day out. She just followed me. Turns out the coupler in the rear axle bent or something (just ordered the parts. I already had acquired a new cable and replaced it anyway (issue where it went into the hub), but that wasn't the problem.

Heading out for Colorado for 10 days (work related) and will staying with Shelley's sister. We will see our Grandsons in NM on the way back. Hope the parts come in so I can repair her bike or we will have to take the cage (at least it has AC). :hot:
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Ken, thanks for the photos! Glad we were able to get together in Albany.
kjsett wrote:Joshua on his 2000 Yamaha VStar something or other...
That's a Yamaha "Royal Star Venture." 1300 cc V-4. Very nice road bikes but they need a $1,000 valve adjustment every 26,000 miles! :!!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

debron wrote:Ken, thanks for the photos! Glad we were able to get together in Albany.
kjsett wrote:Joshua on his 2000 Yamaha VStar something or other...
That's a Yamaha "Royal Star Venture." 1300 cc V-4. Very nice road bikes but they need a $1,000 valve adjustment every 26,000 miles! :!!
I will send that info along to him. Thanks Ron and it was great seeing you again. :thmup:
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Thanks for the Pictures, sorry I was gone to Colorado when you came by Half Moon Bay. Hope to see you at the AVA Western Regional Rally.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
AVA Board Member
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

HMB Don wrote:Thanks for the Pictures, sorry I was gone to Colorado when you came by Half Moon Bay. Hope to see you at the AVA Western Regional Rally.

Don Medina
President
NorCal Voyagers Club
AVA Board Member
Thanks Don.
We are having to move our school in August, so slightly iffy on my going. I think I will see about reserving a room just in case (can cancel if I need to). I should know by next week if our moving will occur ahead of time enough for my going. Next week going to Colorado also for business, but taking the bikes (if Shelley's is fixed in time). Planning on: Phoenix, to Flagstaff, to Cortez, to Durango, to Buena Vista, then over to Colorado Springs. Have to be back in Phoenix by the 7th so Logan is out this year (was still hoping).
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

Where were the first two pictures (the desert looking pictures) taken. Kind of reminds me of home (Twentynine Palms).

BTW - I love the look of the trailer behind the Yamaha Venture.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

biggersm wrote:Where were the first two pictures (the desert looking pictures) taken. Kind of reminds me of home (Twentynine Palms).

BTW - I love the look of the trailer behind the Yamaha Venture.
My son found the trailer on Craigslist in a town north of Prescott, AZ (Pauline). The guy's story was that his father-in-law built it in California and he sort of inherited it. My son plans of keeping it functional, while dressing it up for parades and such (that includes a removable whiskey dispenser tap on the side).

As to location, the three of us were outside our home in North Phoenix the morning we left. The Joshua passed me on I10 about an hour or so west of Phoenix on his Yamaha.

A couple more pictures:
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

The Northern part of New Mexico has some great roads. If you have a chance there is a circle of roads known as the Enchanted Loop that is very scenic. Also on you way from Santa Fe down to Albuquerque consider the Turquoise Trail (east side of the Sandia Mountains) and you can see where the film Wild Hogs was (yes there is actually a New Madrid). It is more fun than Super slabbing I-25. Riding up to Sandia peak will also bring you up just past 10,000 feet and it give you an awesome view of all of Albuquerque.

I really miss those roads this time of year.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”