dARKSIDE

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: dARKSIDE

Post by Nails »

Thanks for the kind words. I tried to make it happen and almost did. Here's my story: I plan to ride out to DC this summer. It's the last week of my spousal-equivalent's detail in DC (she goes out one week/month -- is there now, actually). It's the first chance my daughter can go with (out of school). So, we really have to do a family gig at DC. Deanna and Priya will fly out. I'll leave a few days earlier and ride.

But it's the exact same week as the rally. I mean, I'll ride more than 1500 miles, just to pass less than 100 miles from y'all. Maybe I can sneak away for a day, but I doubt it. (Deanna will be working, and I'm not sure she's ready to turn the kid loose in the big city.)

They're flying back, but I have to beat feet to Ohio for an annual barbecue with about 100 of my hillbilly kinfolk.

Sometimes life is just like that. Sheesh.
--
Nails
mickier
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: dARKSIDE (thread revived)

Post by mickier »

Reviving this thread ---

I'm going through this right now - just got in my Nexen tire and got in on the rim (gojo). It seats about 80% around the rim with just 20psi but just like you all, no final joy yet... gojo "feels" like better lube than wd40 to me, I'll try vaseline next I guess.

What I've tried so far is 60 PSI overnight, deflate and try again twice. Today I deflated it again, lubricated it all very well, wrapped it in a blanket (wore my riding suit and full face helmet) and inflated to 70 PSI and then placed it in the sun. HOPE that does the trick. Very cautious after reading all your comments/responses, but eager to experience the ~30k expected life from this baby.
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

Examine your nexen sidewalls closely. Mine had a slight bulge on both sidewalls. I was told it was an overlap area made during the manufacture process. The tire shop that seated mine ran it up to 90 psi to seat it. The bulge wasn't noticeable prior to mounting. I didn't think to inspect it first. I ran that tire for 5 years, but was always nervous due to the thin sidewall construction. It was the best rain tire I've ever experienced on 2 wheels. Good luck & report back!
Barry
87 Voyager XII
mickier
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by mickier »

Barry, thanks for the positive response - YOU are the one who influenced my decision - just reading your posts here inspired me to give it a go...

Got it to mount last night - :woohoo: Careful attention to safety and honestly - a LOT of prayer!

Cleaned the tire and bead again and tried KY Jelly especially on the inner lip which seems to be what's holding up the bead - (no vaseline on hand). Wrapped up the tire in a blanket (outside my garage) and hooked up a 12v (carry in your trunk type) compressor - slowly went up 5psi at a time - keeping my distance the whole time... Finally seated one side at 115 and the other before 120. Immediately pulled the airhose and gave a prayer of thanksgiving to my Savior that it didn't blow up.

I took a good look and the tire looks very smooth - no bulge that I can see on either side...

Tonight - gotta clean it up and balance then put it all back together!
These users liked mickier's post:
cranky (Thu May 27, 2021 7:08 pm) • SgtSlag (Fri May 28, 2021 2:43 pm) • Lucasind (Fri May 28, 2021 11:16 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
mickier
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by mickier »

What's the scoop on Michelin commander ii - (front tire) will that be as tough as the nexen was? Mine comes next week - then I'll be all done! (till the next thing)

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”