Grand Canyon Adventure

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bruce in OK
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '01 VXII
'06 Vespa GTS 250
'02 Honda Elite 80
'99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Grand Canyon Adventure

Post by Bruce in OK »

The wife and I recently celebrated twenty years of wedded bliss. To complete the celebration, we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon this summer. We've got a mountain of possibilities to work through as far as tours and such. One of the possibilities is to fly into Phoenix or Las Vegas and rent either a motorcycle, jeep, or convertible of some sort. I'm hoping to spend several days, going to the rim and drive some through Utah as well.

I'd like to hear from some of you that have made the trip. What worked well for you? What about floating the river? Were plane/helicopter rides worth the cost? How hard was it to find a motel somewhat close?
Bruce in OK
'01 VXII; '99 Honda CB 250 Nighthawk
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Grand Canyon Adventure

Post by debron »

I don't know about getting there from Oklahoma, but the site of the 2012 AVA Rally in Kanab, Utah was a great base for exploring the region. From there you have easy access to the NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, and the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument plus Lake Powell.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Terros
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2004 VTX1300R
Been liked: 0

Post by Terros »

I believe there are now motels close to the rim, you might get on line and check. Flagstaff is also close, but I would suggest you make reservations NOW!!!
I have only been there by bike, having been to both North and South rim. Plan on being at the south rim at sunrise.
Also there is a huge hole in the ground to see not far away. I think it is called Baringer Crater and thousands of years ago a meteor hit the ground and left a hole. Check it out on line.
Bob
PS There is also Sedona, kind of a hippy dippy place, but beautiful canyons, just south of Flagstaff.
Live dying or Die living
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello Bruce, Congrat's on the 20 years of marriage. Several day's is not near enough time to see all there is to see out there. What we did is, I drove the bike out to Page AZ and the wife flew in to their little airport. We stayed there and seen the sights, enjoying Lake Powell and taking a tour boat ride of 100 miles to see Rainbow Bridge. It was great! from there we went to Kanab for the rally. Page had allot more to offer for night life and eateries while Kanab was a much smaller and quiet town. Lake Powell to Lake Mead is a bit more than two hundred mile's and allot to see in-between . Didn't see a bad road, Then when Marie flew back out of Page, I did some sightseeing on my own before making the ride back here to the northeast. You will enjoy the trip no matter what you drive or where you stay. Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Terros
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2004 VTX1300R

Post by Terros »

There is also a steam train ride from Williams, Az to the Grand Canyon.
Bob :thmup:
Live dying or Die living
davidl
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by davidl »

Congrats on your anniversary. Make sure you see the North rim of Grand Canyon. One place we missed was Lake Powell. ekap did the tour there and said it was great. Get to see alot of rainbow bridges. Don't go to Four Corners. Not a bad place just there are a lot better places to spend your time. Just saying.. Make sure you see all the places mentioned in a prior post. Again congrats.....
joerod777
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager XII

Post by joerod777 »

I rode around the Canyon in 2011 and it was a great ride. As stated, Kenab, UT is a good base camp. There are also some nice cabins on the North Rim....really close! I liked the North Rim better than the South as it's not as commercialized. While up north I would suggest you ride up to Zion National Park...absolutely beautiful. The North Rim is higher altitude and hence cooler and greener than the south rim. Watch your gas tank...I encountered a strong wind/sand storm that reduced my mileage from 42mpg to about 25mpg and had a big scare that I might run out before the next gas station. I suggest you top off at every opportunity when you ride from the North to South rim. This trip was one of the highlights of my great rides...and I have ridden the Alps in Austria and Italy.
JoeRod

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”