Replacing handlebar grips

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

donwilson
Current bike(s): 2013 Kawasaki Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Replacing handlebar grips

Post by donwilson »

Is there a how to video on changing from OEM grips to kuryakyn grips?
Explorer
Terros
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2004 VTX1300R

Re: Replacing handlebar grips

Post by Terros »

Hi, just go to google and type in how to change handlebar grips. I can find just about anything there and I'm sure you will find it there
Bob :thmup:
Live dying or Die living
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

Haven't found a video especially for the grip install to a Voyager (they can be different) but look in the AVA tech center under the Voyager XII section/front end then to the Kuryakyn Grip Install. Some cut the end of the bar off for the one grip to fit, but this one used a spacer. You can also click the link here:

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/Documents/K ... nstall.pdf
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

I recently did just that! I installed the Kuryakyn ISO grips on my Voyager. The right one is a simple replace. You will have to loosen up the push/pull throttle cables to have enough slack to remove the old grip and install the new one. Be sure to look for all the screws on the right control box. I nearly missed one and almost broke the housing. On the left grip, you will have to use something like a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to carefully slice through the chromed plastic. The black foam can be cut with a sharp knife or razor. Test fit the left grip. I left the "stump" from the original grip which sticks out the end of the bar. Use Gorilla Super Glue Gel. It is not as brittle as other superglues and will hold the grip ... uh .. like a gorilla. Once you start to slide the left grip on, DO NOT STOP! ! If you hesitate or pause, you may be stuck with a half installed grip. Push it on in one smooth steady quick stroke. Make sure it matches the right grip as far as its rotational position is concerned. You want it to match while at rest. I did not use the black spacer that came with the grip because the "stump" I left in place positioned the grip perfectly. Good Luck. :thmup:
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

Before purchasing the Kuryakyn grips check out the Avon Grips , I have found these to be of better quality and better comfort and last longer, plus they are priced about 45 bucks cheaper and are made in the USA. I installed a set on the Voyager 1700 and they worked exceptionally well. Just a thought.

Kevin Braddy
in Southern Illinois
ninjarob
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2010 Vulcan 1700 Voyager
1989 KDX 200

Post by ninjarob »

I too went with the Avon grips. Had the Kuryakyn's on my VN750 and just found them a little large for me. What I like too about the Avon's is the rubber areas have a diamond pattern on them making them grip your hand nicely. The Kury's were just smooth rubber.

Install was as said, pretty easy on the throttle side although I boogered up a screw head on the throttle grip housing and had to dremel it to get it off. They ruin easy so make sure you are really down on them before turning. Left side was not too bad, cut off the old grip and used the glue that came with the Avon grips. Went right on and hasn't budged since. I do get many compliments on the Avon's and no longer have any sore hand issues.
Rob Snyder
Byram Township, NJ
2010 1700 Voyager
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Also love the price savings and the quality difference (alot better than the Kuryakyn's ) that the Avon grips have. I have had the Iso's on other bikes and after discovering the Avon grips ,, I won't go back. Another bonus is that they are AMerican Made and not Chinese made. The install took about 45 minutes for total install on the bike.

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC
in Southern Illinois
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

Um ... I don't know so please don't slam me. What is the quality issue with the Kuryakyn grips? I didn't see anything wrong with them. They installed fine without any problems and they looked OK to me. I don't have any large bike parts stores around here so I was not able to "shop" around to put my hands on them to see what the differences might be. Just askin'.
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
Terros
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2004 VTX1300R

Post by Terros »

I have uses the Kury grips on the last 4 or 5 bikes of ours and have never had an issue with them. I have kind of big hands so like the grip for their size. I may go to something softer on my next bike, but maybe not. I have always liked the look also.
Find a grip you like and stay with it until something else comes along. :thmup:

Bob
Live dying or Die living
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I put the Oxford Heaterz heated grips on my Voyager. They are larger diameter than the stock grips and very nice on a 30 degree morning. Pretty nice on a 50 degree morning as well when you don't want to have to put on thicker gloves.
2010 Voyager 1700
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Kuryakyns are nice , the quality of the Avon's is top notch is what I meant. Kuryakyns also tend to be a bit pricey. I have had them on many bikes and have no complaints either. Once i discovered the Avon grips I was sold. The grip install is similiar to that of a Harley Davidson grip install so if you youtube search for a HD grip install video it should show some similiarities in the two bikes. I found that to be the case when I installed them on my 2009 Vulcan voyager. If you live close , bring bike over and I will install them for you.

KB
IPVMC
tantasquit
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan Voyager

Post by tantasquit »

as an alternative, instead of removing the old grips, you could add a pair of leather covers, such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Light-Br ... 1096195626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I provided circumference and length, and a set was made to my request, (Indian tan, basket weave, padded). Quality is top notch.

They lace up like a pair of shoes and a simple knot at the end will hold them in place, although I added crampbusters to mine.
lvfcfirefighter
Current bike(s): 2013 voyager

Post by lvfcfirefighter »

Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting.

tantasquit wrote:as an alternative, instead of removing the old grips, you could add a pair of leather covers, such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Light-Br ... 1096195626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I provided circumference and length, and a set was made to my request, (Indian tan, basket weave, padded). Quality is top notch.

They lace up like a pair of shoes and a simple knot at the end will hold them in place, although I added crampbusters to mine.
tantasquit
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan Voyager

Post by tantasquit »

Hope this photo helps. I ordered extra padding under the leather which was supposed to help on long rides. Unless you have pretty large hands, I wouldn't recommend it. (I wear XXL size gloves).

The nice thing about the leather version is that you can custom order any design or color.

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”