To brake light of not!

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): None
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

To brake light of not!

Post by Jim Loiselle »

I found a used trailer for next years Rally. I panited the top Yellow and installed towchains. My question: After hooking up trailer wiring I have running lights and turn signals, but no brake lights. Should I hookup brake lights or just depend on my trunk brake lights?
:hmm: Jim
Ditto
Streetster
Streetster

Re: To brake light of not!

Post by Ditto »

Hi Jim. Most all states require you to have brake lights on your trailer so I would go ahead and put them on to avoid any unwanted driving awards. :wnk2: Besides, the more lights you have the better the chance of someone seeing you. Congrats on finding a trailer. I've been pulling one for years now. It sure does make for easy packing. :thmup:
Gary (Ditto) GA
1993 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII (Parts bike)
Doug in South Dakota

Post by Doug in South Dakota »

Looks as tho your trailer is 4 wire....The bike is 5 wire.....You need adapter to get em to work right
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

You can purchase a 5 wire to 4 wire Hoppy adapter at your local WalMart for about $13.00. Very easy to install.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Jim Loiselle »

Thanks to everyone! I am on it! Hope to get it corrected by this weekend.
Jim :-O
Doug in South Dakota

Post by Doug in South Dakota »

Being used I would check the bearings
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

You could also just add lights, change the connector, and that way you wouldn't have to run a converter.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about my trailer situation.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
WhiskeyDoc

Post by WhiskeyDoc »

Jim, Not trying to be a "know it all", but I hope you don't pull that trailer with the safety chains hanging down like that.

Some time back we had a long thread about trailer saftey chains and how they are to be used. The rule is that the chains need to be twisted and crossed so they create a "basket" under the tongue of the trailer. This will insure that if the ball or the hitch comes loose the tongue can't hit the pavement before you get the bike and trailer stopped.
Bill52

Post by Bill52 »

How should the chains go? Not sure myself.

WhiskeyDoc wrote:Jim, Not trying to be a "know it all", but I hope you don't pull that trailer with the safety chains hanging down like that.

Some time back we had a long thread about trailer saftey chains and how they are to be used. The rule is that the chains need to be twisted and crossed so they create a "basket" under the tongue of the trailer. This will insure that if the ball or the hitch comes loose the tongue can't hit the pavement before you get the bike and trailer stopped.
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

The chains should be crossed under the trailer tongue. They should have just enough slack (each) so you can manuver tight left/right turns with out trying to stretch the chains At no time should they drag (won't last long that way).

If the ball and hitch become separated, the crossed chains should cradle the tongue and keep it from dragging on the pavement. This way you will be able to maintain control and safely pull over. The primary legal reason you are required to have chains, is so you keep it out of someone elses windshield, if it becomes separated from your bike.

I have had the pleasure of having my camper trailer coming off the hitch ball. I was able to pull over safely with the chains. Mine did drag a bit, though, so lesson learned.......Don't pick the tongue up right away........ (Damn that was hot.....) Oh! yeah! The reason it came loose...... Operator error! Rode a 100 miles with out securing the hitch properly, before a big pothole bounced it off.

Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

The trailer came off the ball in our accident, but the chains kept the trailer from going where it wasn't supposed too. Also, probably kept the trailer from yanking the wires out of the connectors too. One less thing to fix in order to be mobile again.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I actually saw this happen with my own eyes when a tar kettle trailer (heater for roofing tar) became uncoupled from the tow truck. When the tongue dropped to the road surface it became an Olympic pole vaulter an launched over itself toward the truck. Having the chains crossed under the tongue prevents this from happening as well as other reasons mentioned above.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Bet that was a mess.... hope there DOT got some sand on it before it set up, that stuff gets nasty slick in the rain :tho:

Jim Good looking trailer :clap: ,
and yes I would go for the added lights, not that hard to hook up. Even though you have the 86 with the full light across the trunk, you can never have enough lights to wake up those couple of chuckleheads that are out there I'm adding a LED brake light strip to the top of our Piggy... (can't see the trunk light too well on account of the ht..)

As for the Chains, Just what Bill O said :clap: be sure to have the proper length, not draging and enough to turn with... don't wind/twist the extra chain out here in Calif. the CHP does take notice of safety chains that are wound / kinked up to take slack out.
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

MTN99 wrote:Bet that was a mess.... hope there DOT got some sand on it before it set up, that stuff gets nasty slick in the rain ...
Tony, at the time it was a bit frightful to see but in hind sight funny as hell. The driver was very lucky in that the kettle was cooled down enough that nothing spilled and it flipped to the right over the berm and into a parking lot. Watching those guys flip it back on to it's wheels was some what amusing too!
No police involved as they got it righted and to the most part reconnected to the hitch (a bit twisted but still on two wheels).
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Jim Loiselle »

The job is done and everything is working! Thanks to everyone for the help. Jim :thewave:
Jim Loiselle
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Jim Loiselle »

This is what it looks like from behind! Jim :oh:
raddmarl

Post by raddmarl »

Jim did you istall the hitch yourself or did you have someone do it for you? If you did it yourself was it hard to do and where did you obtain the hardware?
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

raddmarl wrote:Jim did you istall the hitch yourself or did you have someone do it for you? If you did it yourself was it hard to do and where did you obtain the hardware?
Bouncer Bob,
You can obtain a trailer hitch from http://www.marvellas.com. I have a Markland trailer hitch and it took me approximately 1 hr to install. The installation is not difficult. I used a Hoppy converter to convert the 5 wire Voyager lights to a 4 wire system for the trailer. The Hoppy converter can be purchased at WalMart for approximately $13.00.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
raddmarl

Post by raddmarl »

Thanks! Next question. having no real wiring experience. where do you splice into the voyagers wiring to set up the plug in the first place?
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

raddmarl wrote:Thanks! Next question. having no real wiring experience. where do you splice into the voyagers wiring to set up the plug in the first place?

It has been a while for me, but I am sure I did all of my soldering underneath the pillion seat/trunk area. But I had my bike torn down a lot because I was repainting and many other things at the same time.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”