Oregon Bound from the Rally

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Oregon Bound from the Rally

Post by debron »

It's been a great rally but it's time to head for home. I'm looking forward to being home but also looking forward to the trip home! It'll be 9 more days on the road. We're taking a northern route.

When ride leader Don sets a departure time we usually leave within 10 minutes of that time. Today it was 2 hours and 10 minutes! Someone partied too hard last night! (Hint: it wasn't me!) Designated time to leave was 9:00 am and we finally left about 11:10! Here we are, ready for departure (at last):

Fortunately today was a "short" day, only about 225 miles. We rode up the famous Blue Ridge Parkway starting a few miles south of Asheville then north about 165 miles where we got off and headed for today's destination Wytheville, Virginia. The Blue Ridge Parkway deserves all of the accolades it's been given. When you come to the many view points the ground drops off steeply (very steeply) from the side of the road (sometimes both sides) into very deep valleys miles across. The speed limit on the Parkway is 45 which is just fine because it was such a pleasure to leisurely ride this beautiful road. There was not a single straight stretch longer than 100 yards anywhere and the curves (it was curve after curve after curve after...) were great sweepers at 40-45, not the tight 5-20 mph hairpin curves of the Dragon.

Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Re: Oregon Bound from the Rally

Post by debron »

Woke up this morning to very dense fog. After breakfast we headed down the road one or two miles to the Starbucks and instantly came out into the sunshine! After coffee we rode up into West Virginia, the world of toll roads! We had to pay $2 three times in one 40 mile stretch. But W. Virginia did have the cheapest gas of the trip so far, $3.219 for regular.

West Virginia also has some very interesting tunnels. Twice we were riding right for a ridge of hills in front of us and it looked like we were going to ride right into a building. Most elaborate tunnel entrances I've ever seen!

I would describe western Virginia as a land of low mountains (4000'-5000') and West Virginia as a land of high hills. But what a surprise crossing the Ohio River from W. Virginia into Ohio! It looked like someone took the hills of W. Virginia and just flattened them! Not flat as a pancake, but very low rolling hills. One side of the river had nice high hills, the other side was comparatively flat! Odd. . . So far on this entire trip Ohio is my least favorite place.

I hadn't checked out our route beforehand, just made all my motel reservations based on where we would be, letting the route be a surprise. I was surprised today when we rode through Logan, Ohio, the place of last year's rally! I recognized the location of the rally headquarters as we rode by. As we rode from Logan towards Columbus we passed what seemed like hundreds of motorcycles headed in the opposite direction. I thought everyone just wanted to get out of town for the weekend. Turns out there was some kind of poker run going on.

In Columbus, OH, we stopped to visit the American Motorcycle Association Museum. I saw it last year when I was t the rally but it was fun to see it again.

Trisha eying a Harley!

Some good looking Indians from the late '40s and mid '50s:

MPG report: After riding the Blue Ridge Parkway at 40-45 when I filled up this morning mileage was 58.8 mpg for yesterday's 225 miles! Today Don wasn't paying attention and we went another 228 miles on one tank when Trisha was running out of gas. He slowed the pace (on the interstate!) to 50 (to conserve fuel) until we could find a station. It was a long way! When we filled up, Trisha had 0.2 gallons left! I got 55+ on that tank!

The weather today was very good, warm, humid, sunny. It's changing now. Rain is expected here tonight with some storms running through. I'm a little concerned because we are riding the ferry across Lake Michigan the day after tomorrow (Monday) and I would rather it was calm weather as I tend to get seasick! We'll see. . . . . . !
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Expected rain last night did not materialize. Woke up this morning and it was very dry, warm, but very muggy and overcast. Gassed up and started riding north. We have been very lucky, weather-wise. It sprinkled a few drops today and the wet, dirty roads made a mess of our windshields but otherwise we didn't get wet or need to put on rain gear.

Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would be visiting Detroit, Michigan, but there we were!

While I never would have chosen to come here, I'm glad we did. It was rather interesting. Yahoo periodically posts articles such as "The 10 worst places to live in the US," or "The 10 Most Economically Depressed Areas in the US," or some such. Detroit is always near the top of the lists if not at the top of the worst whatever. These articles were not overstated. We got lost several times (long story) and ended up riding around various parts of the inner city. Building after building, commercial and residential were boarded up, falling down, over grown, or bombed out! We saw whole blocks of houses boarded up and overgrown. We saw houses overgrown and falling down but right next door was another house in immaculate condition! You can't give houses away here!

By the way, the streets in Detroit are in the worst state of repair of any I've ever seen. Poor Joel was being literally bounced off his seat! Despite the economic decline, Detroit is in the process of renewing the downtown area. We wanted the usual Starbucks and I checked out my Starbucks app on my android phone but came up with "no stores nearby." Oh well. We went around two corners and there right in front of us was a Starbucks in the middle of downtown! What wasn't there were parking spaces, empty ones, that is. We made wider and wider circles "around the block" until we did finally find some parking about three blocks away. While walking to Starbucks we decided, for whatever reason, to skip Starbucks and try a "local" coffee shop as there was one across the street. We ended up at the "Roasting Plant" that turned out to be an even more sophisticated and upscale coffee house than even Starbucks, if you can believe that! Prices were about 50% higher and every cup of coffee was individually fresh brewed. And they had this wild space age equipment in the middle where coffee beans, roasted and unroasted, came flying in from somewhere through pneumatic tubes and distributed into various containers. The containers in the photo are unroasted beans (for $ale) and on the opposite side are the roasted beans of various flavors. Bean prices were in the $25-$35/pound range!

One of our reasons for visiting Detroit was to tour the Ford plant. Oops! it's Sunday, closed, sorry! Another reason was to visit the Shinola Detroit store as Don has plans to buy one of their $$$ watche$ one day. They also have $3,000 bicycles and fancy (quality) leather goods for things like your iPad or iPhone and the like. For $48 you can buy a really nice leather carrying case custom fitted to carry your $1.29 Bic pen!

After leaving Detroit we rode to Lansing, MI, or rather a suburb, Charlotte, to visit with John Ramsay and Mary Jane Hummel who we had last seen two days ago at the rally! Since we didn't visit Ford we had more time to spend with them. They invited us to spend the night at their home and had we known what our motel was like we definitely would have taken them up on the offer! Their place is definitely superior and the extra hour drive in the morning would have been worth it!

So tomorrow it's the ferry across Lake Michigan. Fortunately Don thought to call them today and when he did they had only five motorcycle spots left for the 10:15 ferry! So we quickly snatched four of them! So until tomorrow. . . .
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Nice day today. Sunny, warm, pleasant. Short 45 mile ride to the ferry in Muskegon, Michigan. However, we got into town and the highway was completely closed for construction and the highway department neglected to designate a detour route. We were left to our own devices to find our way around the construction through the residential streets to bypass the work zone. Not easy as the various streets didn't go through and we had to keep winding our way around. Was nobody in the highway department thinking?

In spite of that we arrived an hour early. At least we were the first motorcycles in line!

An absolutely beautiful and calm day with flat water. The ferry finally arrived (the first trip of the day is eastbound from Milwaukee, WI to Muskegon, MI) and we got the bikes loaded and tied down. Our departure time was scheduled for 10:15 am.

It was a smooth ride across but there is nothing to see as land quickly disappears. It's about 75 miles across and the ferry travels at 29 knots, about 32 mph. So we stayed inside and chatted and napped! The crossing is about 2 hours and 45 minutes, but with loading and unloading it's over three hours total. Here we are coming into Milwaukee, Wisconsin:

Crossing Lake Michigan we also crossed a time zone, from Eastern to Central. Picked up one of our lost hours! I love traveling west!

In Milwaukee we found our way to the Harley-Davidson museum. Cagers (cars) have to park on the street, but they have a special parking area right in front for motorcycles:

Inside we found Arnold, the Terminator, and his bike:

And we found this for an entry in the "Custom and Chrome" class in the bike show at the 2015 rally:

We also found these four troublemakers:

From the H-D museum it was still 175 miles to our motel. It was good we picked up that extra hour because after laying about on the ferry for three hours or so, and spending 2 or more hours at the H-D museum, and rode only 220 miles, it still ended up being yet another 12 hour day! The closer we got to our destination, the colder it got. The wind was biting cold from the north. Something coming down from the polar region. Skies were still partly sunny, partly cloudy and, OK, the temps were probably close to 70, but at 60 mph the cross-wind felt biting cold. We're in a place with a weird name, Prairie du Chien, on the Mississippi River across from Iowa, where we are going tomorrow.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I've seen those trouble makers before!
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

An item I forgot -- the night before we took the ferry across Lake Michigan, there were a few other bikes at our motel. A fellow who rode a BMW with a side car came over and we started talking. After telling him our story and that we were going to visit the HD museum, he pulled out a business card and said he used to be an "engineer" there, whatever that is. Then he asked me what problems we've had on the road (not "if" but "what.") I told him we had had no problems at all and he said "really, none at all?) I said, well, Joel did have an issue with his center stand on the Dragon. He said no, what real problems did we have. He asked at least four times and I assured him that we had indeed ridden coast-to-coast and up to Michigan without a single engine or mechanical problem. He was dumbfounded, couldn't believe it. But then, he does ride a BMW! These Voyagers take a lickin' and keep on ticken'! Oh, wait, that's Timex watches!

OK today, Tuesday, July 15, 2015. Heartland American. Cold this morning, low 50s, overcast. Stiff wind still blowing out of the north. A polar vortex or something, they said, that moved too far south. Put on extra layers and headed out. Turns out people in Iowa (and Prairie du Chien, WI) have no appreciation for good coffee. Not a Starbucks or coffee shop of any kind to be found all the way across Iowa!

Anyway, we crossed the Mississippi River into McGregor, Iowa then rode up to the top of Pikes Peak. Not the Pikes Peak in Colorado (at over 14,000') But Pikes Peak State Park. Iowans have a different frame of reference as to "high elevation." Pikes Peak is a little over 1100 feet elevation. The highest spot in Iowa is a little over 1600 feet! None the less, Pikes Peak has commanding views of the Mississippi River where the Wisconsin River joins it:

Coming back down from the peak we picked up US highway 18 and headed west across Iowa. The farther west we drove, the flatter it got. A sad note, we came upon a woman sitting in her car by the side of the road talking on her cell phone and crying. A dog (presumably hers??) was lying in the middle of the road having been hit by a car or something (no where to be seen.) Her second dog (??) appeared to have come out of the back seat (the door was open) and was sadly walking over to the dead dog. These things happen but heartbreaking none the less.

On a happier note, of sorts, the wind blowing out of the north was really cold so we stopped for gas early to put on more clothes. Then 30 miles farther down the road Don decided we had burned up all of our own fuel fighting the cold so we stopped for "second breakfast." As we were getting ready to leave the restaurant we noticed there were mural-sized posters of the local high school graduating classes from around 1947 to the early 1970's. There was an elderly couple (I shouldn't call them that) sitting nearby and Don asked them if they were in the photos. The wife said an enthusiastic yes and jumped out of her chair and came over to the photos.

She found her graduating class (1963) and then showed us her picture. She was a cutie! Then she found her husband's graduating class (1965) and proudly showed us his photo. Wait! I graduated in 1964 so if they are "elderly" then I must be. . . . Nope, I take it back, they were not elderly! Anyway it was really quite a treat talking to these people about the photos.

Our destination today, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is only about 330 miles from Prairie du Chien so we were looking for an earl arrival, around 4:00 pm, which would be a record for this trip. But. . . Trisha has dubbed Iowa "The Land of a Thousand Detours"! There is a lot of construction going on on Hwy 18. We had to wait several times at a number of one-lane road sections, and we had several detours that took us miles out of our way around the construction. We got to our motel about 5:00 pm which is still a record for a "short" day!

The weather forecast is for the possibility of a few showers west of Rapid City (tomorrow's destination) this evening, dissipating overnight, with a warming trend beginning tomorrow! :woohoo:
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

debron wrote:Turns out people in Iowa (and Prairie du Chien, WI) have no appreciation for good coffee. Not a Starbucks or coffee shop of any kind to be found all the way across Iowa!

Soooo, then how do they ride 1,500 miles in 24 hours without coffee?
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

...Good ol' "diner coffee"!!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager
Been liked: 0

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

Eagerly awaiting your report on your trip across my home state.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

Great story and pics of the trek home ron ! You guys passed by my exit on ur way north to detroit. Was wondering if you caught the ferry "S.S. BADGER" out of ludington MI.
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
sir old dirt
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): Honda Goldwing 2013
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sir old dirt »

Ron,
Fantastic discription of the travel adventure.
Sir Old Dirt
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

That's what keeps you going looking for a Starbucks. I only know of one and its 1500 miles away.
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by usmalenurse »

Hey Ron,
I'm enjoying your ride home a lot more than I did mine......Keep the pics and play by play coming!! :gig:
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

OK Jim in S. Dakota, here's your state! The good news is South Dakota has Starbucks!

The morning broke sunny and clear. I guess that polar vortex went back north or petered out or something. Warmer but still cold, well below "average" at about 55° this morning. Warmed up quickly and overall it was a perfect day for riding as the high was only about 75°. If you think Iowa is flat, wait until you get to South Dakota, as least east and central. However, it's really quite beautiful. We started out riding past corn field after corn field like in Iowa (Iowa grows corn, lots of it, and soybeans, though yesterday we saw mostly corn.) The corn in S. Dakota slowly gives way to hay and other grasses and grains as we move into the prairie grasslands of "Middle America." Lots of variation of greens, yellow, and light brown.

Our first stop, at Jim Moore's suggestion, was the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Turns out it's not really made of corn, but brick and mortar, and plywood. But it has lots of corn and corn products on the outside walls. There are murals all over the building made of corn. It was originally built in 1892 and is presently undergoing major remodeling. The new facades should last for the next 100 years, they claim. It's the only corn palace in the world, if you can believe that! ( :rolling: )

By the way, can you say “tourist trap”?? That’s really what it is. Inside they have all manner of touristy trinkets for sale to the surprisingly large crowd we found there.

We rode across the state on Interstate 90. Though it was a freeway, it was a rather pleasant ride. Any other road would have been just as straight so what the hey?!

Just before we reached Rapid City, SD, our destination, we stopped at Ellsworth Air Force Base at the air and space museum. We took their tour of the base and got to climb down into a Minuteman Missile silo tube. All of the Minuteman Missiles were destroyed per the treaty with Russia except this one they use for training (If they have no Minuteman Missiles, what are they training for??) It’s not armed, of course (or so they say!)

We also met then General Dwight D. Eisenhower’s personal B-25 he used to visit Europe during World War II.

And the incredible B1 bomber that replaced the B-52s. It’s huge! And loud when it takes off. We saw two of them take off while we were there.

By the way, want an easy way to know when it’s time to replace your tires?

We didn't plan it right to ride through the Badlands National Park but I did that four years ago, so I'm OK with it. Tomorrow we will ride out to see Mt Rushmore and Chief Crazy Horse as we ride out for Thermopolis, Wyoming. Love that name, have no idea what it means!

Crossed another time zone today, from Central into Mountain time. That makes us only an hour away from home, in a manner of speaking! :lol:

Riding through that wind yesterday my mileage dropped to 48+ and 49+. Back over 50 today!

Charles, good to see you at the rally and meet your wife. Hope to see you next year in Estes Park. Tony, the ferry was the high-speed catamaran ferry out of Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. Don't remember the name of it.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

Today was a three-espresso-stop day. We rode down into Rapid City this morning for the first double shots. Btw, I don’t drink espresso, just normal coffee and today the motel coffee was good enough.

Afterword, we rode up to Mt. Rushmore, about 30 miles. My how things change in four years! I was here four years ago and the cost to park was $5 for car or motorcycle. Today it is $11. But wait, that’s for an annual pass! Right! How many people come back at all within a year? Practically no one!

We were too cheap to pay the price! Once you are inside the memorial you walk down the “avenue” and the presidents are right there in front of you. OK, that is impressive, but you take a few photos then what? There are a couple of touristy places there happy to part you from even more money but unless you plan to spend several hours there hiking around that’s pretty much it. So we rode down to the view point and took pictures:

It occurred to me as we were riding up the wonderful road to Mt. Rushmore that since we left the Blue Ridge Parkway our roads have been pretty straight, especially through Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and South Dakota. It was great to be on curvy roads again!

We continued on down toward Crazy Horse and the town of Custer. We came around the bend and there was a parking area to pull off and view a profile of George W. (By the way, can you name all four presidents memorialized on Mt. Rushmore without Googling them? Answer later.)

In the “Profile” viewing area a lot of people were taking photos as was to be expected. But they were not taking photos of George’s profile. They were taking photos of:

These goats were totally unconcerned with all of the people around. They were just interested in eating. There were another mother and child on the other side of the road.

We rode on down to the town of Custer, passing up Crazy Horse because Don wasn’t feeling well. He and Trisha have gluten allergies but last night we ate at a Mexican restaurant and he couldn’t pass up the chips and salsa. Today he was paying for it. So he needed a second espresso. We found this funky little espresso shop, the only one in town it turns out.

Don instantly felt better. Bet you didn’t know espresso had such healing powers!

We continued our ride through the Black Hills of South Dakota. As we were coming out of the hills, the vistas opened up and we could see all the way into Wyoming. Wyoming, like Montana, is Big Sky country. I have no idea why but the sky is huge! The vistas are huge. And the wide open spaces are even wider than in South Dakota and Iowa.

Our destination on this leg was the small town of Lust….no….that’s not right. LUSK, the town of Lusk, Wyoming. Lusk has a Carnegie Library. I didn’t know this but Andrew Carnegie donated millions to build free libraries around the world, mostly in the US. Most of the libraries were unique, built in a variety of architectural styles. The Lusk library was built in 1919 and is still a free public library.

We continued our ride and Wyoming flattened out into vast expanses of grasslands as far as the eye could see. The only trees to be seen were the few planted around homesteads plus a few pockets planted here and there. Otherwise, just grass!

In the town of Casper we stopped for our third double-shot espressos. If you’re wondering what I’m talking about when I say double espressos, here’s a photo of Don and Trisha’s espresso cups. They hold just two shots of very strong coffee, straight out of the machine, no water added, no milk, no lattes or other foo-foo drink. Just pure strong coffee in these little tiny cups. The cups are actually smaller than thy look in the photo.

Our ride continued across the straight roads on the flat plains at about 5,300’ elevation until we came to a large lake, Boysen Reservoir. There we started down the Wind River Canyon. What a beautiful rock wall canyon and road to ride! All was great until 11 miles from our motel – road construction! We got held up for half an hour or more. Then it was 5+ miles through just-laid chip-seal. Made it OK, though.

In several of the photos you will notice the sky is a whitish-gray, not blue. That's smoke from wildfires in Oregon and Washington. There is a large fire directly on my route home! The alternate routes aren't near as nice of rides. We'll see what develops between now and Saturday/Sunday.

The presidents carved on Mt. Rushmore are: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

My approximate route home Saturday and Sunday and the various wildfires.

Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

What a glorious day! The ride from Thermopolis to Cody, a distance of about 80 miles, was just a nice cruiser, with very little traffic. In Cody we got gas and coffee. Can you believe it? We rode 80 miles before an espresso stop! If you are into rodeos, Cody has a rodeo every night, June – August!

The ride from Cody up the North Fork Yellowstone River Valley is more scenic than Yellowstone National Park itself (in my opinion.) You ride through this valley with steep rock walls with picturesque rock formations that are beautiful. Different than the rock formations in the Wind River Canyon. Also multi-colored cliffs, the different colors representing different geological time periods and events. I wish we had the time to make some stops just to enjoy the scenery. Still not much traffic heading up to Yellowstone.

After entering the park (thank goodness for senior passes!) the traffic did increase but moved along nicely. Fortunately no one parked in the middle of the road to get out of their cars to take photos of animals. They managed to pull off for that. Joel was not so lucky. He peeled off and took the longer northern route around the park. He as a story to tell about that!

We crossed the Continental Divide three times today, twice in the park and once on the Montana/Idaho border after leaving the park. This is the first crossing:

What is a trip through Yellowstone without a stop at Old Faithful? We decided to have lunch at Old Faithful “out of the cooler.” The parking lot we drove through was full but there was space at the end of one row on the outside of the lamp pole where we could park a couple of bikes and be out of the way. There was room at the end of the row behind us for Trisha’s trike. These were not marked parking spaces but there were no signs saying “no parking.” When we came back later five more bikes (three with trailers) including a Spyder trike had parked along with us extending the line even further out. But it looked OK and everyone was still out of the way of traffic.

One of the bikes was this trike called a “Stallion.” We spoke with a woman at one of the trikes with a trailer and she and her husband and the people with the Stallion (all from Texas) were on their way to Alaska. Actually, it’s a bit late, weather-wise, to be going to Alaska. They should already be there and heading back. Anyway, here’s a photo of the Stallion. It even has air conditioning:

So I’m ahead of myself. After parking we decided to go look for a place to have lunch. As we started walking toward Old Faithful it went off! Just like it was waiting for us. To quote Don, “sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!”

After Old Faithful died down we went into the cafeteria (along with half of the thousands who just watched Old Faithful blow) just to see what they had. We were planning to “eat out of the coolers.” Surprise, they had gluten free hot dogs (Don loves hot dogs but has never found a place that serves them with gluten free buns) and vegetarian chili for me. An even bigger surprise was that the prices in the cafeteria were actually quite reasonable! So we ate there, the food was good and portions generous.

We rode the rest of the way through the park and out the west entrance into West Yellowstone, Montana. We gassed up then went to the espresso stand across the street. Only two espresso stops today!

The ride down from Montana into Idaho was pleasant until we got to the flats of Idaho. It got hot for the last 40 miles or so into Idaho Falls, our destination for the night, and the temps rose into the 90s, but we’re here!

If you’ve never ridden the Black Hills region of South Dakota or the Yellowstone area, put them on your bucket list. Well worth the trip out here from wherever.

An update on the wildfires – there are 20 wildfires in the Pacific Northwest, 15 of which are in Oregon, most of which are in my way. Some are small, 2000 – 4000 acres, a couple mostly contained, two in “mop up” status, but a couple of big ones over 200,000 acres and growing. The highway I want to take, the good one over three passes, through one canyon, and one gorge is closed. It’s likely to remain closed which means finding an alternate route home. Unfortunately the only practical alternative is through the desert, hot and boring with straight roads for miles and miles.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

I forgot to report mpg yesterday and it was significant. From Cody, Wyoming through Yellowstone (at 35-45 mph) to West Yellowstone, Montana I got just over 60 mpg, a personal best! That’s OK, I didn’t believe it either and calculated it three times. Exactly the same every time!

We rode west today from Idaho Falls via US Hwy 20, thereby avoiding the interstate for as much as possible. Also, that gave us the chance to stop at Craters of the Moon National Monument to see yet another of our national parks/monuments. And Don and Trisha got to put another stamp in their National Parks Passport!

About 4 miles down the road, Joel turned over 50,000 miles on his 1994 Voyager (he bought it new.) We stopped so he could take a photo of the odometer. A big moment for Joel!

Another few miles down the road and it was time to split the company. My route continued west on US 20 and Don, Trisha, and Joel were headed south on US 93 to Winnemucca, Nevada for the night. All of us should be home tomorrow. A friendly local on her husband’s dirt bike stopped to take the photo of us at the junction.

I forgot to factor in the time change from Mountain time to Pacific so it turned out that I would arrive in Burns, Oregon (where I had motel reservations) earlier than I thought, so I took a little detour. Sun Valley Ski Resort is “only” 26 miles north of US 20 and I always wanted to see it so off I went. 26 miles at 60 mph is different than 26 miles at 45, 35, 25, 20, of which there is a lot on this road. Also, US 20 is almost devoid of traffic but the highway up to Sun Valley is busy. So the trip added more than an hour and half. But I got to see something I always wanted to see.

You can sure tell the towns that have money, and those that don’t! Ketchum/Sun Valley and Hailey (a few miles south) have money. Lots of it! As I rode through those towns I thought to myself that they sure looked like California! Well, duh! Sun Valley has been the playground for the Hollywood rich and famous, their hanger-on-ers, and wanna be’s for 80 years! Of course it looks like California! Anyway, I found the famous ski mountain took my photos, and then got the heck out of there. I couldn’t wait to get back to empty US 20!

As I rode down into Mountain Home, Idaho it kept getting hotter and hotter. I picked up I-84 in Mountain Home and had to ride it 101 miles to Ontario, Oregon, where I could get off and ride the two-lane again. I forgot that the prevailing winds are from the west in southern Idaho and had a stiff wind on the nose. Did I mention it was hot? I stopped at a truck stop after I got off the freeway and went inside to cool off in the air conditioning. I didn’t realize how hot I was until I sat there for a while and drank a 32 oz. Gatorade. I felt refreshed after that and was ready to take on the heat again.

After 30 miles or so the road heads up into the mountains and the rest of the ride to Burns was very pleasant. Up in the mountains it was cooler, well, less hot than down below, but still in the 90's. It was a good thing I made motel reservations last night as all of the motels are full because of the wild fires. Most of the fires are up north of Burns, but there is a large one (183,000+ acres) burning to southeast.

After all is said and done, I will be glad to get home tomorrow. One of the benefits I looked forward to when I retired was getting up when I woke up, not when the alarm went off! All of this staying up until 10:30 or 11:00 and getting up at 5:30 is taking its toll on me. I’m tired! But give me a few days rest and I’ll be ready to go again!

With the headwinds and higher riding speeds (I wanted to get out of the heat!) my mileage on the last tank was only 45+. Lowest of the trip, I believe.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

After we left Ron we rode south on US 93 into Twin Falls, Idaho. I found a Starbucks for my Espresso, in a Barnes & Noble. Yes Ron only had one espresso today. Where Joel, Trisha and I sat for awhile talking about how the ride had been and that it was had to believe that it's been more than three weeks since we left home. For me it's no problem because Trisha has been with me. But the Ron and Joel it's much different.

After fueling we contained south at my 65 mph (Voyager speedo), by the time we got to Wells, NV the temp had climbed to the low 90s. About 50 miles out of Winnemucca, temps rose to 102, so we were all happy to arrive at the motel at the earliest time yet! 4:30 pm.

Tomorrow is the last day and the hardest, we'll be dealing with bay area Sunday traffic. Which means we have to cross the Bay Bridge by 2 pm or be stuck in traffic. Besides we've all had enough heat for a while and the temperature high, in Half Moon Bay tomorrow is going to be 63.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

Don, Ron, and the rest of you. It has been almost (I'm being generous here) as good following your posts w/ pic as if I were there. Many of the sites you highlighted, I have also visited, so I was able to relate to the excitement. Following your trip to and from the Rally has been a pretty good read. I remember my trip from Las Vegas to Ashville and back a mere 10 years ago during the 15th Annual Rally. I have always told others that it's the ride not the destination, but in the case of a Rally, sometimes it hard to tell the difference.

I'm glad you all had a great trip and thanks for the play by play.

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”