Shawnee Sleepy Hollow campground - Shellsburg PA ~ REVIEW

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Shawnee Sleepy Hollow campground - Shellsburg PA ~ REVIEW

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Shawnee Sleepy Hollow campground, between Bedford & Shellsburg PA: http://www.visitbedfordcounty.com/camping/sleepy/
Camped 7/31/14-8/3/14, primitive site, cost $22/day, easy in and out as they have a looped road off of the main road giving two entrance options. In ground heated pool, decently sized bath house and clean. Typical gift shop and camp store, coin-op laundry, game room, pool table, ping pong, shuffle board, volley ball, playground and activities periodically. They also offer sites with water and electricity but we opted for a tent site this visit. The campground was extremely pleasant (but I’m hard pressed to say I've ever found one that wasn't), road noise was present but very tolerable. The road to the site we were on had some fresh gravel :!! and the own warned me to stay to the outside, glad he did :!: . Traversing up the gravel slope wasn't a white knuckler or anything close just needed to use caution and think ahead. Next visit we’ll camp in the lower section as the roads are very level and packed. Owners were as expected extremely friendly and asked if I had AAA or Woodall’s for discounts available. Sat and talked with them for a while Friday evening. They’re trying to retire and sell the campground but it’s still operating as normal.
Lots to see and do in that area as it’s along the Lincoln Highway US route 30. Minutes from the world’s largest coffee pot, bison farm, over a dozen covered bridges, Flight 93 memorial and lots more.
If you’re in the area or entertaining the idea of visiting give this place a thought. There are other options available and prices vary but this campground was in my opinion worth the money.

Was I comfortable there? YES
Did I feel out of place? NO
Did I enjoy my stay? YES
Would I recommend this campground to others? YES
Will I ever return? YES

ImageImage
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
grumpin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Shawnee Sleepy Hollow campground - Shellsburg PA ~ REVIE

Post by grumpin »

Thanks for the report Scott. Nice to see your M/C and trailer in that picture, gets me thinking (dreaming). :Cball The other pics are great looks like fun.
Dane
2000 Voyager
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

A few more pics from that weekend of wondering along Rt 30 Lincoln Highway (the first "transcontinental" automobile highway in the United States which runs from NYC, NY to San Fran, CA).
Just remember; every country has it's own treasures, so get out and explore!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by the2knights »

Thanks for the pics and trip reports! What the Voyager is best at, "Voyaging", nice to see you taking the time to enjoy all those little hidden treasures! Prefer all those old highways when ever possible. I have always enjoyed the history of the Lincoln Highway, and any other of the old grand highways that have long since been forgotten by most!

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”