Rain x on the windscreen

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

seadog
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rain x on the windscreen

Post by seadog »

Can we put Rain-x on the wind screens?
I have put the optional Kawai screen on my 2013 1700.It does say not to use on plastic,but not 100% sure what the Kawi screen is made of.
I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.As well as shedding the rain,maybe it would make it easier to clean off the bug remains(and there are some BIG ones this year) :gig:
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Rain x on the windscreen

Post by debron »

A resounding NO! From Cee Baileys website:
Chemicals That Attack

Do not use solvents such as Acetone, Benzene, Carbone Tetrachloride, Fire Extinguisher Fluid, Paint Stripper or any Lacquer Thinner. Do not use Lock tite, ammonia, bleach, Windex, Rain X, or any other type of kitchen cleaning products.
Rain X will eat acrylic. Cee Baileys makes a rain repellent for acrylic windshields called Rain Repellent Max. I've used this product and it works on acrylic windshields like Rain X works on glass windshields.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
bcprospector
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager xii
2006 Honda Silver Wing

Post by bcprospector »

debron wrote:A resounding NO! From Cee Baileys website:
Chemicals That Attack

Do not use solvents such as Acetone, Benzene, Carbone Tetrachloride, Fire Extinguisher Fluid, Paint Stripper or any Lacquer Thinner. Do not use Lock tite, ammonia, bleach, Windex, Rain X, or any other type of kitchen cleaning products.
Rain X will eat acrylic. Cee Baileys makes a rain repellent for acrylic windshields called Rain Repellent Max. I've used this product and it works on acrylic windshields like Rain X works on glass windshields.
I have used a product called Plexus for years on my 1981 Honda Silver Wing and 2001 Kawasaki Voyager, and the windshields are still clear as new. Obviously, some care and attention to protecting your windshield is prudent, using a dedicated cloth for the windshield makes sense. Scratches from dirt embedded in car wash mitts etc, causes more damage than bugs ever will.

Caution: Use a mask when using these aerosol cleaners is highly recommended, as I found that the overspray irritated my lungs and breathing.

A great product, designed specifically for clear and coloured plastics: Plexiglass, Fibreglass, ABS, Mylar (Window Tints), Lexan, Lucite, Acrylite, and all other acrylics, (including painted surfaces)
I don't use on my painted surfaces, as I prefer a good wax/Polish that I buff with.

Cliff :thmup:
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

I also use Plexus and/or Pledge (a lot cheaper) for general windshield cleaning. I find Plexus does a bit better job than Pledge. (They both clean exceptionally well but I like the "finish" of Plexus better. Less oily.) But when I expect to be riding in the rain is when I use the Rain Repellent Max as it does a superior job of beading up the rain and rolling it off the windshield (and my face shield.) I don't use Rain Repellent Max to clean the windshield, I apply it to an already clean windshield. It's job is just to, well, repel rain.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by the2knights »

I use either Novus Plastic Polish, or just a good carnuba wax on the windshield. Easy to keep clean, and beads water as well as any RainX type product.
seadog
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan 1700

Post by seadog »

Many Thanks for all the input
I did read the instructions but was not to sure of the composition of the windscreen.
I will do some research on some of the products you have all used and see what is available around here in my neck of the woods.
Thanks again,all
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

I have a slipstreamer shield on my 1200, and did use RainX on it once. It will work with that brand shield and did not damage the shield, however, I would not recommend using the RainX as the water would bead in larger drops, and when it would come over the top of the shield, I would get much wetter than not using that product. I just use a universal cleaner such as Kawasaki wipe down, and am happier with that.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.

Return to “General Chat”