Clutch Fiber Plates/Clutch Steel Plates

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

robertmohr
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Clutch Fiber Plates/Clutch Steel Plates

Post by robertmohr »

I'm a bit confused. I just ordered replacement fiber plates for my 1986 1300. The kit includes 8 fiber plates. If I want to order the metal plates all the order specs say I need 6 metal plates to do the job. How odd. If you look at the parts diagram and count the metal plates on the diagram it shows 7 metal plates. Why does it say I only need 6 metal plates?

Thanks for your input.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Clutch Fiber Plates/Clutch Steel Plates

Post by trikebldr »

Robert, I was just looking at my parts diagram and it shows just six of the "plain" metal plates (13089A). There is a seventh plate (13089) near the outside, but it is different from the other six. There are eight "friction" plates, though.
I recommend going to this link to download a complete set of the parts diagrams for the whole, damn bike! On the left side of the page you will find a complete list of the diagrams, but under each category you only want to click on the OEM diagrams. Exploded parts diagrams are extremely helpful in showing how to assemble sections.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/198 ... /o/m150425

P.S.- I also recommend getting the set of shop manuals for this bike, too, if you haven't already got them.
robertmohr
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300
Been liked: 0

Post by robertmohr »

I'm curious what others do when replacement engine parts no longer exist? The steel 6 plates are available, but that one other steel plate is not.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Almost everything on the 1300 is available on eBay. There seem to be about six salvage dealers listing on there now, plus lots of individuals. They offer just about everything. The one I deal with frequently is Sichley Cycle parts. He seems to have about four 1300's currently being parted out.

A week ago there was a guy selling two complete 1300s. One was completely assembled, and the other one was complete, but partially torn apart for painting. He claimed both had excellent engines and ran great. $2500 for both.

I bought a complete clutch set from Sichley just this week, including the basket, pressure plate, springs and primary chain. $80

The 1300 is a 32+ year old bike! It's practical existence WILL end, eventually. I'm sure that is a major reason why a lot of guys have opted for the later 1200 series bike. For some of us hard-core, die-hard fans of the 1300 who have the ability to machine and fabricate parts, we will probably be driving them for another 30 years! It also helps to hoard parts even before you need them! I didn't really need that clutch, but it is in such great shape and at a good price that I will just box it up and shelf it for now.

Now I am looking for radiators. Can't just skip on down to the local radiator shop to get our's repaired. Just have a couple used ones on hand to keep it going. I've seen them for $15-$80 for what look like good ones. Some even come with the fan, shrouds and chromed plastic grill.

The final drive box is another such beast. Going for around $50, they would be a good thing to have a couple on hand. Also, brake calipers and master cylinders. Starter motors, too. Fuel pumps are a problem, though! At $300/ each, used, I am not going to hoard them! I will modify something from a car before I will pay that much for something just as questionable as what I have. For some silly reason the air pump for the suspension seems to bring a premium price, too. Just modify and extend the main feed hose to the control assembly to connect up any new high-pressure pump that will mount almost anywhere.

The 1300s do demand some creativity in maintaining them in good shape. Just do your online research and take notes of what you find. Oh, and come back here and share with us, too! I'll share anything I know! Just won't share my parts!

Just go spend some time on eBay! The parts ARE there! Just type in "Kawasaki Voyager 1300" to bring up a gazillion parts.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

FWIW, here is a current clutch listing on eBay. It is for a COMPLETE clutch assembly. if you look at the details in their pictures, it shows to be in excellent shape, and includes ALL the steel plates. $55, plus $17 shipping. I have bought from Sofiabg before and they ship really quick. Forget all new friction plates. Just grab this compete clutch set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KZ1300 ... f4&vxp=mtr

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”