Front wheel bearings and collar replacement

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

94vulcan
Current bike(s): 2013 Voyager
2000 Vulcan 1500 FI
2003 Honda VTX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Front wheel bearings and collar replacement

Post by 94vulcan »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and look forward to being part of the group. I bought a front wheel on ebay and it's going to be chromed. In order to chrome, the bearings and I believe the collar must be removed. Can someone help me with the process of removing and reinstalling new collar and bearings? Thanks.
Bob - 94vulcan
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Front wheel bearings and collar replacement

Post by Turbo4x4 »

94vulcan wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum and look forward to being part of the group. I bought a front wheel on ebay and it's going to be chromed. In order to chrome, the bearings and I believe the collar must be removed. Can someone help me with the process of removing and reinstalling new collar and bearings? Thanks.
Bob - 94vulcan
You are absolutely correct. Also ensure the entire area where the bearings sit is protected from chroming, otherwise you'll need to have either the chrome machined off so the bearings fit, obtain new bearings of the proper OD to allow for the chrome deposited on the bearing surface, or machine the original bearings. I would not recommend the last two because non-stock bearings will always be required in the future.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”