I am a Newbie looking for suggestions... opinions

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Et1sw47
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I am a Newbie looking for suggestions... opinions

Post by Et1sw47 »

I am looking to buy a 2002 Voyager xii. It has 17K miles. I have not seen it in person yet but, the pics look great. It does not have a cb or intercom. It does have cruise and the cassette stereo.

What should I look for? How much should I reasonably pay for it? They are asking $5000. It is a dealer. Everything I have found suggests the price should be more like $4000

Are there after market CD radios I can replace the cassette with?

Can I add the intercom system? Or given the tech today are there better options for onboard communications?

Thanks for you input and suggestions.

TJ
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: I am a Newbie looking for suggestions... opinions

Post by Mr Jensee »

First off, you are on the mark. $4000 is the right price. I bought a low mileage 2001 seven years ago and paid only $5750 from a dealer at that time. Have you ever bought a used bike before? If you have you probably already know what to look for. The Voyager has some issues that are easily fixed but you need to be aware of them. Check what tires are on the bike. The type and brand make a big difference on how it handles. Most here recommend the Dunlop E3 non radial tires but there are others that work on this machine. Check to see the condition of the tires. The bike has a tendency to have a low speed wobble which could be due to the tires, amount of pressure in them. Look for cupping of the front tire. See if the dealer can check the torque on the steering stem to check for looseness. If you can, I would test ride the bike to see how well it shifts, steers and idles. bounce the front forks up and down to see if there is any fluid leakage from the seals. Start it cold to see the condition of the battery. At full choke it should start right off. It should idle once warm at a thousand rpm or a little less. Check for cracks and issues with the plastic. It can be expensive to replace. Look to see if there is a tie wrap on the wiring loom coming from the ignition to under the fake tank. If there is one remove it once you purchase it. Others on here will explain why. Make sure all lights work. If you purchase it, I recommend replacing all fluids immediately to avoid problems later on. Check the rear drive, the large nut cap on the rear hub above the swing arm that the fluid is clear and sitting about an eight inch below opening. If you can't ride it but are allowed to start it, put it on the center stand and go through the gears and make sure there are no strange noises. Some 2002 and 2003 models had factory issues of not properly lubricating the drive shaft. If it has to be replaced it can be costly. As for the radio, we have a guy on here that refurbs them and can add mp3 imput functions for a charge. You have to remove the radio and send it to him. If the tape deck is broken he might be able to fix it but the drive belts are getting scarce. The intercom is already there you just have to find the cords. A CB is going to be very expensive if you can find them. They are not available new. Ok I am going to let others chime in. I am sure I missed a lot. Good luck!
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by voyager55 »

They have a intercom, you need to buy a cable to hook up headsets etc.
Et1sw47
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Et1sw47 »

Thanks so much for the info.

I have wanted one of these things for years. When I called the dealer said it did not have an intercom or CB. That is why I was not aware of the intercom already being there.

Now, he recommended a chatterbox and I have seen other bluetooth devices. Do you guys have any inputs on those as compared to the intercom? I have not used one before so I am curious as to maybe the new bluetooth stuff would be better...Does the radios play through the intercom?

I used to have a Vulcan 750, which I loved but, turned it into a patio in the back yard several years ago. I am selling a car which some fella offered to trade a sportster for and now I am jonesing for a bike again and this one came up like it was just meant to be.... LOL

Thanks again for any and all input!
Charles L.
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 97 Voyager

Post by Charles L. »

Seventeen thousand miles, that's pretty close to "new". That previous fella that answered you gave you lots of good tips what to check out. You've had other bikes and you probably have good ears. Start er up and listen to that engine. You know what "bad" sounds like, and if it runs ok, and maybe the dealer will let you have it for forty five, you're getting a great touring bike at a great price. I wish you good luck.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

...also the Voyager XII came with air suspension. If the bike tends to wallow in the curves it will need air in the shocks. If you click on the link at the bottom of this post you can read a lot about the Voyager and know what it takes. Normally about 7 lbs. in the front and around 26 in the rear if I remember correctly. I replaced all the air suspension with Progressive springs and shocks so I don't have to worry about that anymore. As for bluetooth my experience is limited to one cheap brand that only worked mediocre but there is one sold by Cycle Gear called a UClear that touts much louder speakers for the helmet. I am thinking of trying one come next spring. Cycle Gear has bluetooth helmets for around $200 each which I think is a good deal. The radio does play through the intercom system. You must have a wired helmet with mic and speakers and there are cords that plug into the back of the radio that completes the system. Neal, one of the members on here can sell you the right cords. Sorry I do not have his email address. I am sure someone on here can respond on that.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

$4000 is a good price from a private party ,but your going to pay more from a dealer.
If you get him to split the difference or throw in a 30 day limited warranty your doing pretty good.
Make sure the dealer is willing to work on it even if you have no intention of his ever seeing it again .This will help you feel out the dealer ,some dealers wont touch a bike more than 10 years old.
Remember that 17000 miles divided by 13 years means that bike had a lot of sitting time ,so watch for cracked hoses and /or rust around moving parts and bolts.
Have a Good Ride.
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

....Listening to music, is the least of your concerns of buying a bike this old, with this few of miles !
old fuel sitting in carbs ,solidify in time and clog up the inner workings . A bike this age ,as stated... with such few miles ,means this bike has spent more time sitting ,unused, than it has seen the road !
Motorcycle fuel systems work best with constant use ! Don't give already poor quality fuel, a chance to cause trouble ! As already stated by Charles L...., start it up and listen to it , if it won't idle properly and stumbles and stalls upon acceleration..... use this as a bargaining tool, This time of year,especially this close to
christmas is "buyers advantage" if you have $CASH$ you are in total control , I see that we are in the same state.......There isn't many people in competition,( this time of year )with you in Ohio to get this bike. :tired: My advise is... throw out a insulting :lol: low ball offer ... and see what happens !
Remember.....They go HIGH......You go LOW.....then ....meet somewhere in the middle !... :-D

edit : in the title of this post'...you asked for opinions .... this is the place ! :gig:
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Home Phone disconnected.

Post by Mr Jensee »

Guys, I wouldn't worry about this bike. The original poster just sent me a walk around video of the bike in the dealership and they started and had it running. It looks as pristine as my bike did when I bought it. Apparently the last owner my not have put a lot of miles on it but he apparently did ride it regularly. I think we can safely say if he can buy it for $4500 or so it is a steal. :clap:
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

ET, as far as the stock intercom versus an aftermarket anything, I would recommend the stock intercom if you can get the Y cord needed to use it. The radio (and tape player or MP3 player) will play over the intercom, and if you have a passenger and need to talk to them, the stock intercom will mute the radio so you can hear that way. If you ever get a stock CB for it, that also overrides the radio. So the stock intercom is integrated so much better than anything I've seen so far aftermarket. Enjoy the Voyager, they are a great bike.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I bought '99 Voyager 5 years ago for $5000 at Theils Wheels with 22000 miles on it, and have never been sorry. :perfect10: Yes,I probably paid a little too much for it ,but it is such an enjoyable bike I can easily live with that.I have one short ride to reach 27000 miles added to the 22000,but Ohio's weather may not allow that this year. :please: The weather is warm enough today,but I do not feel like getting wet washing the salt off of it. :gig: As was mentioned earlier,change all fluids,and that includes the shock oil,that makes a big difference in the ride.A modification I made to mine was to follow an old thread on here, to install a switch to interrupt power to the starter.You will find if the bike sets about 5 days or more,the gas has evaporated out of the carbs and you will have to crank it long enough to get the fuel pump to refill the carbs.With the interrupt switch,I open the switch,hit the start button until I hear the pump stop clicking,close the switch,and it starts like I ran it yesterday. :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

cushman eagle wrote:A modification I made to mine was to follow an old thread on here, to install a switch to interrupt power to the starter.You will find if the bike sets about 5 days or more,the gas has evaporated out of the carbs and you will have to crank it long enough to get the fuel pump to refill the carbs.With the interrupt switch,I open the switch,hit the start button until I hear the pump stop clicking,close the switch,and it starts like I ran it yesterday. :thmup:
Just curious (mine rarely sits for more than 3 days), would bumping the starter get the fuel pump going if you don't turn off the key? Of course you will need the battery to be good, as your headlight will be on. I would think, bump it, count to 5, turn the key off then on (so it isn't starting with the headlight on), then start it with 1/2 to 3/4 choke (or full if yours needs it).
Since i will be going on a trip soon without my bike, :cry2: , I will try that out when i get back. Oh yes, I live in phoenix, az, rode last night. A cool and dry 58 to 60F ride at 7:30pm. :thmup:
Enjoy (i have to go and get ready to "ride" into work-should be about 55F),
Ken

PS. I have ridden in the Eugene, OR area back in the late 80's on my full dressed 79 Yamaha XS1100, as low as in the upper mid 30's, as long as Ice wasn't likely. So yes, a little dedicated to riding. :cold: :wnk2:
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

I do the mods to the Radio..
The options are in the link on my Signature line (i hope)
If you replace the stock radio with a car/marine radio, you run into a couple of issues and loose some options.
You will loose the intercom (from driver to passenger) and also the connectivity to the stock optional CB.
You will loose in all but a few cases, (see below) handlebar controls
You will loose auto volume with speed adjust.
Unless you use a Marine radio, you will loose weather resistance.
If you settle on a marine Radio you will need to choose carefully as there are only two or so options that will allow the handlebar controls to work with an optional ($90) adapter.
No point in getting a CD player.. Where are you going to store CD's on a bike that wont get scratched ;-)

On the fuel priming, the 1986 model has a carb primer built in, and you can hear the fuel pump buzzing away till the carbs fill up.. After 86, they reworked the harness and removed that option. "Bumping" will kind of work but will probably need repeated "Bumping" to get the carbs at the point of having a decent level of fuel after being left standing for 2 weeks or more. I did try it on my '94 when I had it and never heard the fuel pump the same way as I hear the (exactly the same pump) on my '86

Cheers..
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
Et1sw47
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Et1sw47 »

Thanks for all the great input! I am sure I am going to need more input in the future as I bought the bike yesterday. I most likely over paid as it cost me $4700 but, that included delivery from Columbus to Cincinnati.

In any case I got what appears to be a very nice bike with low miles. The one thing that is bugging me is that it does not appear to have an intercom. There is a 4 prong male plug in the remote bag for the passenger but, I thought the intercom plugs were round?

I could not find any loose plugs in the fairing. Was the intercom a standard feature?

Thanks again,

Tim

PS here is a link to the bike with pics and video while it is still up anyway...

http://www.thecycleco.com/motorcycles/2 ... ER-419.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

yes and no..
The intercom is built into the Radio regardless of year..
What makes it work is a Y shaped Ground set cable which was OPTIONAL at about $50
One end plugs into the socket that comes out of the radio behind the headlight that has a yellow band on it. the other ends, (one long end and one short end) goes to the passenger control and the Riders .. Positions of this cable vary but typically its by the riders left knee and the passengers hip IF ITS FITTED.
The 4 pin plug is the wire that goes to the CB controls, again optional if fitted, inside the passenger pouch..
If the CB is not fitted , you will see the Talk and channel change sections on the passenger control are blanked off.

If you look in the tech tips section, you will see an article on how to set up the radio by me.
If the ground set cables are missing, Carl Leo may have one or they can be found on Ebay for about $50 for the Ground set cable and about $100 per headset depending on the make and quality.

Basically, with no intercom setup, turn the two left controls (outer and inner) to min and turn the outer right to about 2pm and the inner right to max..
That sets max volume above 30mph and max treble.
Then with the bike stationary, set the handlebar volume to about 3 blocks on the LCD. That sets max volume under 30mph..
To program the clock, with the clock displaying press and hold the ME button and press the H and M rocker button to the right of the display for hours and mins.. The Hours will roll over from AM to PM.

To set a radio preset, scan to the station you want, press and release the ME button and then press 1,2,3 or 4 depending where you want the station in the presets..

Hope that helps.
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
Et1sw47
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Et1sw47 »

Hi Pete!

Thanks, that explains a lot. Now let me get your opinion... I have never used an intercom system before on a bike. another poster said using the bike's system is the way to go. I have seen some info on the chatterbox type bluetooth but, in comparison, giving that I have to add either way what would be your suggestions?

Also, because it is winter, I am VERY interested in your radio upgrade. I have gone to your link but, I am still a little vague on costs. I am also interested in how the upgrade would relate to adding an intercom or bluetooth communication system.
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

The only "problem" with the built in intercom is the cables and altough they are coiled, you have to remember you are attached ;-) they headsets are quite bulky but will fit in most open and full faced helmets. If you wear a "Bone dome" or "brain bucket " or skull type helmet , fitting them is a problem.
With the built in intercom, you can listen to the radio through the headset using the HS (Headset) button and the mic controls will adjust the intercom volume and the depth of fade of the music when you talk. However, you can also listen to the radio on the speakers only and only have the intercom running through the headsets..
This is a better option because the mods I do use the tape circuit which is inherently hissy which isnt noticeable on the speakers but on the headset, with no music playing, like when using the tape, you will notice it more because your ears are pressed right up to the speakers.
Bluetooth headsets.. Convenient, will ink to your phone/mp player but only one headset at a time.
You can intercom with 2 bluetooth headsets or up to 4 similar headsets with other riders.. (depends on the make/model)
Personally I have bluetooth headsets/helmets and link that to the phone and use Skivi to read messages as they come in or just notify me so when I stop i can answer etc..
I use the mod I do to play back mp3 on a usb bean sized flash drive.. Or link my bluetooth phone to it to play music that way.. It can receive calls but you cant speak back to the caller and it wont link the headset to the radio, nor will using a wired headset allow you to use the phone , well I dont think so.. I may have to check that out.... hmmmmm...

Cheers..
Call me if you want to discuss the prices further.

Pete
Pete

1986 Voyager XII
Bungee1971
Current bike(s): 1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Bungee1971 »

Hello all, I am obviously, a newbie as well. I just bought a 1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII in July and I am absolutely in love with it, but I have slowly been discovering that the previous owner did very little, if any maintenance on it in the last few years....This is what I have done so far maybe not in this order:
I changed the oil and filter which was BLACK :shock: , I put Lucas synthetic 20W-50 mc oil and Lucas motorcycle oil stabilizer. I took the clutch cover off and the darn gasket was dry rotted and it crumbled so I had to quickly get some liquid gasket to reseal it, before I changed the oil I noticed a sloooow oil drip on the left side off of the water pump bolt, which made NO sense to me but the leak hasnt returned because the oil I replaced is as thick as friggin honey. :-D I changed the air filter which was FILTHY, I removed the side chrome pieces and cowlings ans noticed that the parts that hold them on had been broken off and never repaired, so I busted out the crazy glue and marine fiberglass Bondo and repaired those...the rear suspension is shockingly good and hold pressure well, the front tire is good the back kinda treadless so I definitely need that. The rear speakers had been snipped and removed.(boo! :-( ) and the passenger seat recently started tearing at the seems. The radio, the guy said, never worked, but I noticed that if I turned the volume ALL the way up I could hear the radio faintly, then I noticed its stuck in HS mode I pooped a tape in but it didnt play and, yes, I already read on here how to fix that and plan to do that soon... I just need to know in order of importance, if possible, what i should check next.... ;-) I am moving as fast as my paychecks allow.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Change out all of the fluids... And I mean, "all": fork oil (most overlooked maintenance item on nearly every bike, the world over...); brake fluid in both front and rear brakes (might lead to cleaning/overhauling); same with the hydraulic clutch (all use DOT4, all may need extensive cleaning); rear drive shaft oil should be changed out; oil in OEM rear shocks -- it does wear out, and performance degrades as a result; and flush and fill the coolant.

Some upgrades to consider: Progressive brand fork springs, and airless shock replacements. This will eliminate the need for air in both the front, and the rear, suspensions. It performs well for a modest cost -- easy to do yourself. Next, I would suggest NGK Iridium spark plugs: around $9 per plug, but they will run 50,000-100,000 miles, assuming they don't get fouled. An AGM battery: immune to vibration; sealed, maintenance-free; can be left on a shelf for 6+ months without being connected to a charger, without losing charge; life expectancy of up to 6 years, where flooded batteries have only lasted me up to 2 years, on two different bikes. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Bungee1971
Current bike(s): 1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Bungee1971 »

Well, looks like I'm going to be busy for a minute...thank God I've got every tool under the sun or this might have been a problem. I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the info. Questions:
-The fork oil, and rear drive oil and rear suspension oil are what type of oil? Are they all the same or ??
- I was searching for the spark plugs and I found two under the gas tank (1 on each side)...aren't there 4? If so where are the other 2 plugs? are they under the gas tank?
I used to have someone take care of this stuff for me so I never worried about knowing this stuff but I now would like to know how to do it myself so expect me to be pestering you guys for info

Return to “General Chat”