oil pan

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bigmac7139
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 kawasaki voyager
1978 kawasaki kz 750
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
1979 Kawasaki kz650
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

oil pan

Post by bigmac7139 »

when i first bought my xii i was unaware of how much silicon was used to put her back together. one of the first things i noticed was that when i went to do an oil change, there was a large plug of it around one of the drain bolts. i got a used one of ebay but have never put it on. well it seems like its a good time of year to start a project and get ready for the upcoming riding season.
heres the question, i have not looked in the book yet, but does one need to pull the motor to replace the pan? i figured i would ask before hand as i have to wait for a gasket to come in anyways. thanks for the info.
mike in kansas city mo
living and taking it a day at a time!!!
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Has liked: 0

Re: oil pan

Post by kjsett »

bigmac7139 wrote:when i first bought my xii i was unaware of how much silicon was used to put her back together. one of the first things i noticed was that when i went to do an oil change, there was a large plug of it around one of the drain bolts. i got a used one of ebay but have never put it on. well it seems like its a good time of year to start a project and get ready for the upcoming riding season.
heres the question, i have not looked in the book yet, but does one need to pull the motor to replace the pan? i figured i would ask before hand as i have to wait for a gasket to come in anyways. thanks for the info.
Carl just talked me through that process last October. Something hit my pan and put a crack in it :tho: (one hour from home on way from Phoenix to Colorado-ROK insurance only way to go). :bravo:
You will need to pull the radiator and the header pipes. I tried without doing either and it just added to my time. If your bike is as or older than mine ('03) and hasn't had the O'rings changed in the water jacket manifold pipe where they go into each cylinder, I would just go ahead and get them and replace them. Less than a month after doing all that work, I had to half-way pull the Radiator and move the headers forward again since they started leaking (guess I disturbed the O'rings). :gmad: They just square off after time and heat. Be sure to lube them to put them back in as they all go in at the same time.
So for parts: Oil pan gasket; header gaskets (4ea) (brass rings); O'Rings (4ea). Best to call Carl and get them from him so you will be sure to have the right ones. If the hoses haven't been changed, now is a good time also to change them and the antifreeze. Tech specs has some good numbers and I got the long skinny one from NAPA. (see my post from last October/Nov). Also have good hose clamps available as two came apart when I was taking them off the bike.
Anyway, good luck. :Cball
Ken

PS. careful pulling off the pan, there is/are pipe pieces held in place that fell out when i pulled mine. Not fun trying to figure where they came from, and where to put them back. :corn:
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Skibou
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0

Post by Skibou »

I also had to replace my oil pan. (Tip: Don't do what I did,--- use a torque wrench to reinstall the drain plugs.) I got a replacement from Carl, and he told me that it was possible to disconnect and reinstall the exhaust headers without removing the radiator or hoses. I just loosened the radiator holding bolts to allow a little movement. Turns out with some extreme finger exercise he was right. No surprise there. I found the hardest part of the job was lifting the rest of the exhaust system back into place. I didn't have a helper, so I had to get by using two car jacks, running backwards and forwards and adjusting them to slowly position the pipes.
By the way, as well as detailed help, Carl's replacement pan included gaskets and drain plugs. As usual you'll get the best service from him.
bigmac7139
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 kawasaki voyager
1978 kawasaki kz 750
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
1979 Kawasaki kz650
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigmac7139 »

Thanks for the heads up, yea when i first bought the oil pan i hadn't joined the ava yet, but have always appreciated the help everyone gives. Mine is a 93 black and teal,
mike in kansas city mo
living and taking it a day at a time!!!

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”