Won't idle.

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1991 Voyager 1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Won't idle.

Post by Rich in New Jersey »

Had a nice ride into work this morning, the bike was running great with the new spark plugs I installed last week. My 1991 Voyager started when I barely touched the button, with no choke, and idled perfectly this morning. The problem began when I pulled into the parking lot and began to back into a space. While pushing backwards my right foot hit some cinders and slid outwards and the bike tipped to the right. Now my foot's too far out to support the bike so I laid it gently on the crash bar, no problem, a little embarrassing though, and it did stall out. I right the bike and park it and restart it. It was a little tough to restart and would not Idle. Riding home I hoped it would clear up, it ran fine just had to keep it reving at stops. It still wants to stall back in the garage. Now I know none of you have ever tipped one of these over but I thought you might still have some idea what may be going on, did the carbs get out of sinc or something? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
6ft1_grand
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Won't idle.

Post by 6ft1_grand »

Did you try to do some minor adjustments on the idle knob? It's on the left side by the carbs. I know this won't help if something got knocked out of whack but it's a place to start.
-John-
95 Voyager XII
Past rides
85 Voyager 1300
08 Kawasaski 500 LTD
02 Yamaha V-Star 1100
96 Yamaha Virago 750
81 Honda CM400T
72 Honda CB175
Avidrider62
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): Bikeless
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Avidrider62 »

Maybe dislodged nasty fuel junk from the tank? Fuel flow issue?
2003 with 87 colors
Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster

6ft1_grand wrote:Did you try to do some minor adjustments on the idle knob? It's on the left side by the carbs. I know this won't help if something got knocked out of whack but it's a place to start.
I turned the idle up with the knob, but then the idle will go to 2000 after using the throttle.
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2017 Victory Vision
1996 Voyager (Just sold)
1981 GPZ 550 (Previous bike)

Post by Tonyvdb »

That idle adjustment knob is really touchy, I tiny bit of a turn will make a big difference. Just play with it till you find the right spot but wait till the bike has warmed up compleatly so run it about 10 min.
2017 Gloss black Victory Vision
1996 Kawasaki Voyager Just sold
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Me Again »

It's pretty easy to flood them when you tip them.The fact that it stalled is more reason to beleive you flooded it out.You may have to pull and clean the plugs again to get it to run right.you also may need to change the oil as oil will suck up the vent tube and you will wind up with gas in the oil. My 1300 fouled 2 plugs when I had it out in the rain .First plug cleared right away but The second did not clear until I stopped trying to run high R's and let it just idle.
The bad part about that was I was sitting at a stop light and all of a sudden I was in a fog.When I pulled off the light it was running great again.scared the begeebers out of me.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

This happened to me once. run off the road by some mule deer doing about 65mph. Came to a stop sideways and gently laid it down. Gas fouled two plugs and had to spend some time to pull the plugs out on the road, :dm: . Don't keep running it until you check the plugs, you could gas wash the cylinders and have more serious problems if there is a plug not firing. Gene K.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster

ekap1200 wrote:This happened to me once. run off the road by some mule deer doing about 65mph. Came to a stop sideways and gently laid it down. Gas fouled two plugs and had to spend some time to pull the plugs out on the road, :dm: . Don't keep running it until you check the plugs, you could gas wash the cylinders and have more serious problems if there is a plug not firing. Gene K.
Thanks, I know it flooded out, just surprised its so hard to clear out again. I'll dry the plugs this weekend.
Bob in Tucson
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Voyager XII

Post by Bob in Tucson »

How about draining the carb bowls? Maybe some gunk got past the fuel filter and into the needle and seats. Takes just 5 minutes to drain all 4 bowls.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Once you get it sorted out, try running SeaFoam through the gas tank once per month, according to directions. SeaFoam performs several functions useful in keeping your fuel system in good order: preserves gasoline up to 24 months (may not be relevant, but it won't hurt anything, either); absorbs small amounts of water in the fuel system (it contains 0% alcohol, unlike the "oxygenated" gasoline you likely fill your tank with); it dissolves varnish deposits throughout the fuel system, keeping everything squeaky clean, when used regularly. You can use any fuel system cleaner you prefer, I just use SeaFoam because it is multi-purpose, and affordable: $9/can, down to $6 on sale; treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline, per can. Cheers!
:thmup:
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster

You don't have to tell me about Seafoam I'm huge fan of the stuff and recommend it to everyone. My leaf blower would only run on full choke once so I swung the carb over into a bowl of Seafoam for a couple of days and it ran fine afterwards. The Voyager carbs and fuel tank were cleaned last year, seafoamed gas all winter, syphoned out the storage gas and filled with fresh premium with a touch of Seafoam before starting the bike this season. So I think things are pretty clean. Thanks for all the replies, probably just need to blow off the plugs.
Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster

Okay, I pulled the sparkplugs , they didn't look flooded, 1&2 slightly wet maybe. I'm pretty good at that #2 plug now. I drained the carbs and took it for a ride around the block, it seemed okay. Just took it for a little longer run, stopped at the ATM and at the next light the idle started to drop again. Back home I noticed that if I leaned it to the left the idle would drop trying to stall, once uprighted and to the right the idle comes right up to normal, what the heck. Something is starving to the left? Any ideas?
Corne
Current bike(s): Kawasaki Voyager Xii 1993

Post by Corne »

Hi,
I would first test the vacuum hose, if it leaks, you have the same problem, no idle.
The hose comes all the way from the front there is a vacuum valve, it could be bad
as well. Then it spits up in 2, and 2 other carburators have stop hoses. they could
be bad as well.
If the vacuum is not working perfect you will always have an idle problem

Corne
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

ekap1200 wrote:... some mule deer doing about 65mph....
Gene, those are some fast mule deer!! :gig: :gig: :-O :gig:
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

debron wrote:
ekap1200 wrote:... some mule deer doing about 65mph....
Gene, those are some fast mule deer!! :gig: :gig: :-O :gig:
OK , Ron, maybe they were only going 40... but they sure came out there on the road like they were going 65 :gig:
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Rich in New Jersey
Streetster
Streetster

While trying to solve my idling problem I noticed something everyone should check for tomorrow. The air filters plastic frame has a sponge [foam] gasket around the sides of it. Mine totally disintegrated leaving nothing but a sticky goo remnant. There were some particles in the air box, but I'm sure the rest went through the carbs. I drained the carbs a few times and am running a good dose of Seafoam. Today the bike ran good to work and back, but next time out, who knows. So I suggest everyone check that gasket, and by the way I found an air filter for $26.17 online I think that's a good price comparatively.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

There is always the possibility that the float valve in a carb, one or more, you have 4, may be stuck open and flooding out a cylinder. The bike should not be so touchy leaning it either way once running. I would start with going over the carbs before you look elsewhere since this sounds like a problem with fluid levels not compensating.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”