Help!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

HawkeSHR
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
1993 Kawasaki ZG1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help!

Post by HawkeSHR »

I'm stranded in traffic because my gearshift link snapped off. Waiting for the tow. Anyone have a gearshift link to sell?
Avid Commuter, MSF/PAMSP RiderCoach
My rides: 2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Bob in Tucson
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Voyager XII

Re: Help!

Post by Bob in Tucson »

Check with Carl Leo in Florida. I always carry a spare linkage that I got from him. Good insurance.
HawkeSHR
Cruiser
Cruiser
1993 Kawasaki ZG1200

Post by HawkeSHR »

Bob in Tucson wrote:Check with Carl Leo in Florida. I always carry a spare linkage that I got from him. Good insurance.
Will do!
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

HawkeSHR wrote:I'm stranded in traffic because my gearshift link snapped off. Waiting for the tow. Anyone have a gearshift link to sell?

That happened to me years ago (I carry a spare, also, now) and with a few tools took of the linkage pieces and a local helped me find a near-by shop who could brase/weld the linkage back together. Didn't even charge me. 15 min after getting back to bike, I was back on the road.

Bill O

I posted an article years back about it in the Tech Pages.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
HawkeSHR
Cruiser
Cruiser
1993 Kawasaki ZG1200

Post by HawkeSHR »

Bill O wrote:
HawkeSHR wrote:I'm stranded in traffic because my gearshift link snapped off. Waiting for the tow. Anyone have a gearshift link to sell?

That happened to me years ago (I carry a spare, also, now) and with a few tools took of the linkage pieces and a local helped me find a near-by shop who could brase/weld the linkage back together. Didn't even charge me. 15 min after getting back to bike, I was back on the road.

Bill O

I posted an article years back about it in the Tech Pages.
Yes, never hurts to have an extra clutch cable and now the gear shift link hardware. The part that broke (snapped off) was the rounded end of the link shaft that connect to the engine shifting connection (at the engine). I contacted Carl Leo - He's the man to talk to about parts, that's for sure.

Was surprising to depress the shifter to have it just hang towards the ground :oh: . (1) I'm glad I was stopped at a light (2) I'm glad it was not during one of the two trips I made to DC recently. (3) Thank God :pray: it is an easy repair job this time. (4) I get to learn more about my bike (Yay! :roll:) Instead of complaining this time I'm being grateful for the positive aspects.

Thanks for the suggestions and help friends. AVA forum is a great community to belong to!
chicagorandy
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 86 Voyager XII
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by chicagorandy »

'Rookies' to the Kawasaki XII like me want to know.....which specific parts to the linkage do folks carry as spares for reverse voodoo?

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/K ... parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole assembly is rather spendy.

Thanks
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

", never hurts to have an extra clutch cable"....
HawkeSHR, I thought the XII had a hydraulic clutch(????). :wnk2: :wnk2: :-O

Seriously, I hope there is a response on the individual parts one should carry as that is kinda unnerving to suddenly be stuck in traffic (temps here in Phoenix in the coming season can go well above 120F on that asphalt) and be unable to motivate. :cry2: :hot:
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
HawkeSHR
Cruiser
Cruiser
1993 Kawasaki ZG1200

Post by HawkeSHR »

kjsett wrote:", never hurts to have an extra clutch cable"....
HawkeSHR, I thought the XII had a hydraulic clutch(????). :wnk2: :wnk2: :-O

Seriously, I hope there is a response on the individual parts one should carry as that is kinda unnerving to suddenly be stuck in traffic (temps here in Phoenix in the coming season can go well above 120F on that asphalt) and be unable to motivate. :cry2: :hot:
LOL, yeah!!! the extra clutch cable is for my KLR (my other steed in the stable). I can interchange them without realizing. Sometimes people look at me because I carry tools and such but a while back (before my Voyager) I had a tire blow out (actually the tube blew) on my KLR. Friends stopped to help and they were kinda impressed I had the right amount of tools to do the roadside tire repair.

No reason to go overboard but several key items stored on board when travelling can smooth out a bump or two in the trip and keep you riding.

I'd say as a starter the parts list should include reaonably accessible to the repair parts that you can do a roadside repair; jumpstarter (they make them nice and compact now), parts that would stop your trip (as in my gear shifting parts), some key hardware items to help secure the frame, seat (small assorted metric set of nuts and bolts), zip ties are a must and have helped me in a pinch until I got home, tire patch or repair tools. Most of my emergency tools and such I can pack in one saddlebag. I'd have to think some more on it since I've only had the Voyager since December. I have my KLR emergency kit pretty well covered.
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
2003 1200 Voyager

Post by Bill O »

chicagorandy wrote:'Rookies' to the Kawasaki XII like me want to know.....which specific parts to the linkage do folks carry as spares for reverse voodoo?

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/K ... parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole assembly is rather spendy.

Thanks

The items to carry are 13242 and 13242a. I carry the whole unit with the linkage bar as one unit. I picked one up for about $10 from Fleabay. After my 1st linkage breakdown on my '94, I had that one braised and reinstalled. I got a spare and carry it on my other voyager and '03. Low and behold, the '03 linkage broke and I installed the spare. The broke one, I welded myself, re-lubed and put back as a spare.

What happens is one of the "Bell" linkage shears of the respective shift lever. They are just spot welded on. To repair you just move the rubber boot that covers the Bell and braise or tack weld back on the lever. After it cools, then apply some good grease into the bell as best you can, then slide the ruber boot back onto the Bell. Bada-bing, bada-boom!

Bill O
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager

6ft1_grand
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 6ft1_grand »

I'm glad to find known issues on this forum. I will certainly be inspecting this linkage before the day's out.

Are there any other things that I should be inspecting on a regular basis?
-John-
95 Voyager XII
Past rides
85 Voyager 1300
08 Kawasaski 500 LTD
02 Yamaha V-Star 1100
96 Yamaha Virago 750
81 Honda CM400T
72 Honda CB175
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Bill O, that's good to know, I run the super/slabs allot and there are a plenty of truck stops. Flip a mechanic 30 bucks and your back on the road in less than the time for a lunch or dinner stop over. I don't carry any spares other than some alt/brush's , fuse's , plastic tie's and elc/tape. Great road repair tip. Gene K.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Shifting lever

Post by bikerking.biz »

Here's a tip I found that really helped and would probably save carrying so many spare parts. Remove the shifter assembly from the bike and grease the shaft where the shift pedal turns on when shifting. Mine was so dry and stuck on there, that it was tough to get off at first, this will put added stress to the linkage. Once greased, the bike shifts like butter now and much easier. You also want to make sure that your hydraulic brake fluid is mostly clear and not root beer color. Do these two things (and I run full synthetic oil), and your shifting should be much better. I also lube the pivot points of the shift linkage every so often.
:thmup:
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

If you can't carry or don't have spare parts join the AVA (hey, it's only 20 bucks) and get a $10 discount to join ROK (Riders of Kawasaki but you can join with any brand of bike) and get towing insurance covering up to $250 per tow!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
JTC1
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 92 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by JTC1 »

debron wrote:If you can't carry or don't have spare parts join the AVA (hey, it's only 20 bucks) and get a $10 discount to join ROK (Riders of Kawasaki but you can join with any brand of bike) and get towing insurance covering up to $250 per tow!
Thats what I did! Thought it was a great deal (and fairly cheap insurance)!
Jeff and Janet Corbin
Corbin Farm, Dover, PA.
1992 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

debron wrote:If you can't carry or don't have spare parts join the AVA (hey, it's only 20 bucks) and get a $10 discount to join ROK (Riders of Kawasaki but you can join with any brand of bike) and get towing insurance covering up to $250 per tow!
I had to use it last fall. Best money i have spent on the bike (hour from home and loaded down for a trip). :thmup: :bowdn: :hpdc: :bravo:
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
2003 1200 Voyager

Post by Bill O »

........and carry your membership roster with you on the bike. From just about anywhere in the country you can contact a regional/local member ready to assist with just about any emergency.

Bill O
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager

tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by tregal16 »

another thing to carry with you...a spare speedometer cable. While it won't stop you from your trip it does disable the speedometer and cruise control (along with the speed sensitive volume on the radio) The cable fits nicely under the mat in the rear trunk.
If it is worth having, it is worth taking care of...

2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

tregal16 wrote:another thing to carry with you...a spare speedometer cable. While it won't stop you from your trip it does disable the speedometer and cruise control (along with the speed sensitive volume on the radio) The cable fits nicely under the mat in the rear trunk.
Yes, I do carry a cable (fits under the trunk mat). But so far the only thing that has failed during a trip is the speedo gearbox that the cable attaches to. Mine froze up 1000 miles from home with no time to get one in before I had to leave (unless I wanted to pay over $60 for overnight). Used the GPS to get home.
Sooooooo.... I plan on lubing it everytime I change the front tire. Either doing it myself, or having it done (during the change). Insurance plan I guess. :hmm:
Separate issue, it is a Sunday, but where ever I tried on the ROK site to renew, it took me to an error page on the Road Assistance (or something like that) website (who they insure through). :please:
Guess I will try again tomorrow.
Enjoy,
Ken :corn:

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”