IT rides like its on edge

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Mike R
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 kawasaki voyager xii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

IT rides like its on edge

Post by Mike R »

ok ive had my bike for a bit now and I thought It was im new to the bike ,but it still feels like it is on edge, very sensitive to bar inputs is it the bike or is it me ? I have e3 on front gong to get a new rear e3 this weekend , thnx
Voyager xxii
Looking forward to meeting new friends
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: IT rides like its on edge

Post by ekap1200 »

Mike R wrote:ok ive had my bike for a bit now and I thought It was im new to the bike ,but it still feels like it is on edge, very sensitive to bar inputs is it the bike or is it me ? I have e3 on front gong to get a new rear e3 this weekend , thnx
Hello Mike, its not you . It is something or a few things that is causing it. Keep reading up on the forum for all the little things that will cause it. Get the front end up off the floor and check everything out. While your rear tire is getting swapped out, check your wheel bearing, swing arm bearing , and also the bolts that hold the removable frame section out. Being very sensitive to bar inputs could be something as simple as the fork brace, more on that later. Let us know what you find out after you raise the front end off the ground.
Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

Not enough info to help, Need year & milage , tire mfg, air psi in tires and shocks & shock settings, your weight, how many miles on tires and how many miles have you ridden it. How much do you know about the XII?

But normally untill you build confidence in a new, to you, M/C, especially a Type (Cruiser, Dresser, Crotch Rocket,) that you have not been used to before, it does take some practice in all sitiuations to get used to it handeling traits. The XII is VERY!!! touchy when it comes to all the settings being in the right place for you the rider. 1psi in is noticable to most who know the XII in any setting.

Example: rider 180lbs
front Tire 38lbs, Rear 40lbs (also depends on what tire you have).
Front air shocks 8lbs, Rear air shocks, 35 to 40 lbs rear shock setting 2 or 3
Handel bars are adjustable 4 ways, seat is adjustable Trunk adjustable.

There are many variables that if one is off or needs replacing it can make the XII drive very bad or strange, Loose steering bearing, Loose swing arm bushings . Tire not mounted correctly, tire worn out or imperfection, to old or hard. Year is stamped on side of tire, in a oval (4213 means 42nd week of 20013) over 5 years old, junk imho..

If everything is correct the XII is one of the finest M/C's ever manufactured according to about 99% who have ever owned one. I have had 3 in 25 yrs & 100rds of thousands of miles on them and wish I still had one & I ride a wing.

Let us know some specifics and we will try to help.. Many knowledable owners on this board.. Good luck with your new ride and RIDE SAFE..
doug of no fla
Mike R
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 kawasaki voyager xii
Been liked: 0

Post by Mike R »

ill try to remember all of it, its an 89 with 37000 I have the suspension set up front 2# of air and the rear 16# of air and #2 for compression ,trunk has the extenders and its all the way back as for tires front is new rear is one year old per date code as for pressure front 40# and rear 40#. I have had the bike for two months and have put 2100 miles on it and I weight about 230 ish . I will check all of the thing that were mentioned thanks for the help
Voyager xxii
Looking forward to meeting new friends
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Also,make sure the triple tree clamp bolts are to the correct torque. :corn:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”