cruise control problems

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

keith
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2014 Kawasaki voyager abs
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

cruise control problems

Post by keith »

while on a trip,my cruise control quit working,yellow cruise light works,but cruise will not 'set'.green light will not come on. when it sometimes does set, it will kick back off in a few seconds..it was doing that for a while,now it wont set at all. fuse is good,brake switches,clutch switch,al seem to be set correctly..anyone had similar problem? what was the fix? would rather try to fix myself ,if not its off to the dealer and who knows when I will get it back!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: cruise control problems

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

What year bike? Do you have a service manual so you can diagnose the cruise control following the procedure?

Mine has been flawless in 50,000 miles so I can't be much help except knowing that there is a cruise control procedure in the service manual.
2010 Voyager 1700
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

it is a 2014,there is no shop manual available yet,i was told.the bike is under warranty still,so I will make arrangements to take it in. I was just hoping it would be a simple fix and not have to deal with taking it in. wiring on older models close to that year are probably the same,if anyone has a manual that would shed some light on this problem..thanks
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

Check the switch on the clutch and front and rear barke switches also
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

already checked brake and clutch switches,i assume there should be a speed sensor somewhere,being the cruise wont engage until you reach a certain speed..does anyone know where that is located at??I am thinking it may be a bad sensor,or if I am lucky,just a loose wire. I don't have a shop manual,hopefully someone out there does. 2014 model,but older models should be the same. I do have abs brakes,so I know it has to have sensors.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Check and make sure that the gear selector on the instrument panel is indicating the correct gear you've selected.

I took my Voyager to the dealer when my gear selector on the instrument panel would display 4th gear when I was in 6th gear. The cruise wouldn't work. This was with lots of miles on my Voyager. I'd have to stomp on the heel shifter to get the display to upshift the selected gear on the display.

Then after the repairs I found that the same problem was resurfacing. The problem this time was me, I upshift without the clutch. When I do this type of shifting I'm to gentle with the shift lever. My shifts weren't registering on the instrument panel. I now apply more pressure on the heel shifter during upshifts.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

gear selector is working fine,but thanks for the tip.can't get to dealer yet,but when I do and they figure out what is wrong,i will keep everyone posted in case they run into the same problem..bike has 5,600 miles on it sinse febuary 2015,so it is still like new.odd for something to go wrong already.
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

keith wrote:gear selector is working fine,but thanks for the tip.can't get to dealer yet,but when I do and they figure out what is wrong,i will keep everyone posted in case they run into the same problem..bike has 5,600 miles on it sinse febuary 2015,so it is still like new.odd for something to go wrong already.
Actually, infant failures in electronics are more common than later in the life as long as abuse or exposure isn't a factor.
2010 Voyager 1700
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

took bike to dealer Wednesday 12th of aug. be about a week or so before they can get to it..they said they have never seen this problem before..keep you posted..
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

august26.on board diagnostic showed all switches,sensors were good,kawasaki tech hot line told tech to replace ecm module,,<electronic control module> this is a 800 d0llar part !! it is under warranty thank god, so if you are having any problems with your cruise control and it is under warrany,i suggest you get it in to a dealer ,or you will be paying royally...800dollars does not include labor...part has not come in yet,but hopefully this will fix it...2weeks without a ride....I miss my ride....keep you posted
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

they installed new ecm module today,and guess what? that never fixed the problem.so now they have to get with Kawasaki techs and see what to do next.
mikey
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 kaw voyager 1200

Post by mikey »

keith wrote:they installed new ecm module today,and guess what? that never fixed the problem.so now they have to get with Kawasaki techs and see what to do next.

you might want to go back to the 1200 might have less trouble :gig:
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

my neighbor still has my old 1200 voyager,he hasn't had any problems in 10years plus..i will still be happy with my 1700,if....they ever get it fixed!!!
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

dealership never got back with me to see what to try next..so I brought bike home and decided to deal with it after riding season was over.at a different dealership...well I fixed the problem myself!!! upon checking all lights,turnsignals etc..before a trip I was taking,i discovered that the running lights on the license plate cover I bought from kurakyn were not lit up as usual,the brake lights on the license frame would work,but not the running lights. so I tore into the wiring connections.when I unfastened the wire that connects to the brake light,the running lights would come on!!this told me there was a short somewhere in the led lights in the license plate frame that I bought.so I left the wire from the frame brake light disconnected,took a ride and now cruise works perfect!!!!short in aftermarket led frame must have made made bike ecm think that brake was activated therefore not letting cruise engage!!! wow,what a pain..this has been..if you ever connect anything to the bikes brake lights wiring,,beware!!it will cause cruise control problems if some thing goes wrong..always check it first!!before wasting your time at a bike shop hoping they will figure it out,like I did. hope this tip saves someone a lot of headaches!!!!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Glad you fixed it. Sucks that the tech didn't check for additional wiring and that Kawasaki spent a rand or more on a problem that was so easily solved by a competent tech.
2010 Voyager 1700
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:Glad you fixed it. Sucks that the tech didn't check for additional wiring and that Kawasaki spent a rand or more on a problem that was so easily solved by a competent tech.
Even a great tech could miss something like that.Only after a couple hours of tracing could you figure out that an aftermarket license plate cover had a short .Good thing Keith does regular checks .
Congratulations on both noticing the light problem and getting the cruise fixed.
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by keith »

thanks..as they say [live and learn]..
trikerbiker
Current bike(s): 2011 kawasaki voyager 1700

Post by trikerbiker »

I also have what appears to be the same problem but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the rear brake switch as I've been able to repair the problem when it happens by hitting or "pumping" the rear brake pedal a couple times when it doesn't work and it will work fine for who knows how long. I haven't bothered to get a new switch yet because its not a big deal to just hit the brake a few times when it does it.....someday. safe riding!
cyberlord
Current bike(s): 2013 Suzuki C50, 2018 Kawasaki Voyager 1700

Post by cyberlord »

@trikerbiker

I had this issue after a few miles on a new Voyager, I just adjusted the adjustment screw.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”