A NICE '84!!!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

A NICE '84!!!

Post by trikebldr »

Broksonic,

Well, the guy with the '85 on CL never got back to me, so I kept looking, FORTUNATELY! Found an '84 on eBay for a bit more money, but in near new condition with only 23,000 miles on it. Barely broke in for me! No scratches or dents. The only visual imperfections found was the chrome on the starter cover is flaking off, so that will need to be re-chromed. A lot of the normally painted engine covers have been chromed, along with a few other frame parts, like the rear footboard brackets. Lots of accessories added, too, like trunk, saddlebag and front fender bars, plus extra lighting around the rear area and a chromed trailer hitch. A full compliment of Markland footboards and pedals for the driver, too. I'm not a fan of these, though, and will replace them with stock pegs and pedals. Anybody interested in running boards for their Voyager 1300? These are really nice ones compared to what came on my '85 last year. It even still has the original soft luggage that comes with these bikes. The only thing I noticed is that it has the very basic radio gear installed. My first '83 had the full compliment of optional radio gear and I really liked it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221908903976?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: A NICE '84!!!

Post by Lucasind »

...Very nice ! :perfect10: ........It looks like you have found your "ride" to and from the Hurley rally coming up in a short 8 months ! .........Tony :-D
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
broksonic
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by broksonic »

trikebldr wrote:Broksonic,

Well, the guy with the '85 on CL never got back to me, so I kept looking, FORTUNATELY! Found an '84 on eBay for a bit more money, but in near new condition with only 23,000 miles on it. Barely broke in for me! No scratches or dents. The only visual imperfections found was the chrome on the starter cover is flaking off, so that will need to be re-chromed. A lot of the normally painted engine covers have been chromed, along with a few other frame parts, like the rear footboard brackets. Lots of accessories added, too, like trunk, saddlebag and front fender bars, plus extra lighting around the rear area and a chromed trailer hitch. A full compliment of Markland footboards and pedals for the driver, too. I'm not a fan of these, though, and will replace them with stock pegs and pedals. Anybody interested in running boards for their Voyager 1300? These are really nice ones compared to what came on my '85 last year. It even still has the original soft luggage that comes with these bikes. The only thing I noticed is that it has the very basic radio gear installed. My first '83 had the full compliment of optional radio gear and I really liked it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221908903976?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you end up with that E-Bay bike?

I noticed that the listing is closed..

I don't know what it is with the CL posters these days... I found a local listing that claimed to have a "bunch" of XII stuff for sale... called him 4 times and never got back with me either.. even left him a voicemail message telling him I might be interested in the whole lot. No call back.. oh well his lost..

I see that the CL bike was reposted 3 times since I first seen it. In fact it was reposted again today.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Yes, that eBay bike is all mine now! Paid in full. Leaving early Wednesday morning to pick it up. I feel like a five-year-old on Christmas eve!

I originally asked the CL guy if he would take my 17" bass boat in trade. He replied "No trades". Then he asked for some pics of it, so I sent him about a dozen pics and never heard from him again. Pretty flakey! Kinda makes me even more suspicious of his claim that it "...runs and handles as it should". However, I would be willing to make the six hour drive to go see it and hear it. I have relatives near him!

I think most potential buyers shy away from such a bike because of it's age and it's rarity. They want a daily driver that doesn't demand constant attention. That's good for us die-hards who don't care if we spend our every waking hour playing with them! I also now have several shelves loaded with good spare parts, so I should be able to keep them running for a good long time.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

That looks like a great find ,trikebldr. :thmup: :perfect10:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

cushman eagle wrote:That looks like a great find ,trikebldr. :thmup: :perfect10:
THANKS! Sometimes I do get really lucky!
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !

Post by Lucasind »

Hey Bruce, Make sure you take that digital camera with you when you go get the "new bike".
We love pictures ! Are you taking a truck to go get it ??? This bike is at a dealership ?
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Lucasind wrote:Hey Bruce, Make sure you take that digital camera with you when you go get the "new bike".
We love pictures ! Are you taking a truck to go get it ??? This bike is at a dealership ?
What??? The dealer didn't post enough pics to suit you?

Driving my little S-10 pickup with my 4 X 8 trailer to pick it up tomorrow. Taking a friend with me since my right ankle is giving me fits again!
Yes, it's at an Arctic Cat dealership. They took it in on trade for an Arctic Cat. That '85 Voyager that I bought last year was also from a used bike dealer near Dallas. Dealers tend to take some great pics and post short videos showing flaws and letting you hear them start up and run. That helps a lot to know if all six cylinders are running!

Tony, gotta tell ya that you inspired me to get my new lift table for working on bikes and mowers! And, now it will help me in another way! Loading a 940lb bike using sloping ramps from a trailer can be treacherous at best, so I will be rolling the bike off the trailer onto my table, then lowering it and rolling it down the little ramps of my table. The dealer says he has a table we can use to load it, too!

Here's how I unloaded the "85 last year by myself.

broksonic
Traveler
Traveler

Post by broksonic »

trikebldr wrote:Yes, that eBay bike is all mine now! Paid in full. Leaving early Wednesday morning to pick it up. I feel like a five-year-old on Christmas eve!
GRATZ! And you should have plenty of time to get it ready for the Hurley Rally!
Tony, gotta tell ya that you inspired me to get my new lift table for working on bikes and mowers! And, now it will help me in another way! Loading a 940lb bike using sloping ramps from a trailer can be treacherous at best, so I will be rolling the bike off the trailer onto my table, then lowering it and rolling it down the little ramps of my table. The dealer says he has a table we can use to load it, too!
Wish my garage had enough room for a lift table.. seen one sell at an auction about 3 months ago sell for $100 but my garage cant even fit my truck in it. And being I rent, my landlord doesn't want me to build a new one even though there is another concrete slab on property.
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !

Post by Lucasind »

....YES ,the dealer DID take plenty of pictures, but take some of the trip/process of loading and unloading so we ALL can feel like we were there ..AND helped ! :gig: ..........Tony :-D
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Brok, my garage is also small and cramped, unlike some people's mechanical palaces (hint, hint, TONY!). I bought the Titan table with outriggers so my feet would have someplace to plant while loading the bike on the table. It is indeed a very large table and takes up a lot of room in my garage, but they do come with wheels at one end and a wheeled/handled dolly to lift and carry the other end so it can be rolled outside, or just out of the way, to be used. I also store my zero-turn mower on top of mine, so it takes up no more space than my mower, basically. They DEFINITELY don't just lift up against the wall for storage!
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !

Post by Lucasind »

Ha -HA there trike ! In no way is my shop a" mechanical palace" :lol: .....In a perfect world... my little 24x45 work area could be a WHOLE lot better !!!

**Our club member "trikebldr" is on his way home from Lexington KY....to Ind MO.(nearly 9 hours ...and 600 miles).with the (new to him)6 cyl. Voyager, hoping all goes well with that endeavor ! :pray: .....Moving a touring bike ,on a small trailer ,that far, may present a problem ...or two....(ask me how I know)....can't wait for a update on the trip.............................Tony :-D
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

This is for Tony. When I picked up my '85 Voyager last year in Texas, I had to have one of the salesmen load it onto my trailer. I could hardly walk with my bum left hip, which has been replaced now and feels great! We were all standing around trying to figure out how to get that behemoth up onto the trailer without tipping it over on the way up the ramp! Another salesman saw us, came out, jumped on the bike, got a slight run at it and ran it right up into the trailer! I really thought he was going to jump it right over my truck, but all went well. Well, sort of! He did do a lot of damage to my ramp! You can't hit a single aluminum ramp with a 940lb bike with a 250lb rider at 20mph and not do some damage!

So, this time I was even more concerned as this "new" '84 Voyager is in almost mint original condition. But, we backed the trailer up to the base of a fairly steep slope up their driveway and laid the ramp in place. It was almost level at this point! We had four young, strong guys ready to balance the bike as the fifth guy rolled it into the trailer easily! Whew! BIG load off my mind! After about 1/2 hour setting the straps we were ready to roll back to KC. That extra 1000lbs in the trailer sure cut my gas mileage down. Except for a couple of idiot truckers causing all sorts of grief for several other drivers, all went very smoothly driving home! Some big, black cyclist stayed right on my tail the whole way, though!

Got home just as it started to rain a bit, so I backed the rig under the carport for the night. Beautiful morning today so I unloaded it and drove it in for it's title inspection. All went well, EXCEPT...! The clutch on this one slips under full throttle just like the one did on the '85. Also, the lock on the trunk is not keyed like the rest of the bike, so I need to get that changed. I HATE multiple keys! Otherwise, this is like a brand new bike!

And, Tony, you would just LOVE these aftermarket mufflers! Not loud at all, but they sure do make those six cylinders sound good! I wish there was a way to accurately record the sound and post it. I also talked to the PO this morning and he said he put a pair of Norris cams in it to work with these mufflers for an added 22hp. Best thing of all, though, is when I looked into the gas tank with a flashlight, not a speck of rust at all!!!! I swear this is a brand new bike! Had to have been stored inside a warm, dry house all of it's life. The buttons for the trip computer are a bit stiff and don't reliably change the computer's modes.

This bike, like the '85, came with Markland running boards and appropriate heel/toe shifters, but I absolutely hate them, so I just ordered some stock pegs and pedals for it.

This is the best bike deal I have ever found! now, I can hardly wait to get the new sidecar hooked to it.

trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

How many of you still have the original owner's manual or tool kit with your bike? This "new" '84 came with them, plus the original soft-sided luggage that came with the bike.

I'll bet you'll never see two of them side-by-side again, either, at least not owned by the same person!

broksonic
Traveler
Traveler

Post by broksonic »

Guess your original subject title said it all "NICE".. great looking bike. Really liked the last picture with the "twin" bikes.

My XII had the bags when I got it.. but not the rest. Those things are expensive too.

Be looking forward to see it with the sidecar.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

trikebldr wrote:How many of you still have the original owner's manual or tool kit with your bike? This "new" '84 came with them, plus the original soft-sided luggage that came with the bike.

I'll bet you'll never see two of them side-by-side again, either, at least not owned by the same person!

I picked up an 84 last fall .has all that plus base and supplement manuals .
Love seeing two right next to each other .
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !

Post by Lucasind »

:clap: ...Well done Bruce ! very impressive ! Glad to hear that the long "road trip" went O.K. !
Your "old S-10" looks darn good too ! In previous posts , I envisioned a old "beat up" truck by your description :lol: . The side by side picture of the bikes is as good as it gets !

As you stated ...when loading,having the base of the ramp "near level" takes away the possibility of "bad things" happening ! How in the heck did there just happen to be "4 young guys" PLUS another 250 lb. guy to "grab the bull by the horns" and run her up on the trailer ! YOUR LUCKY DAY !!
Over the decades....when I go buy a bike ...Ive been told ....there it is ...GOOD LUCK :gig:

As far as the mufflers go...... mine are not stock either (had no choice) ...but mine are not LOUD either, and quite pleasant sounding,...... as you said....don't try to record their sound and post a video.... that does no accurate justice,we will ALL just have to wait for the rally ,to hear/see your beautiful bike ! hey....I think there was ONE at last year's rally..... YOU will make it TWO six clyinder Voyagers ! (unless I take mine up to WI. :shock: )....but for right now,my plans are to take my XII to Hurley,cause when the rally is over ...I will ride west to the Sturgis SD. area.

And, about the running boards,and or heel/ toe shifter,coming off.....I couldn't agree more !
To each their own on that ! ....but it ain't for me either ! enjoy your new purchase....and keep us posted on what your doing ....or thinking !.........................Tony :-D

and ya got away with a Kentucky plate on it :lol:
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Tony,
Yeah, I always get a bit worried about how to load something this massive and "tippy". My ramps don't give me anywhere to get a foothold for balance. To build ramps wide enough just isn't practical for how often I need them. I carry dozens of ratchet straps and a couple of strap-winches to slowly winch the bike in using the straps to keep it balanced, but that can take a couple of hours to do it correctly, taking tiny amounts of slack, one inch at a time!

Those four strong younger guys were the sales staff at the Arctic Cat dealership and were just wheeling all of their stock out into the yard for the day. (Yes, I got there an hour early!) REALLY nice people working at that place. They were just as concerned about protecting this machine as I was!

The best way to describe the sound of the bike is that it reminds me of a Porsche Carerra taking off out of the pits.

As for the running boards, I find myself spending way too much time finding each part of the shift pedals, and which one is upshift or downshift. I'm sure this would become second nature in time, but not for me! And the platforms are so big that I catch my foot on the edge of the platform every time I start out. I just don't like having to lift my foot and put it over the pedal each time I need to use the rear brake. I'm going to remove them as the main source of foot rest, but unless somebody is willing to pay about $100 for the full set up, I will make up some mounts to use the platforms as highway "pegs". These are a really nicely made Markland setup! I do like their quality (typical of Markland), just not the typical function.

Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !

Post by Lucasind »

:thmup: ....That ol'1300 has some nice looking chrome on it ! wish I had that on mine !
(but I won't DO anything about that)..................Tony :-D
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Lucasind wrote::thmup: ....That ol'1300 has some nice looking chrome on it ! wish I had that on mine !
(but I won't DO anything about that)..................Tony :-D
Several engine covers were chromed, and the one right next to the down-shift pedal has most of it flaked off from boot-rubs, I'm sure. The starter cover is also losing it's chrome for some reason, so both covers will need to be re-chromed.

Actually, I think a LOT of chrome would look REALLY good with all the flat black on yours! Flat black, gloss black and chrome, with just few tiny bits of red thrown in!!! Oh, YEAH! Now you're giving me ideas of what to do about the paint on my '85 now that I have another example of the original bike!

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”