No Power issue

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

winger53215
Current bike(s): None.....possibly a 2011 voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

No Power issue

Post by winger53215 »

Good Morning,

I have a 2011 Voyager and I accidentally left my key in the on position for over 8 hours. I think I fried the battery as it wouldn't even charge. I bought a new battery and there still is no power when I turn the key on. Is there a fuse that may have blown? Not sure where to start. The new battery is on the tender and the light stays red.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: No Power issue

Post by ekap1200 »

winger53215 wrote:Good Morning,

I have a 2011 Voyager and I accidentally left my key in the on position for over 8 hours. I think I fried the battery as it wouldn't even charge. I bought a new battery and there still is no power when I turn the key on. Is there a fuse that may have blown? Not sure where to start. The new battery is on the tender and the light stays red.
Battery tenders are not designed to charge a battery, just maintain it. Follow the directions for initial charging of your new battery before putting into service.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
winger53215

Post by winger53215 »

They told me the battery came charged.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

winger53215 wrote:They told me the battery came charged.
Did you get any paperwork with the new battery ? from the manufacturer . Keep in mind these are counter salesmen quick to make a sale. What type of battery is it ?
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

The store I work at sells Exide brand batteries. They usually come with with the hardware to attach the wires, a new length of vent tubing, and, most importantly, a bottle of acid with enough to fill all the cells up to the upper level line on the case. They come in what is called a dry charge state. After adding the acid they will be close fully charged (12.6 volts). I usually advise the customer to put the battery on a charger for at least an hour at no more that 2 amps before trying to start the engine. In all the years I've worked in the auto parts area, you wouldn't believe the batteries I've seen ruined because the customer either installed it wrong (positive side hooked to the ground cable) or hooked the charger up backwards.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Wasn't there another reply here from last night, about a possible security anti-theft reset issue that may be causing no power. Which is a very good thing to bring up. A Harley D. wont start if the KEY-BOB has a dead battery in it. But still, you have to start at the beginning. You had a good starting engine, and just drained the battery dead. The owners manual should have some info on what to look for.
Anyhow, What type of tender do you have ? Not all have the same led colors to indicate whats going on. For instance I have a tender for a small electric fork lift that has a green light for when it is charging and then a red led to indicate 100%.
There is always a starting point to any job, and with any battery related machine, step one is to VERIFY that you have 100 % charge on the battery.
Then proceed from there. Not owning or having worked on this bike before I would still go to step one. If it has a security feature then read up on that.
get a test lamp and proceed from there.
Also give us some history of the bike and what type of battery it is. Yes to the fact that a gel cell comes charged from the factory. But allot can happen from there. Maybe the truck broke down in Arizona and sat in the hot sun and baked for a few days at about 120 deg. then went off to Toledo and sat in the trailer for a week at 12 deg. Then in some store for a few months until you bought it. Did you buy this bike new ? If it has a security feature I would think someone would have told you this or it is in the owners manual. Anyway I would have thought some more 1700 owners would have chimed in as I am sure you may not be the first one to leave a key on before.
Keep us up to speed on your issue and we will try to help you out.
Carlbla
Current bike(s): 2012 kawasaki vulcan voyager

Post by Carlbla »

There is a problem with wires chaffing on the ign switch that blows the main fuse I would start there check the fuse if blown check the wires coming from the switch.
winger53215

Post by winger53215 »

Thanks for all your responses. I am taking the new battery back today and having them make sure its working. I am looking into all the above suggestions. I just want to get this thing parked before the snow flies.....lol
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Me Again »

I see you have only had the bike for a few months . Congratulations.
Before taking the battery back put a meter on it when it's not connected to the bike and check voltage ,also put your charger on it and check to make sure the charger is good (hook it up on your car and see if it shows charge).
The RED charge indicator shows either reverse polarity or dead short.
Also noticed your in Wisconsin ,so start planning your trip to Hurley.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”