keith
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2014 Kawasaki voyager abs
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

what to see and do around hurley??

Post by keith »

just what is there to see in hurley? all I can tell from internet is a few bars,resteraunts,and a park with a nice waterfall nearby.anyone local can describe the local scenery or nice trips to take,if I go it will be over 750miles one way for me,although it is always a good time to get together with fellow riders,would like to know what else there is to do for 4days or so. I am sure more info will come out later,but need to put in for vacation time now. thanks
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: what to see and do around hurley??

Post by ekap1200 »

keith wrote:just what is there to see in hurley? all I can tell from internet is a few bars,resteraunts,and a park with a nice waterfall nearby.anyone local can describe the local scenery or nice trips to take,if I go it will be over 750miles one way for me,although it is always a good time to get together with fellow riders,would like to know what else there is to do for 4days or so. I am sure more info will come out later,but need to put in for vacation time now. thanks
Well there is all us AVA guys and gals of course :gig:

We always have some good rides and find some places of interest. And it not the destination but the voyage that lures most of us. The 4 days go by so fast , to fast once you get to know us and make new friends. Bike show , skill games, shop talk is my favorite thing to gab about with my fellow motor-heads.
And the latest gossip of what is going on in everyones neck of the woods. Marie and I have made friends with people from just about every state from many walks of life and interests. We will have you feeling like family in just a day or two..... For me any new scenery is good scenery and I always enjoy a new road to explore, and new food to sample. Oh and I just like to hear that 4cyl run for hours on end beggin for more fuel to drink.
Jersey Gene Kap..
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
krasmu
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager Xii (zg1200)
Been liked: 18 times

Post by krasmu »

I don't know that area well at all, but I did attend the Harley "fall color ride" up in that area in Tomahawk this past summer. We did around 850 miles in three days of riding on the fantastic back roads. The roads are great on a bike with the way they wind there way around and in and out of valley after valley. the views are breathtaking with so many undisturbed miles of woodlands and lake after lake. Water falls and pristine parks are every where. fortunately I was riding with some guys who live in the area and knew all the out of the way places to go. There is a reason they call the north woods of Wisconsin "Gods Country". It truly is beautiful. Plus I never found bad food at any of the small mom and pops cafes that dot the area.
Kirk Rasmussen
Machesney Park, Illinois

"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself."-Charles Chaplin
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Are any rides planned into Canada that we need a passport for? :thk:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

I really wish I had the information that you all are asking for. But at this time I have nothing to give you. As soon as I get the information I will post it.
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

cushman eagle wrote:Are any rides planned into Canada that we need a passport for? :thk:
Canada might be a bit of a stretch as it's a five + hour one way ride .
With all the scenic beauty in northern Wisconsin and the U.P. there should be no need to go that far .
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Thank you for your reply Me Again :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
broksonic
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by broksonic »

The only time i was in the Hurley area was during winter, on the snowmobiles. Great trails in that area, always a bar to be found.

Just from the time in the winter, i cant wait to see what it looks like in the summer months! GREAT area just from the drive up there in the winter!
misft
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII
2003 Voyager XII
Been liked: 13 times

Post by misft »

As ekap said, wherever the Voyagers are is a good place to go. But now if that's not enough, Bayfield is a quaint little lakeside town about 60 miles from Hurley along the Superior lake shore (scenic ride). There are plenty of waterfalls near Hurley if you don't mind riding some gravel roads. Or you could go south to Little Bohemia near the tiny town of Manitowish Waters (the bullit holes are still in the walls from when the G-men had a shoot-out with the Dillinger gang). Perhaps a ride to the porcupine mtns on the Lake Superior Shore of Michigans Upper Penisula. And if the road is the destination, ride the Great River Road in Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin or, if you are coming from the east, a great ride would be the Lake Michigan shoreline in Michigan, cross the awesome Mackinaw Bridge and ride across the UP to Hurley.
Neal
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager, 2002 Voyager

Post by Neal »

If you feel like a little shopping, You be only about 100 miles from Aerostitch in Duluth. :hmm:
Dealer for all Air Rider products, and Nolan helmets and headsets.
forplay
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by forplay »

LOL
I was going to ask the same question. What is the attraction to Hurley.
I am trying to get some local guys I ride with to join the AVA and go to the rally this year. It is a 750 mile ride from Cleveland Ohio. I have done some research and found if I ride to Ludington Mich. and take the SS Badger ferry to Manitowac Wis. it cuts off 200 miles and 2 hrs. of the trip plus a 4 hour relaxing boat ride plus I don't have to deal with Chicago Traffic and idiot cagers in Chicago. $249 round trip isn't to bad. (Me, Bike and trailer)
So far that is the best part of the trip until I get to see friends from the AVA that I haven't seen in a couple years.
I can only afford 1 major trip a year so I am not 100% sold on Hurley. ???????
:pray: :hmm: :thk: :bat:
Keep the shiny side up
vxiirider
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 1800 Goldwing Trike
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by vxiirider »

We plan on taking the ferry across Lake Michigan from Ludington. We will stay over night in Ludington on Saturday June 18th, cross the lake on Sunday and ride the rest of the way to Hurley arriving in the late afternoon. As always we are looking forward to our annual reunion with our AVA friends , old and new. The ride from the ferry dock in Manitowoc to Hurley is approximately 260 miles.
John Ramsay
Charlotte, Michigan
'02 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike
It's the journey, not the destination
forplay
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by forplay »

Have you ever taken the ferry before? What is the load and unload time?
Keep the shiny side up
sir old dirt
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): Honda Goldwing 2013
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sir old dirt »

We did the ferry from Wisconsin to Ludington many years ago. A group of AVA members took the trip over to then ride from Ludington up through the Upper Peninsula, go west to upper Wisconsin then back down towards Chicago from there.
As I recall we boarded the boat about 10:30 pm, tried to sleep on deck going across and got off the ferry maybe around 7:30 am or so. There was nothing to see going over and was almost a non event. Boarding time was maybe an hour. All our bikes were placed pretty much together and we didn't even tie them down. Everyone placed their bikes on the center stand and climbed the stairs to the deck above. Sleep was about impossible because of the loud engine noise and vibration so everyone just lazed around watching the children run around most of the trip. Getting off at Ludington took about the same amount of time. We rode maybe an hour before stopping for breakfast and then started getting serious about the trip around the Upper Peninsula.
Was a really fun trip because of the 10 or so bikes in our group. Almost everyone was two up and had a great time with everyone along. The one ride over the lake was just about enough though.
Sir Old Dirt
forplay
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by forplay »

Thanks for the info. A group going to the rally is riding north in Michigan and then heading to Hurley from there. I am into boating and the water and thought that could be fun to do.
Talking about strapping down the bike. Is that something they provide or is that my responsible?
Keep the shiny side up
vxiirider
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 1800 Goldwing Trike
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by vxiirider »

It's a 4 hour trip across the lake and they request that you bring 2 tie downs. Passenger fare is $59 per person and a motorcycle is $39 or $59 W/trailer. Departure times are 8:30 AM or 8:30 PM. Because of a time change arrival in Manitowoc is 11:30 AM or PM .

You can Google SS Badger Ferry Schedule for reservation info.
John Ramsay
Charlotte, Michigan
'02 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike
It's the journey, not the destination
kawman12
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2012 Kawasaki Voyager 1700

Post by kawman12 »

My wife and I plus 2 other couples took the ferry across from Ludington last July. I was a great experience. I think we were there about 1 1/2 hours early, but our bikes were the last thing loaded except for a semi. it actually was a lot of fun watching the ferry get loaded. The workers loading the cars work their butt off! Nice thing is our bikes were first getting unloaded when we reached Manitowoc. I would recommend only going one way if you are going to take the ferry, there are too many nice roads to see on Michigan coast line. Be sure to ride the "tunnel of trees" - Road M119. It is only about 20 miles long but worth it. Other towns to check out - Harbor Springs, Traverse City and of course drive the Mackinac Bridge.
misft
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII
2003 Voyager XII
Been liked: 13 times

Post by misft »

If you come over on the ferry, you may want to check out the WWII era submarine USS Cobia at http://www.wisconsinmaritime/org. Also, on the way to Hurley I recommend Hwy 55 north from Shawano (about 40 mi northwest of Green Bay on Hwy 10). I haven't been on that road for many years, but the last time I was, it was Wisconsins own "tunnel of trees".
forplay
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by forplay »

Thanks for everyone's input and helpful suggestions.
Keep the shiny side up
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

misft wrote:If you come over on the ferry, you may want to check out the WWII era submarine USS Cobia at http://www.wisconsinmaritime/org. Also, on the way to Hurley I recommend Hwy 55 north from Shawano (about 40 mi northwest of Green Bay on Hwy 10). I haven't been on that road for many years, but the last time I was, it was Wisconsins own "tunnel of trees".
Hi, you replaced the period with a slash so your link doesn't work. Here is the sub's link:
http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/the-su ... uss-cobia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;

Return to “27th Annual AVA Rally Hurley Wi. June 20-23, 2016”