Oil Leak

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bubbak
Streetster
Streetster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Oil Leak

Post by bubbak »

Hi, new to the board. I am working on my brothers 2001 Voyager and he a a oil leak we cant find. It is on the left side of the engine. 1St was thinking the shifter seal, not it. The leak is higher than shifter and alittle more towards front. We can find it with the exhaust on. Before we remove the exhaust is there a common spot where oil leaks on these? Would like to have all needed parts before we tear apart. Thanks for any help. Bob
carl leo
Guru
Guru
Current bike(s): 96 voyager zg1200
76 kz900 LTD
60 NSU supermax
Been liked: 0

Re: Oil Leak

Post by carl leo »

common oil leak is from the waterpump. there is a seal that walks out and causes the drip...
:hpdc:
bubbak
Streetster
Streetster

Post by bubbak »

Thanks for quick reply. Is this a simple fix or require a new water pump? Bob
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

A common issue with this bike, many of us have been there.... Be sure its engine oil and not gear oil migrating forward up the drive shaft. It can be a simple repair for some and a nightmare for others. Depends on your level of mechanical repair and tool box. Carl Leo had sent me the kit he makes up containing all the items needed for this task. You will see the weep hole in the photo and the kit of required parts.

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
bubbak
Streetster
Streetster

Post by bubbak »

Don't look too bad. I am new to board how do I contact Carl Leo? Thanks Bob
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Carl was the first person to respond to your question. At the bottom of his response there are three buttons, Profile, PM & Email
Just click on either the Email or PM button and send him a message. You can ask for his phone number and call him direct if it's an issue that requires more questions/instructions than emailing.
I would give you his phone # but some hacker programs can and do obtain numbers and email addresses from forums and use them for the wrong reason.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”