Help!

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

chefman84
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help!

Post by chefman84 »

Tonight after work I turned the key on my '98 Voyager XII, and when I hit the starter button I lost all power. After turning the key on and off several times all the dash lights would come back on,but upon hitting the starter button, lost everything again. Than all the dash lights would comeback on barely and fade out before coming back on full strength, only to go out completely again when I hit the starter button! Has anybody else encountered this and able to give me an idea of where to start looking???
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Help!

Post by debron »

I would start with the battery. Could be the battery and/or the charging system isn't charging it. If the battery is very very weak, the load of the starter could be enough to drain it so that there is not enough power left to even power the light load of the dash lights. After a moments rest, the lights may light but hitting the starter again will zap the battery again until the nothing comes on.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
k7nutN7nut
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1987 KLR 650
2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII
'00 & '86 Voyager's(parts)
1969 Honda CT90
1985 Honda TRX 125

Post by k7nutN7nut »

What he said^^^^^^

and, you didn't mention "how long" your bike sat since last rode?
Check battery connections, could be corroded.
1987 KLR 650
'00 Voyager XII
chefman84
Streetster
Streetster

Post by chefman84 »

The battery is the first thing a buddy of mine thought as well, but I just bought the dang thing last spring! Battery terminals and connections are clean, and the length of time between rides was 10 hours, I had rode it to work yesterday morning, and actually every day last week.
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

Still ck battery, you may have left the trunk lite on, a well known problem. The screw comes loose on mounting for switch and when you shut the trunk, the trunk lid misses the switch and leaves the lite on. Check fluid in Battery, Next would be connectors , Battery Ground or large white connector to left of frame barely visible by following harness from ignition along frame in front left of faux tank. It can sometimes get corroded. Check and make sure your alternator connections are good and see if it is charging battery when running.
doug of no fla
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

even though you rode the bike only 10 hours earlier, doesn't mean that the battery didn't die. I've had it happen many times, park the car in the garage in the evening and nothing would happen when I hit the switch the next morning. A plate breaks or a bus bar and the battery is just a useless plastic case filled with lead and acid.
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I would agree with the previous posts as well, especially the trunk light. I've found mine just hanging and the screws laying in the tub (laughing at me!). If the battery and trunk lights check out try this, with the handlebars turned left turn the key, see if you have dash lights if not then with the key turned to the on position turn your handlebars left and right a few times watching the dash for lights to come on or flicker. I know you think I'll be hiding in the bushes watching and laughing at you but I had a wire break in the bundle that runs under the false tank (left side of frame along/near the battery). There was a problem with a lot of the Voyagers where the wire-tie/tie-wrap was pulled too tight and eventually broke the wire or wires internally. You might even cut the tie-wrap and wiggle those wires slowly to see if you get power back. If you find that it is a damaged wire, don't sweat it just identify which one it is. Cut it and strip it back on both ends, splice a piece of wire in there and cover appropriately. I slid two pieces of shrink tubing (one longer than the other) on before splicing, after I was done soldering the splice I slid the short piece of shrink tube up, shrunk it and then the longer one to ensure that it was protected from corrosion and to strengthen it.
Check the easy stuff first, like the trunk light!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
chefman84
Streetster
Streetster

Post by chefman84 »

Thanks for all the help guys...I put the charger on it this morning, and when I hit the starter button all the lights stay on and I get the steady clicking of a dead battery.....my question would be, and it may be a dumb one, how can I tell if the alternator is charging the battery while it is running...I hate to spend 100+ on a new battery only to find out it was the alternator!
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

The quick way is to watch the headlight when you rev the engine, it should get a little brighter, the right way to know how well it's charging is with a volt meter on the battery post while running and reving, but I have found once a motorcycle battery has been drained they don't like coming back to life again.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

wet cell batteries can lose a cell. Especially if they are not kept at the proper water levels. If it boils dry the battery will be cooked. I suggest a replacing it with a Gel Cell or Glass Matt battery. Use a battery tender and keep it connected when the bike is parked in your garage. The clock alone will drain the battery slowly over time. First thing is to get the bike started and put a volt meter on battery terminals and reve the engine over 2 grand and see if it is putting out the proper voltage. If not then replacing the battery alone won't fix your problem. at idle the voltage should read 12 volts. running it up past 2000 it should read between 13.8 and 14.2 if the alternator is working properly.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

I have always had a cigerette lighter socket mounted in the right hand glove box directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse that way it is easy to charge and you can purchase a digital battery tester that plugs into it for about $15.00. Very good investment. It checks voltage & charging system & condition of battery. Walmart used to have them but just see them in auto parts stores now.
doug of no fla
chris.trombley
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 kawasaki zg1200/b7 voyager

Post by chris.trombley »

I had a an atl. die on me if you own a service manual it will tell you how to check the alt I bought one on line for 345.00 not cheap but I did not want to play with it again good luck
Live life to the fullest and have fun you only get one chance
Chris north Ga
93 xll[ totaled]
99 Suzuki Intruder 1500 lc
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

..... thank you jim and doug , for finally suggesting the use of a METER, If the battery is fully charged,,, and u still have problems, look elsewhere. :-D
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
chefman84
Streetster
Streetster

Post by chefman84 »

just a quick follow-up....started with a new battery...fired right up and put 200miles on her today....fingers crossed that it was the only problem! Thanks everybody for all the help!!
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

FYI... Some bikes you can do this with, and some you can't, but if you want a quick alternator test, start your bike, bring the rpm's up above 2000, and then pull one of your battery leads off. If it keeps running, alternator is working. Good luck.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Turbo4x4 wrote:FYI... Some bikes you can do this with, and some you can't, but if you want a quick alternator test, start your bike, bring the rpm's up above 2000, and then pull one of your battery leads off. If it keeps running, alternator is working. Good luck.
I wouldn't do that, could blow up the Alt, a simple meter is the way to go.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
k7nutN7nut
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1987 KLR 650
2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII
'00 & '86 Voyager's(parts)
1969 Honda CT90
1985 Honda TRX 125

Post by k7nutN7nut »

doug of so fla wrote:I have always had a cigerette lighter socket mounted directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse that way it is easy to charge

Second that, as a matter of fact, my V has been in the shop all weekend, because I changed the blood & liver and left the charger plugged into my cig plug.
Also, my Yaesu FTM-10SR I replaced my Clarion PK 9090V with, has a built in volt meter and, as I was playing around with it last nite, it tells me the temp in the face of the radio! BONUS! :thmup:

Get a volt meter, with the false tank off, stick the leads on the battery, after you start it you should see the volts go up...if not, your alternator is out.
1987 KLR 650
'00 Voyager XII

Return to “General Chat”